Which SEAT TDI can get the furthest on one tank of derv?

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
I recently did Blackpool to Rotterdam, @550 miles according to satnav, on 3/4 tank, obviously it wasnt using any on the ferry, Dover/Dunkirk :D

dribbler

Aug 12, 2007
Hi, Most weeks I get 600+ to a 55ltr tank.Best I've had is 640 miles with about 4ltr's left in the tank.

2003 Tolly Tdi 110 105k on the clock.

Regrds

Dribbler

sssstew

Editing your spelling
agreed with muddy here, the ecomotives will do the best but few people who have them post on here, as SCN is a little more performance orientated.

Alas the mk4 ibiza with the PD130 engine and 6 speed box is my bet for the best mpg. Lighter than the leon hence the better economy. In the past with venting and a awesome long run i reckon i could have hit 700 in my mk3 Ibiza 110 TDI, but had to fill up for a different journey.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
im currently on course for a 640-660 mile trip in my MK4 FR TDi and i have something of a lead foot. I'm 1 notch above half empty and have cover 337 miles to date. I fully vented the tank, and i mean FULLY

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
im on full tank on miles til empty (not that its accurate ) reckons im on coarse for 351miles is this becuse its used to shorter journeys and a lead footing

i tried the venting thing the other day filled it full then pressed that little button thingy and a little bit of air escaped , is that it i never then tried puting more in tho

sssstew

Editing your spelling
im on full tank on miles til empty (not that its accurate ) reckons im on coarse for 351miles is this becuse its used to shorter journeys and a lead footing

i tried the venting thing the other day filled it full then pressed that little button thingy and a little bit of air escaped , is that it i never then tried puting more in tho

Andrew - yes that is it, i tended to hold the the end of the fuel nozzle on the little button and slowly fill up until it brimmed.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
this venting lark took me a while to work out, and you do get an odd look at the pumps as you have the glove on the hand not holding the pump then you wedge the finger down to hold the button as you fill up. Then its gamble time to how much extra you can get in. Good idea though as i hate having to fill up.

Also 5p off vouchers are great, i keep getting them from the guys at work who live in london and don;t drive, Every little helps

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
ye i filled to the brim was starting to pour out , wated till it settled then pushed that buton , tsshhhh
didnt want to try any more in it ,

spose if/when im gona do along journey i will def do it and take note of my milage,
this short drive stuff dont help the mpg (plus me heavy foor:) )

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
you do get an odd look at the pumps as you have the glove on the hand not holding the pump then you wedge the finger down to hold the button as you fill up.
I just fill up normally until the pump clicks off, then use the tip of the nozzle to hold the button down while continuing to fill (slowly!), I watch down the filler neck until I see the fuel rising up. A couple more presses/releases of the button usually see the fuel drop back down again.

No gloves or inserting of fingers !!

Davidsr

PD 172
Mar 13, 2009
Blackpool
I tend to get about 400-420 out of a tank, that's usually putting about £40 in but since it's gone up I've been putting about 40 litres in so it's been working out at about £43 a tank.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Well, there's no way i'm gonna get near the top, i think i'm averaging about 320 out of a tank full (unvented) at the minute driving 90% round town/to work which includes a mile of uphill back road revving it in 2nd because thirds just slightly too high geared to keep the necessary throttle response =o\

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Suppose I'm cheating a bit with a 70L tank, but I managed 615miles the other week out of the Exeo :thumbup: Average of 49.1mpg.

Most of that was motorway miles down to Devon and back, sat at 75-80 most of the way.

I suppose if I drove like a pansy then I could probably get 700+ without too much trouble :D

Last edited:

Wai8

I've only had my MK2 Leon FR for three wks but I've only managed 450 miles! My lead foot must be a lot more heavier then most people!!! :D

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Suppose I'm cheating a bit with a 70L tank, but I managed 615miles the other week out of the Exeo :thumbup: Average of 49.1mpg.

Most of that was motorway miles down to Devon and back, sat at 75-80 most of the way.

I suppose if I drove like a pansy then I could probably get 700+ without too much trouble :D
It should improve as the engine gets more miles on it.
My Ibiza (the only car I've owned from zero/low mileage!) kept on improving for a long time, think it was gone 20k before it reached it peak.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members