Another water in car thread - With Pic

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Good pics, im attempting mine today as fitting new crash sensor and door seals. Fingers crossed!

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure i've narrowed down the leak. I sealed the grommet and box under the scuttle panel but water is still getting in but at a slower rate. So i think i've fixed one leak.

If i pour water straight down the windscreen drain i can see water coming in through a seam in behind the steering wheel above the fuse box. If you open the drivers door and look at the wing you can see a cap, guessing thats its around 70 - 80mm in diameter. That cap pops off and looks into that windscreen drain. Im postive inside that drain is where my leak is. My plan tonight is to take off the front bumper so i can take off the divers wing to get access. Even at that im not sure how much access ill have to the inside of the drain as the hole in is probably not even big enough to fit your hand through.

Any have any thoughts on it before i take the next step and start pulling off the bumper and wing?

Thanks
Brian

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
When i removed my scuttle i cleaned and dried the area, such as all the seams in that area/ fuse box. I then painted everything in a thick layer of waxoyl, my thinking is that its like a bitumin paste that just weatherproofs everything. Although i never saw a leak in that area, i spend a day drying and doing door seals and spent a lot of money on new airbag crash sensor, so wanted to prevent any further leaks.

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
If the leak was anywhere else I would have it fixed by now...can't see any other option than removing bodywork...saw a few threads where people gave up trying to find the leak i'n the drivers footwells having sealed doors, grommet for bonnet release, box etc
Wonder was it leaking through a seam i'n the drain and didn't spot it...took about 20 min of water running and staring before we found it coming i'n...I'll update with more pics later...have the car 2 months and have the carpet out 2 months....would be great to get it sorted

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
DSCF4259.jpg

This is the view from the drivers door with the cover in the arch removed. In behind that hole is the drain from the windscreen. Need to remove the wing to get access...

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
3b46ff8d.jpg

441cd582.jpg

82a5dc75.jpg

Got the wing off without taking out the front bumper...think I can see a pinhole i'n the foam...early days must start pouring water i'n now

Brian

offitmassive

Hi all

i bought my first lcr in December and overall im happy out with the car...Only real issue is the damp carpets in the car...was hoping the carpets / sound deadening etc would be in seperate pieces but its all one big piece...so it took a bit of time to strip the car

9293da18.jpg

took the carpets out and put the seats back in so i could buy myself a bit of time to source the leak....have been reading through leaky door seal threads for a while now so was expecting this to be the problem...I taped kitchen roll all along the door sills and scattered pieces along the foot wells....
long story short i have traced the leak to the front right corner of the car...its dripping in by the accelerator pedal...if i pour water down the windscreen its drains out on the road....but it must still be leaking in through the bulkhead somewhere...

7e6706ad.jpg

ab7ce5ed.jpg

191bfba9.jpg

Latest one now showing the hose by the skuttle panel?

Any ideas?

at least it doesnt appear to be the doors...its a 2005 model...

Video gives the best idea of how bad it is but not sure if the link will work..

Thanks
Brian

if on the drivers side, check the bonnet cable grommet ;)

Muzza1742

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2011
Stoke
Yeah bonnet release cable and try the seal for the Electrics to the right hand side of the grommet. That cured mine anyway

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
Really starting to lose my patience now with the lcr. Sealed up the grommet and box under the scuttle panel about 2 weeks ago. That has stopped the massive puddles getting in to the car.
I was still gettting some water coming in a seam by the fuse box. Convinced it was the drain line above. Stripped the wing off poured water for about 30 min and nothing. Back to the scuttle panel with water and nothing. Cant seem to get it to leak anymore and i havent repaired anything in a while.

It isnt fixed though as i know its still getting in somewhere. Will need to remove the fuse panels and dash again to see if i can see where its coming in

Brian

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
Ok confident now the scuttle panel isn't leaking...went over everything with brushable seam sealer...doesn't look the best but should be leak tight...

My windscreen was leaking aswell...to a few minutes of watering but if you focus the water around the windscreen seal on the drivers side it starts to drip in eventually above the fuse box near the seam...remove the rubber seals either side of the window and resealed...windscreen was replaced in the past but the sealant job looks poor..hopefully I'm getting there now just praying for rain :)

Long story short...failed grommet (and potentially bad seal on box under scuttle panel) caused the major puddles...
Failed seals on windscreen also causing water intrusion...Both fails end up with water in drivers footwell

Brian

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
When you say water in footwell, do you mean visable puddles on top or flooding underneath. I had a dodgy door seal causing sound deadening to get soaked, on top of carpets bone dry. But where the arch meets the floor pan it was damp high up, iv therefore looked and prevenatively sealed the common places. I think it was only damp high up because the sound deadening was wicking the water up.

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
I have all carpets and sound deadening out....I placed kitchen roll all along the door sills to rule out seal issues with the doors..If I rest my head on the brake pedals and look up at the seam behind the fuse box I could see water getting in when I poured water down the windscreen seals....doors were open for all of this as u can imagine its hard enough to try and position yourself to spot the leak...

cleverspoon

Sep 17, 2011
Hmm hope i havent got another leak. I painted the scuttle joints with waxoyl. But iv got to get in to fuse box to fit cruise control so will seal it all then

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
It was a two man job to source the leaks on my lcr..still waiting for proper rain as its going on for so long now Im still not 100% it's fixed...one to look and one to spray the water in a different points on the car...

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Warning! Do not attempt the following with a Golf Mk4 or its Leon Mk1 sibling.

Here's a YouTube link for a 1972 TV ad for the Beetle that demonstrates old school VW Group build-quality. Note the use of the phrase, "In fact, the VW is so well put together, it's practically air-tight."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qB0lb401ZU

And here's a similarly-themed press ad:

dampness_ad.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2010
Leicester
Had wet footwells for the past few weeks drivers side, Sunil sealed the box and bonnet grommet for me today, just spent an out in there with a wet vac and got about 1.5 litres out, still going to do the door panels anyway! Fingers crossed.

The foam seal around the box looked pretty knackered

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise