Another water in car thread - With Pic

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
Hi all

i bought my first lcr in December and overall im happy out with the car...Only real issue is the damp carpets in the car...was hoping the carpets / sound deadening etc would be in seperate pieces but its all one big piece...so it took a bit of time to strip the car

9293da18.jpg

took the carpets out and put the seats back in so i could buy myself a bit of time to source the leak....have been reading through leaky door seal threads for a while now so was expecting this to be the problem...I taped kitchen roll all along the door sills and scattered pieces along the foot wells....
long story short i have traced the leak to the front right corner of the car...its dripping in by the accelerator pedal...if i pour water down the windscreen its drains out on the road....but it must still be leaking in through the bulkhead somewhere...

7e6706ad.jpg

ab7ce5ed.jpg

191bfba9.jpg

Latest one now showing the hose by the skuttle panel?

Any ideas?

at least it doesnt appear to be the doors...its a 2005 model...

Video gives the best idea of how bad it is but not sure if the link will work..

Thanks
Brian

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
There is a hole under the scuttle, you need to remove the wipers, been said in the past the body seal they did wasn't enough and water gets in.

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
Thanks...removing that panel was the next step...

Haven't seen any pics of behind that panel yet so not sure what I'll find....

I'll post up some pics when I get the panel out...

Muzza1742

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2011
Stoke
yeah i spent time re-doing all the door seals and it turn out my leak is in the same place as yours. i thinks its around my bonnet release catch so i've sealed that up now and im waiting for a nice big lot of rain to test it properly

Kiirst

I have just cleaned my scuttle panel, and there was an electrical connector under there that was disconnected, i have pushed the plug together but am not sure what it's for? Any ideas?

BEEFYGTI

Nov 20, 2004
Port talbot, south wales
my leak is in the same location, i can see that the bonnet release cable grommet is pereshed and so i think this is where the leak is coming from. i need help now to get my hands down there as the scuttle panel is in the way

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
Up in the scuttle panel there is a black plastic thing which cable go into I just siliconed the base of it and cleaned the drain and that while I was there Hope this helps

my leak is in the same location, i can see that the bonnet release cable grommet is pereshed and so i think this is where the leak is coming from. i need help now to get my hands down there as the scuttle panel is in the way

If you seal from the scuttle panel side then it would save you trying to replace the failed grommet?

Would this be easier or a false economy?

BEEFYGTI

Nov 20, 2004
Port talbot, south wales
Underneath the scuttle panel next to the grommet for the bonnet pull there is a large plastic panel that is sealed with foam, I noticed on mine that this lifts slightly, Im sure this is where the water is coming from? I have sealed it so fingers crossed
#

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
Is there any other seal i'n that area that could cause the water to pass into the cabin? If not then you must be pretty confident it's sorted...

I'm hoping mine is the same

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
Ok so took the wipers and scuttle panel out tonight...this is the view on the drivers side

d8aa4ebc.jpg

The electrical box has a seal around it but also has a raised lip so it's a but harder for water to leak i'n here..you can see the lip i'n the pic...10mm socket to get off the screws for the cover..

c9bbf88b.jpg

The grommet was badly worn...I suspect this is my problem too.....pasted on the silicone...it's an all weather type that you can apply even when it's not dry...

3fa79790.jpg

a4829753.jpg

01d4fb92.jpg

Squeezed another few rags of water out of the car...hopefully this will fix it...

Will update either way once I know more

Brian