SEAT IBIZA Mk 4 1.4 Stylance door problem

pwmcd

Re: Mk 4 Ibiza 1.4 Stylance - door problem!

Can anyone help with the following door problem please? The front passenger door of my wife's Ibiza will not open, the car has central locking, all other doors work OK and it sounds like the passenger door motor is "moving". The door won't open using the inside door catch either!

Have been told that you can't get door panels off to check inside for the cause of the problems unless the door is open, which it obviously isn't and can't be opened using the inside catch!!

1. Is there anyway, without causing damage to remove inner door panel and metal security panel with the door still closed?
2. If not anyone have any suggestions, polite ones please, :) how to access the door mechanism with the door closed?
3. Anyone have a solution or similar experience of this issue? - any help much appreciated as my local (non-SEAT) garage hasn't been able to sort this problem and they are a good firm who can usually fix anything! The car is 4 years old in March 2011 and out of warranty.

Many thanks.
Patrick

oneofthetwins

Born Slippy
Apr 16, 2009
Banknock
Right it happend to mine the door wouldnt unlock or open was basically locked shut. I put it into morrisons and they spent a whole day on repairing it think my door latch and motor was away ! cost about £350-£400 to fix it was a bit of a shock to the system hopefully thats isn't what wrong with yours

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Right it happend to mine the door wouldnt unlock or open was basically locked shut. I put it into morrisons and they spent a whole day on repairing it think my door latch and motor was away ! cost about £350-£400 to fix it was a bit of a shock to the system hopefully thats isn't what wrong with yours

Asda would have been cheaper... Havent you seen the advert? :p

pwmcd

Thanks for your reply. There are at least 7 posts with the same problem on the FAQ Mk 4 thread section including some fairly new vehicles. My wife's is just under 4 years old! Am waiting for the SEAT dealer who we bought the car from and who service it to contact me. The thread at page 9 makes interesting reading!

Given that there are so many posts, probably representing only a fraction of Ibiza Mk 4 owners, it makes me think this is possibly a manufacturing fault of which SEAT are already aware. A bit like the VAG/SEAT ignition coil problems when they extended the warranty to 5 years for faulty coils!

Thanks for your information it could be what you suggest.
BTW my Altea had a coil go on 23rd December 2010 so not a happy SEAT customer :-(

pwmcd

Note to admin - Thanks for moving this thread to the correct location much appreciated. Still getting used to posting in the right place ;-)

BTW this site has provided me with great info about my own ALTEA and its "issues" and some super fix tips (especially the cruise control-easy to fix when you know how!) so thanks to all concerned.
This post was for wife's IBIZA which has been trouble free in last 4 years until now!
Patrick

pwmcd

oneofthetwins -

Thanks for that. I love my ALTEA it really suits my needs and is great to drive (2.0Fsi Sport version) I just wish SEAT would get to grips with their reliability. They build some great cars let down by poor component suppliers and some dealers are not great!

Sadly no one has come up with a way to open the IBIZA passenger door without the SEAT dealer "fixing it" at c. £400.

The promised call from the SEAT service manager hasn't yet been fulfilled :-(
Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:

oneofthetwins

Born Slippy
Apr 16, 2009
Banknock
well when they done mine they had to take the passanger seat out and basically take the door to bits to get at it, go for a quote or something you never know i might of got ripped off but they are really expensive

pwmcd

Thanks for that information "oneofthetwins". The access problem is, I understand, due to the fact that the inner door metal panel overlaps the door pillar so as the door is closed it does need a lot of work to find access so I expect your costs were probably correct.

I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me as it has been suggested that maybe they may offer some "goodwill" to the cost (not holding my breath) as the car is only 9 months over warranty and was bought and serviced by the dealer. If not I will shop around for quotes but a good local non-SEAT garage didn't know how to get the door open without risking damage.

Many thanks for your help hope yours is now OK! :)
Patrick.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
you mentioned that you are waiting for a call from the dealer....they will never phone back, they usually never do. I would keep on top of them by phoning them reguarly to ask them yourself. I know its a pain, but its prob the only way you are likely to get any sort of goodwill.

pwmcd

you mentioned that you are waiting for a call from the dealer....they will never phone back, they usually never do. I would keep on top of them by phoning them reguarly to ask them yourself. I know its a pain, but its prob the only way you are likely to get any sort of goodwill.
Thanks rf860 - I know that promises are often just that. I was going to phone them again on Monday and it is in their interests "to be helpful" as we have 2 SEATS which we bought from them and which they service. Assuming they wish to keep our custom :)

Thanks for your advice.
Patrick

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
it is in their interests "to be helpful" as we have 2 SEATS which we bought from them and which they service. Assuming they wish to keep our custom :)

this is the kind of conversation you need to have with them, scare them into doing something!

pwmcd

this is the kind of conversation you need to have with them, scare them into doing something!
Passenger door now fixed by SEAT. The problem was caused by the Bowden cable becoming detached from the door latch assembly.

It appears that another vehicle's door had knocked against the side door at the back edge seam of the IBIZA door and though no paint was damaged there was a vertical but barely noticeable dent on the passenger door which is not worth fixing. This impact dislodged the Bowden cable from the handle mechanism!

SEAT managed to access the closed door, internally with out causing any damage, (except a small scratch on the dashboard which is out of sight normally) and fixed the problem in two hours. As a goodwill gesture they only charged labour at 5/8th's of normal price total cost was £120 inc. VAT.

A really bizarre event but credit to L C Charles at Crewe for finding the unusual cause and repairing the car without charging full price :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members