fitted new engine now thats decided 2 die! now with pics of damage you got to see

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
righto as in my old thread i said 'i think ive blown the turbo' but infact it was the engine the valve had dropped from the head and made an inch hole in the piston ruining the head and bending the valves will get some pics up later as its in hell of a state lol.

so now i fitted another engine which i had spare from my old car in2 the car and fitted my uprated turbo injectors etc that was all on the old engine when it blew up, so now my problem is it starts and runs ticks over (a bit lumpy) but does not rev and by lookin at my wideband gauge its reading about 10.1-10.6 so its overfueling, i have new plugs to go in as the engine was in my shed and has been sittin there for about 6 months and ive changed the oil and topped up all the fluids back up,

so do i need 2 re-set the ecu on vag com as when the old motor blew it must of obviously set a few fault codes off? i also have the throttle body off the old motor so does this need 2 be calibrated in2 the car?

can any1 shed any light on this please cheers gaz

Last edited:

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Clear all codes, then do a TBA. TB not being aligned sounds like what it could be.

Revs flicking up and down on idle?

gazcuprablk

Mar 31, 2006
south wales
phil i know i even surprised myself im never ever fittin that manifold ever again caused me so much headache cheap **** thing but its on now and im goin to get a decent one when the build comes along on the other motor so i am never removing or fittin it ever again lol. jonsy sorted the reving last time for me there was a wire that went arround the big circle connector rather than through it for some reason but i tried connectin it and its not workin this time so ill see what happens later.

ive used all the old sensors that were on the car maf, coilpacks, bought new spark plugs, and even the old inlet manifold off the old motor is on there as with the same throttle body that was on there 2,

i will be gettin all the codes erased later and then will go from there and will check for any plugs i may of missed out.

also been offered a re-built engine with bam pistons, scat rods, agu large port head, new oil pump, new shells, new gaskets etc and never been run in for 1200 quid so im tempted to get this as a base and then get new manifold maybe badger 5's equal length one and get new supertech valves fitted in there 2. does this sound good?

Last edited:

gazcuprablk

Mar 31, 2006
south wales
right i got some 1 2 come to my house with vag com last night to erase the fault codes for me so i could get on with the car, i had the car runnin on monday just on idle all was fine tapped when i first started it up but i thought that was due to the oil needing to get up2 the top and the noize went away after a few seconds,

so yesterday i fitted new plugs in before we cranked it over (they were exactly the same size etc as the old ones i took out) then erased the codes from when it blew and went to start it when it made a horrible metal sound so i quickly turned it off i then pulled the plugs out and 2 of them looked look theyve been hit with debris so it looks like ive killed the engine somehow!!!!!!!

this engine was already in my car when i bought it and took it out when i fitted the turbo kit as it was easier and my engine had all new clutch, timing belt and other bits and was also lower mileage. and the old engine i took out was runnin well when i took it out

so im not very happy at all ive managed to kill 2 20vt engine in 2 weeks and am after some info what to do next i want to buy the motor i described above but dont want to be paying over the odds for it does it sound like a good price?

please help i dont want to set it on fire i want it back chassing m3's!!!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
your cam belt gone or something?
has this engine ever been apart? anything fallen inside which now has kicked about inside?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Gutted for you gary, jonzy phone med last night to tell me what happened, really sorry to hear that.

He said that the 1st engine was in a proper mess as well, hole in the piston and a mess in all the cylinders, you gotta get some pics up of the carnage.

Stinkpot hill for an engine? Let me know if go as im after one as well or just a head.

May 2, 2006
gutted for you, but like phil said get some piccies up of the mess.
hopefully you will be able to sort another engine and get back on the loud pedal....

worst case sinario.... i have a engine with 60k on the clock, new cambelt/waterpump etc etc etc if you fancy collecting from north wales. pm me iof your interested.
(this isnt a plug by the way, just trying to help him out)

hopefully you can sort an engine more locally and get yourself back on the road.... shame really, i like your motor :)

regardless of what you do.... THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS :whistle:

creedy

did you clean out the old inlet mani because bits of the old valves and piston might of got into it then your new engine will of sucked it all in

gazcuprablk

Mar 31, 2006
south wales
no nothin snapped the belt looked good when i looked i think it was because it was standing for a while mainly through winter on my shed floor

i had a fault code come up before i turned it over from when it went same as your sig phil ha

yes i cleaned the inlet out first and checked it out was all ok, havin a bad week this week damb cars but ive bought a motor which has already been re-built with scat rods, brand new bam pistons, large port head, new oil pump/gear/chain, new gaskets etc and most of all has never been run in, so ill be runnin it in and then will get the valves when i get some extra cash as im nearly spent out but want to get a new manifold before i fit it into the car and possibly a new dp.

will defo get some pics up asap as its very dead lol apart from the rocker cover id say its all scrap

Last edited:

Backdraft

I have a rebuild and skimmed large and small port head sat on the shelf :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members