40K Service- Not impressed!

turbopete

Over the Christmas period my Leon had it's annual service and MOT with an oxfordshire based Seat Dealer.

Deciding to treat the car to the full works service I was given the usual dealer jargon regarding how much work this is. Being fully aware of how much of the work was visual checks- I smiled and left them to it.
Upon picking the car up (a less than impressive 6 hrs later) I was looking through the service book and realised they had not replaced the air filter. After bringing this up, the assistant said it was not required at this distance and so was not done- despite me specifying the full works service (which included the air filter).

At this point he then 'realised' the air filter had been included on the invoice :wtf: and removed it... It was an impressive £40 reduction!!

To cap it all, the next day I saw that it has been scratched over the rear wheel arch...

Has anyone else paid a fair amount of cash for the dealer stamp only to feel that the dealers are out to con them?
It could have been a genuine mistake- but if I had not brought it up then I would have been (even) worse off!

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
This is why I do my own servicing and also why when I was in a local dealer (Arnold Clark) I leaned over the desk when no one was looking and stole "the stamp".

Now I buy the parts from the dealer (to get a reciept), do the service myself, fill in the book, scribble a sort of signature on the page and stamp it.

In my opinion a dealer service and stamp is only worth a bit of extra cash when you go the sell the car, personally I don't trust anyone from with my car.
It "had" to go in for some warranty work a while back and I got it back with oil splashed up the side of it, the steering so far out of alignment it was un-driveable.
When I went staight back in to complain I spoke the the manager and he pretty much shrugged his shoulders. :shrug: :shrug: I'm not quite sure I stayed calm and didn't lash out, but I do remember laughing at the "Manager", telling him he was pathetic and walking out the door giving him the middle finger and blowing a raspberry...

So from here on I was very reluctant handing my car and keys over to anyone, now I'm sure there are plenty of dealers and people that are very trust worthy, but in the meantime I'll keep doing it myself - and I save myself money...

I'm now going to get a lecture from a whole bunch of other people on here telling me I am cheating... ?? :ban: ??

.G.

Completely agree with that, especially given some of the most reputable dealers in NI have been prosecuted for not even looking at vehicles when they have been in for a "service"..

J0N

Defected!
This is why I do my own servicing and also why when I was in a local dealer (Arnold Clark) I leaned over the desk when no one was looking and stole "the stamp".

Now I buy the parts from the dealer (to get a reciept), do the service myself, fill in the book, scribble a sort of signature on the page and stamp it.

In my opinion a dealer service and stamp is only worth a bit of extra cash when you go the sell the car, personally I don't trust anyone from with my car.
It "had" to go in for some warranty work a while back and I got it back with oil splashed up the side of it, the steering so far out of alignment it was un-driveable.
When I went staight back in to complain I spoke the the manager and he pretty much shrugged his shoulders. :shrug: :shrug: I'm not quite sure I stayed calm and didn't lash out, but I do remember laughing at the "Manager", telling him he was pathetic and walking out the door giving him the middle finger and blowing a raspberry...

So from here on I was very reluctant handing my car and keys over to anyone, now I'm sure there are plenty of dealers and people that are very trust worthy, but in the meantime I'll keep doing it myself - and I save myself money...

I'm now going to get a lecture from a whole bunch of other people on here telling me I am cheating... ?? :ban: ??

.G.

Could you post up your reg number so no one on here ever buys your car with its fake/illegal service history?

Doing your own servicing is one thing and there's nothing wrong with that, fraud is quite another!

turbopete

Completely agree with that, especially given some of the most reputable dealers in NI have been prosecuted for not even looking at vehicles when they have been in for a "service"..

Hmmm- that's not the most reassuring!! Last year I was sure the dealer had done something as the air filter intake screws were torn through their clips on the duct... maybe why they didn't want to touch it this year??

Does a full dealer service history command that much extra on the resale? I was trained to work on vehicles to a much higher standard- and if it's not really worth a great deal then I could do the work cheaper and MUCH better!!

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Hmmm- that's not the most reassuring!! Last year I was sure the dealer had done something as the air filter intake screws were torn through their clips on the duct... maybe why they didn't want to touch it this year??

Does a full dealer service history command that much extra on the resale? I was trained to work on vehicles to a much higher standard- and if it's not really worth a great deal then I could do the work cheaper and MUCH better!!

Funny you should mention that, same thing was brought up on another forum I use quite often only the other day http://jon44w.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=276065&page=1

FSH does off a little reassurance that the owner at least half cared about the car, but I'd sooner buy one that was self serviced by someone able who kept all the receipts etc.

J0N

Defected!
I all depends what you're buying. When I bought my car it was just over 2 years old with low mileage and it cost me a lot of money. Full dealer service history was something that I fully expected and I would not have entertained a car without it. When we sorted out an Arosa for my Mum just before Christmas it was less important because the car was much older and far cheaper.

turbopete

Whenever I have been in the market for fairly new cars, I would only consider those will full service history. I was always under the impression that a lack of servicing indicates that the owner thinks oil changes are pointless...

When spending a good wedge on a car, you want some assurance that it's not been neglected- and when spending a fair bit on servicing, I also want some assurance that the work is carried out in full to a good standard.

From looking at the other thread, there does seem to be a divide in opinions about fsh though. Is the peace of mind worth the extra cash...?!

J0N

Defected!
Is the peace of mind worth the extra cash...?!

With newer cars I believe it is. My car still had some SEAT warranty left which would have been void without FSH. On older cars perhaps it's not as important as some other aspects and I have to admit that this is only the second car I have bought where I have even looked for the service history but now, for me it's essential.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.