• Guest would you be interested in CUPRA or SEAT valve caps? let us know in the poll

• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Do these Denso Iridium IK22 plugs look OK?

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
Not really sure how to access a spark plug so how does this IK22 look?

IK22.JPG

I bought a set of Denso Iridium IK22 plugs around 18months back and ran them in my car for around 2-3 months. Read up a little then decided to go back to stock plugs.

Anyway, after a little more reading it seems that one grade colder is recommended for a remapped 1.8T and IK22's seem to fit the bill.
When I fitted them I didnt regap at all, just left them how they were, again not sure if I did the right thing or not.
Sparkplugs.co.uk state that IK22's come with a 0.8mm gap, seems that it should really be closer to 0.028" (0.711mm) ideally.

Does the plug look OK and as expected for 2-3 months of usage?
OK to regap to 0.028" and refit them?

Last edited:

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
Cheers m0rk, its almost a mixture of the top two - tan colour to suggest everything is running OK but shares some of the characterisics of overfueling ie fluffly but not black.
I'd guess it would be OK to check the gap and refit them.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
yup - give em a clean up as well so you're starting again rather than looking at 'old' dirt next time you take em out.

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
m0rk said:
yup - give em a clean up as well so you're starting again rather than looking at 'old' dirt next time you take em out.

Complete newbie with sparkplugs here so I'll ask the obvious (to most I guess), what would I use to clean them? :redface:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
**** Don't use a wire brush - you can damage the plug**********

You can leave marks that cause tracking.

The exception, I would say is one of those soft brass-wired brushes that can be used to clean suede shoes.

I've used brake cleaner and a cloth and taken a little time - sometimes used a plastic scraper.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
well I thought common sense would stop him from using the big ones..... ickle ones that are meant to do small stuff would be brass?

ibizaluke

the kid i bought my car off recommended these plugs, wheres the best place to buy them from, somewhere like europart or carspares???

westallc

Jan 25, 2009
i put these in my octy vrs stage 2 and one failed after 100miles and when i spoke to opie oils who i brought them from they said there the wrong ones for the 1.8t wtf im confused lol

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
avoid densos like the plague
their ceramics fail and damage your engine
IK22 is an appropriate heat range according to their listing BUT they are not reliable when push comes to shove

AVOID

NGK's - simples