• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Abs bleeding procedure

SEATCOOBER

LOVE MY IBEEZA!!!
Mar 11, 2007
LINCOLN/NORWICH
ive heard you have to have all four off the ground, but does the ibiza have abs on rear, when you do the proceedure does it pump all the air down the lines so you have to bleed them again, as my resevoir went dry when i refirbed the rear calipers and the pedal is spongey only when driving think it has air in system some where !!!

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
If the fluid dropped all the way then there is air in the master cylinder. I cant remember if there is a bleed nipple on the cupra master or not.

Feb 25, 2007
cheshire
ive doin this on VAS 5052B but not on vag com, it purges your abs control unit so it gets the air out of the system but when using the VAS 5052B its simple like said above just follow the instructions its a step by step guide

SEATCOOBER

LOVE MY IBEEZA!!!
Mar 11, 2007
LINCOLN/NORWICH
well i been out and the problem is when i first push the brakes they are spongey then i press it a second and third time quickly after thr first and it brakes as normal and brakes really well, so whats my fault?

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
If you pump the pedal until its solid then keep your foot pushed hard on the pedal, does it sink to the floor? If so then their is air in the system. Get it pressure bled then see what its like.

SEATCOOBER

LOVE MY IBEEZA!!!
Mar 11, 2007
LINCOLN/NORWICH
yes with ignition off the brake servo acts as normal pump the brakes it goes hard then does not sink until you switch on ignition that works fine it just seems to be when im moving i get spongey brakes on the first application, ive bled the brakes three times now but the system did go dry, i hate taking my car to the garage because people dont look after it like i do, can i getthe air out of my master cylinder myself if this is the problem???how much for a pressure bleed???

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
ok, only thing I don't understand is if you open the bleed nipples on the callipers and have to press the brake won't fluid go all over the place? Or you collect it and keep the reservoir topped up?

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
ok, only thing I don't understand is if you open the bleed nipples on the callipers and have to press the brake won't fluid go all over the place? Or you collect it and keep the reservoir topped up?

Pop clear tubes over the nipples & collect in a jar or somthing.
Id top up the reservoir topped up with fresh stuff.

Will these cars use DOT 5.1 happily? I used it in my zetec s and it played havoc with the servo.

SEATCOOBER

LOVE MY IBEEZA!!!
Mar 11, 2007
LINCOLN/NORWICH
vag com bleeds the abs system which needs to be done if the system goes dry, do you just use clear pipes from the bleed nipples to the bottles or do they have to have non return valves on them to stop air getting back in the system?

Prebs

Dec 28, 2004
Norway, Bergen
vag com bleeds the abs system which needs to be done if the system goes dry, do you just use clear pipes from the bleed nipples to the bottles or do they have to have non return valves on them to stop air getting back in the system?

I use a spesial made hose with a cap that goes on to the brakefluid reservoar. I then connect the hose to my spare tyre to get pressure and then I start to open up on the calipers to drain, I first start with the rear calipers and then move forwards. When system is completely dry I fill up with new brakefluid again, attach the hose to get pressure and start to open up again until i have new fluid pouring out. I use clear pipes to a bottle thats half full with old fluid. Done this a couple of times on trackdays as I always get stopped before entring the track cos there´s to much water in the fluid and they wont allow me out on track before it´s changed.

Prebs

May 16, 2008
southampton
i just read this thread and i still have same problem as you seatcoober i have changed these items now slide pins, front hoses, pads and disc front and rear, bleed the system loads of times, and also fitted a master cylinder, and a abs pump, only thing i havent done is bleed the abs pump or presure bleed it since fitting the pump and master cylinder..

also i seen a presure bleeder for about 40 quid from a motor factors..

Lecatona HPFP (High-pressure Fuel Pump Upgrades)