1.4 TSI Oil Consumption

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
The ring problem from what i understand causes the oil consumption problem. Also misfiring creates bore wash, rumour toothat diliberate overfueling is used from cold, which contributes to it by causing more ware on the rings. Then the more oil burnt, degeneration of plugs which makes things worse.

Theres also a problem with crankshaft play causing pistons to go.

Was it cylinder 4 that went? Any oil consumption prior?

brokendown

Am not putting anymore in just now, gonna leave it till garage see it next thursday. Got the impression they were not keen to do much as it had satisfied SEAT guidlines weighing the oil after 60 miles and it appeared to have uses none. But 388 miles later its only showing at 1/3 of the shaded area.

Even suggested that it may have used more oil if i had been enjoying its perfomance a little more than normal FFS! :shrug:

Was that your white Bocanegra in the garage yesterday?

brokendown

Yeah its getting a new engine as on inspection to do the rings the bores were scored. :(
They have had it all week and got the engine in yesterday. Prob be without another week. HAve a Silver Ibiza Copa courtesy car.

I was in getting more oil yesterday. Going to go through the same process as before with measuring oil useage and see where we go from there.
On the plus side - at least you're getting a new engine which should be the end of your oil problems.

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Its a shame but the car has never had any other major probs like misfires etc.. Once i get new engine i might just keep it as there is nothing else out there that i like or ticks as many boxes imo. Quite rare also.

You dealing with Gary?

brokendown

Its a shame but the car has never had any other major probs like misfires etc.. Once i get new engine i might just keep it as there is nothing else out there that i like or ticks as many boxes imo. Quite rare also.

You dealing with Gary?

Got to agree that its a great car apart from the oil issues.

Ive been dealing with Bruce. No complaints with their service - great bunch of guys.

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Got to agree that its a great car apart from the oil issues.

Ive been dealing with Bruce. No complaints with their service - great bunch of guys.

Whats the latest on yours then? I've not heard from garage yet so i take it there is nothing to report. I though i would miss it more but i dont really, perhaps a sign to move on lol..

G3K

3 points and counting...
Aug 14, 2010
Hatfield, Herts
Yeah its getting a new engine as on inspection to do the rings the bores were scored. :(
They have had it all week and got the engine in yesterday. Prob be without another week. HAve a Silver Ibiza Copa courtesy car.

Looks like mine is heading the same way.

I haven't had any other problems apart from stupid oil usage.

The garage seems to think I need new piston rings at the least, just waiting for a call back from them. These cars.......!

brokendown

Whats the latest on yours then? I've not heard from garage yet so i take it there is nothing to report. I though i would miss it more but i dont really, perhaps a sign to move on lol..

Put just over a litre of oil in and managed 800 miles before it needed another top up. SEAT did the top up so I don't know how much it took - from past experience it would've needed another litre (maybe even more as they filled it above the max mark on the dipstick)!
Is the Copa courtesy car you're using a DSG? I need an automatic so once ones available I can get my car retested again for oil useage.

brokendown

Copa was manual. Got mine back today. Whole new engine. Seems ok but not drove anywhere apart from home from garage.

Be interesting to hear if that's your problems solved. Apparently the motors have been redesigned to eliminate the oil useage problems. The motors with the fault are CAVE units which have been replaced with CTHG engines. Should be a sticker in the left side of your boot telling you which engine was originally fitted.

There's loads about this on the other forums - VW, Audi & Skoda. Fingers crossed your cars sorted now.

brokendown

Don't know whereabout you'll find it on the engine. Once I find out I'll post it - or if anyone else out there knows the answer could you let us know.

Cheers

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
Copa was manual. Got mine back today. Whole new engine. Seems ok but not drove anywhere apart from home from garage.

Be interesting to hear if that's your problems solved. Apparently the motors have been redesigned to eliminate the oil useage problems. The motors with the fault are CAVE units which have been replaced with CTHG engines. Should be a sticker in the left side of your boot telling you which engine was originally fitted.

There's loads about this on the other forums - VW, Audi & Skoda. Fingers crossed your cars sorted now.

Going to have a look at a 10 plate cupra this afternoon for the GF, will this likely have the CAVE engine fitted and if so would it be worth avoiding? The GF doesnt do much mileage at all and i worry that if there is a problem with it it will be out of the 6 months warranty remaining from the original 3 years, any advise appreciated..

Nov 23, 2010
Dunfermline, Fife
Garage said it will be same engine code ;-( I was hoping for new version but according to him its won't be, although he wasn't referring to paperwork, sounded like he was guessing imo.

st3ph3n

Feb 18, 2013
North Lanarkshire
My car (12 plate 1.4TSi FR with DSG) is currently at the dealers. I purchased it with 6K on the clock, and it's currently got 10.1K on it now. In those 4 thousand miles I've used 4L of oil. Too much in my book!

SEAT themselves owned the car before I bought it, so I contacted them originally - more to sort of register the case with them. They told me to contact the dealer and book it in for the oil consumption test which I did. The dealer informed me of the costs should it pass, but I managed to convince (very easily) SEAT to cover the costs no matter what.

They've done the test and it's come back as a pass and they can't get authorisation to do the breather mod. I'm now waiting on the person at SEAT calling back to discuss with them.

If the breather mod is simple and cheap to do then what chances I can convince them of just authorising it to be done? Could save them doing an engine inside of warranty when it goes bang!

If anyone's had a similar fight would like to know how they got on.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My car (12 plate 1.4TSi FR with DSG) is currently at the dealers. I purchased it with 6K on the clock, and it's currently got 10.1K on it now. In those 4 thousand miles I've used 4L of oil. Too much in my book!

SEAT themselves owned the car before I bought it, so I contacted them originally - more to sort of register the case with them. They told me to contact the dealer and book it in for the oil consumption test which I did. The dealer informed me of the costs should it pass, but I managed to convince (very easily) SEAT to cover the costs no matter what.

They've done the test and it's come back as a pass and they can't get authorisation to do the breather mod. I'm now waiting on the person at SEAT calling back to discuss with them.

If the breather mod is simple and cheap to do then what chances I can convince them of just authorising it to be done? Could save them doing an engine inside of warranty when it goes bang!

If anyone's had a similar fight would like to know how they got on.

The official figures of 1ltr per 600 miles is a joke.

I would take the car to an MOT station and have an emissions test done.
If it fails - you have documentary evidence to force them to do something.

Can't find the thread at the mo but someone has just failed an MOT due to emissions caused by high oil use.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.