PhilW's Mk3 Ibiza Project Thread - 3071 - Now Breaking!

Jan 13, 2010
UK
what she put out phil?

hope all is good.

my turbo - manifold gasket has gone, due to bolts keep coming un done!

so going to try some lord nock ones that bill suggested, what you got ?? nuts and bolts or allen key style ones?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Not a great day to be honest, and didnt do Craigs setup proud at all for a few reasons.

Ill get the figure out first, it made 340bhp/300lbs/ft at 21psi. Not too bad to be honest as the fuelling still isnt 100%, something which the map sensor i have to go on will sort out once Forge send me the insert. Just dips into the 10's towards redline and low 11's on boost. Revo timing settings were down to 1 as i wanted them low so i could work up.

Full boost at 4700 which is much better but has also made me reaslise the Greddy controller runs lower boost than it reads.

Ive got a massive coolant problem, the coolant system seems to be pressurising which lead to the car dumping a load of coolant all over Craigs brand new setup, embarassed is an understatement.

Leak down test and a sniff test now to eliminate headgasket problems then start on other things.

Ive also decided the oil return is appalling, almost goes back upwards and runs horizontal for a bit then down to the pan.

My alternator is also dieing, 12.5v's is being measured and it keeps killing the charge in battery as by the time the current reaches the battery its quite low. Need to get my spare one fixed.

On a plus side Craigs setup @ GotBoost is amazing, looks incredible, the sofware and capabilities are superb and the figures seem to be pretty accurate as well judging by what hes said and what i saw today. VERY impressed.

Massive thanks to Craig for not shouting me and being as professional as ever today and i cant wait to do some rolling road days and go back down soon when i sort my issues out.

Last edited:

cuprawill

Turbo lag is foreplay
Nov 20, 2009
glad things are starting to look up, are you going to the badger 5 rr day as i would love to see this in person a lot of work has gone into to this fair play and keep it up, it will get there in the end good luck

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Well good news on the figures Phil.... very good to start working from! Did you change the water pump when you did all the work? Because I was having the same problems with the Passat as you know and it turned out to be the water pump :doh:

Sounds like you have taken some steps in the right direction from when you first started this work, coming along nicely and tbh I'm actually sh!tting myself for when we do the next trackday becasue I know I won't be keeping you in my rear veiw mirror for long anymore :blink:

If you going up to Bill's let me know, I will probably come up in the Ibiza then (if I don't break it this weekend at whatever track I do).

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Didnt do the waterpump when i done the work but that was done about 15k ago to a metal one and i check that about 1k ago when i done the thermostat.

Gettin there i think unless the HG is dead.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Guess it would be a reason to fit the bigger port head then! My water pump turned out to be slipping on the shaft..... okay under normal load/driving.... give it **** and it would slip.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Does anyone know if the coolant feed/return can be swapped around?

The one facing the front which drops down is very close to the manifold and would be better suited on the back port. Is that ok to do?

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Hang in there Phil, some good progress over the past couple of weeks so don't let the niggles drag you down. Not a bad base figure to work from, she must fly. Sounds like Craig has got a very nice setup now, will have to check it out at some point.

Would be good to see this at Bill's if you plan on coming down.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Graph as promised. All figures are @ the wheels.

WG boost then every day boost. Nice control indeed i think.

PHILIBIZA.jpg

Fuelling is with about 15% trim so should be a lot better, looks like its lean in low rpm comapred to my wideband as i have an exhaust leak on the vband on the mid section so by the time the exhaust gasses speed up you get more accurate AFR, but still slightly leaner, but not by much than what i see on the wideband (which is 4 inches from the turbo.)

I wanted to run to about 7500 but we had to cut short i think because of my coolant issue.

Finally some bonnet lifters turned up, no more holding the bonnet up with a stick!

MAP sensor adaptor turned from Forge as well.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Couple of updates.

After 12+ months i finally have some bonnet lifters! No more stick usage for me or holding it up with my head!

3bar MAP sensor fitted nicely. :)

Bonnet has been raised at the back ~ 25mm to aid air flow and i'll be looking at swapping round the coolant feed/return for the turbo along with the oil drain.

Oh yeah, ive bought a large port head as well. :)

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Couple of updates.

After 12+ months i finally have some bonnet lifters! No more stick usage for me or holding it up with my head!

3bar MAP sensor fitted nicely. :)

Bonnet has been raised at the back ~ 25mm to aid air flow and i'll be looking at swapping round the coolant feed/return for the turbo along with the oil drain.

Oh yeah, ive bought a large port head as well. :)

You going to get the head ported? You know you want to ;)

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I think it'll be rude not to. :)

Valves springs etc... to go in as well, then later down the line inlet and throttle body.

Was gonna PM about the price of the coolant feed, the one with the two banjo fittings down to the block, and wondered what the length of it was as well.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.