Bendy Rod Territory

jamiebennett81

still getting to grips with logging and spotting the danger zones when doing so....

obviously anything on mine past 1.4bar is danger territory and bendy rods time

I thought this was just down to how much boost you are running, but its not as I understand it and its also down to a combination of ignition timing as well

is block 002 ignition timing?

if so, when measuring it tomorrow night, what data should I be looking for that is good and what should I be looking for that points me towards pushing the internals too hard

I suspect so long as it stays within 1.4 bar, then all should be ok with igt timing?

experts please? - Dave?:)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
timing + boost is where you will get issues..
more damage from timing causing high cylinder pressures which is where things will break/bend

Order of magnitude for you. cylinder pressure on mine was probably in excess of 3000psi.. boosts contribution of 35psi in my instance relative to the 3000psi figure puts it into perspective.. for 4 degrees less timing, there was 300psi cylinder pressure drop.. (test data from a test engine I know of)

CF is still a 'guide' but this is only the guide on det, and as I have found out myself to my cost lately, the Det is not the thing to hang your hat on as the measurement. mine had no det, ran huge ign advance, big boost,, and ran excessive cylinder pressures.. Cylinder pressures you cannot measure however.

ign advance under boost is where you should keep an eye on.... but given what you are able to look at is vag-com, you should keep CF's to no more than 6, and boost around that 1.4 level

fit some rods, and you need not worry so much.

Last edited:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Being experienced in this field Bill, What would you charge as a drive in drive out cost for uprating the rods in a 1.8T LCR. (Parts & Labour)

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Order of magnitude for you. cylinder pressure on mine was probably in excess of 3000psi.. boosts contribution of 35psi in my instance relative to the 3000psi figure puts it into perspective.. for 4 degrees less timing, there was 300psi cylinder pressure drop.. (test data from a test engine I know of)

That's interesting...

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
That's interesting...

26 degrees of advance.. 2700psi, 30 degrees of advance >3000psi and the sensor broke. only 10bhp different... 10bhp in 780bhp, and this was on C16 race fuel

My motor was running 33 degrees of advance on VPower up to 7000rpm, then 28degrees till 9000rpm.. no pinking. serious pressures tho.

so when you hear some folk say we ran so much boost it lifted the head off... etc etc, you will realise, the boost pressure vs the cylinder pressures is neglible.. and that they dont really know what they're talkign about.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.