PhilW's Mk3 Ibiza Project Thread - 3071 - Now Breaking!

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Do you need the feed to go to the front or back of the turbo? I cant remember how yours has been done.

Mine currently goes from the front of the turbo down through the manifold to the block.

I want to run it like the BDM kits, out the back and down to keep it away from the manifold.

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Mine currently goes from the front of the turbo down through the manifold to the block.

I want to run it like the BDM kits, out the back and down to keep it away from the manifold.

I will check the prices of the hoses on monday for you. I didnt get a chance on Friday. Do you also need the water return pipe?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Small update, had the car checked out at Euro Performance, had a sniff test on the coolant, compression test and leakdown test to try and figure out whats going on with the coolant issue.

Compression test: 13.5bar to 14bar across all four.

Sniff test: No issues with exhaust gas in the coolant. Happy with that.

Drop down leakage test: 15% on cylinders 1, 3 & 4 and nearly 30% on cylinder 2.

No idea whats going on with cylinder 2, valve not seated, worn etc... but i dont think thats anything to do with my coolant pressurising.

Anyway, Im going to:

Re-do the coolant feed/return

Raise the back of the bonnet

More heatproofing on the heater pipes to the cabin

And possibly fit a lower temp thermostat and fan switch.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

GotBoost

REVO Dealer
Aug 19, 2009
Llandow, S Wales
Generally like to see leadown test results under 10-15% and pretty even across the board, looks like there may be an issue on cylinder 2 mate, were they able to notice where the leak was indicating the problem area was? Possibly bubbling coolant tank ie headgasket break cylinder - water jacket ( even though the sniff says no )?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Dont think gareth could tell where it was coming from tho, didnt say any issue with the coolant bubbling. Said the car was an animal tho and coming from him whos got a RS4 thats not bad. lol.

Im going there after work so i'll get the exact figures on things but he does also think that secondary water pump might be causing an issue.

I'll email you later Craig.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
MAP sensor changed andidle is pretty rough, think i need to do a TB reset to get the adaptions back to 0.

Car is still smoking on start up pretty bad, gonna try a different/smaller restrictor i think and i still need to re-do the return which i think is the problem but i have no idea where to start as i havent got a clue what fittings have been used.

Im slowly gettin less and less time to work on the car and its spending more and more time sat on the street doing nothing especially with a house i need to finish.

I also need new brake discs on the front as i found a massive crack in one.

And i still need to get a length of hose for the coolant to Alex @ Backdraft to sort that out asap.

At least the alternator is fixed.

Last edited:

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
i know exactly how you feel m8 its hard work keeping a car on the road let alone tuning it and sorting other bits out on it thats why mines in a lock up so i cant see it and it cant piss me off then haha good luck phil on getting the car sorted shall see you at got boost on sunday

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I know. I feel like such an idiot.

Drove it to work this morning, 1hr/30miles. Didnt put a foot wrong, drives nicely and pulls all over the road.

The raised bonnet at the back, although doesnt look great i dont think, has certainly helped air airflow though engine.

Will check my fuel trims tonight when i get in to see how theyre looking with the 3bar MAP sensor on.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Fuel Trims:

0.9% and 18.8%.

No idea why this is happening. Think i might change the MAF now as mine is about 3 years old at least.

Also difficult to get any sort of decent figures logging as its wet outside, so with hardly any engine load the fuelling might not be right, and im only running about 22psi where i want to be running about 26-28.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I was of the understanding that the long term/multiplicative fuel trim (18.8%) was a result of under load/boost?

As if its seeing less airflow than whats required vs a spec boost so adds fuel to compensate for lower airflow?

For example:

at 6000 rpm i get 22psi and 220g/s

But what the ecu thinks it should see is 18% more airflow for this boost and rpm, so it wanting to see ~260g/s . Hence the adjustment.

Or am i not understanding the fuel trim?

Last edited:

GotBoost

REVO Dealer
Aug 19, 2009
Llandow, S Wales
STFT / LTFT are normally a direct result of lambda feedback, in your case ( narrowband ) at idle and part throttle. I dont know if what you suspect will have any effect on fuel trims, i doubt it, but im sure Bill will confirm/deny.

Try a smaller MAF housing, increasing measured airflow by 10-15% and report back your ST/LTFT values.

If your running too rich at WOT, decrease 'Primary Fuel Tweak' value in lemmiwinks ( channel 10 )

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
STFT / LTFT are normally a direct result of lambda feedback, in your case ( narrowband ) at idle and part throttle. I dont know if what you suspect will have any effect on fuel trims, i doubt it, but im sure Bill will confirm/deny.

Try a smaller MAF housing, increasing measured airflow by 10-15% and report back your ST/LTFT values.

If your running too rich at WOT, decrease 'Primary Fuel Tweak' value in lemmiwinks ( channel 10 )

By running a smaller MAF my AFR would be the same tho when it adapts? But my trims would be closer to 0 as the flow would be higher?

Yeah i tried that Craig, AFR wise it works but eventually throws a lean code as the adpation drops by what you adjust it by on channel 10.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I dont see how it will adjust back out with unisettings, so underload its ok and idle/cruise is ok also, when they are at opposite extremes..
what size maf sensor are you running again Phil?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.