Tramlining..

Anth

Hi

I seem to have a nasty problem with "tramlining" at the minute.

Just got the car on friday (Ibiza FR) the front alloys are wrapped in pirelli pzero nero's.

Have driven with lots of 17" alloys in my past but these seem to be taking the pish!

0 - 20mph is fine
20 - 50mph is dangerous and have to stop the damn thing from going on a wander!
50 - 70mph is fine.

Am used to brands such as Kumho, Falken, Uniroyal and Toyo. Never had a problem with "tramlining"

Read in several forums that these tyres have a tendancy of "tramlining", has anyone else experienced this?

Anth

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Have the alignment checked - if the tracking is out it can exadurate tramlining.

Also - is the car standard or lowered ? - a lowered car will have more camber - another contributor to tramlining.

Anth

Its completely standard!

I think what il do is swap the front alloys with the rear ones, I noticed I got some new Toyo's on the back so see how that goes.. Hopefully it will lessen the chance of making the FR into a hedge seeking missile! My last car was a Corsa, put 17"s on that and never had this problem, Pirelli's FTL :(

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
What is tramlining?
Is that where the car follows the lines in the road and camber?
If so I've had three Ibiza's they've all done this, I thought it was normal. Its not a problem you just dont take your hands off the wheel on non flat roads!

Or at all!

Anth

Had a look about on tyrereviews.co.uk .. and seems its not me who seems to be suffering with this wonderfully overrated tyre. I think il be going back to Uniroyal Rainsport2's or Kumho Ecsta KU31's!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Tramlining as I understand it is where the car tries to follow the contours of the road without your input as if is is on tracks, larger wheels and low profile/wider tyres can make the car tramline or wander more, and as Deano said tracking and camber affect this too. Castor can also contribute but I`ve never heard of an issue with this in the VAG family (unless it`s had a shunt).

I would suggest in addition to having the alignment checked, you check the lower arm bushes, as I noticed mine was doing this more and more as my TCA bushes needed replacing - possibly due to the increased camber and inaccurate tracking this induced.