KW Variant 1 coil-overs - Cupra 1P fitted by Awesome GTI

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
As a birthday treat to myself, I've been to Awesome GTI today to have the KW Variant 1 coil-over kit fitted.

Must say a huge thank you to Andy, Al, and especially John for all his hard work on my car. Not forgetting all the team at Awesome GTI always a pleasure to do business with you and the work as usual was conducted with the up most professionalism. Very pleased with the KW kit and the result. :D

I have opted for the Variant 1's as I only really wanted to adjust the drop to suit my BBS 19's. After some consideration I didn't bother looking at the V2 or V3, though undoubtedly fantastic kits. I simply don't have the know how or compulsion to be fiddling with them and don't do enough track days to warrant the extra premium for those kits.

However don't dismiss the V1's the quality of the V1 kit is just as superb as you would expect from the KW Inoxx stainless struts, highlighted by the bright yellow springs and anodised purple adjustment parts.

John had fitted the KW kit in a couple of hours. I had a few extra things done today also such as having an up-rated dog-bone mount fitted I sourced a while ago from Issam at INA.

Though I expected it might not be a simple job to fit the mount, I was able to give John some good pointers from a visual guide posted on Vortex and he sorted that out too.

The sub-frame assembly had to be removed to fit the mount. That ultimately added another 1.5 hours to the job and then John did a geometry realignment afterwards and full road test.

How do they drive?

Well as I expected they are a firmer ride than the stock setup, but not earth shattering hard. They are very smooth on the road, but with a firmer rebound over stock so I found the car communicated the road conditions more precisely than before. This makes me more confident to release more of the power in my right foot than before.

As with the Eibach coilovers I had on my old Cupra R, though they might be firm you still try to avoid the potholes where you can. Though they are a lot less crashy than stock when you do discover the potholes, so they unsettle the car much less.

Cruising home on the motorway was more comfortable with less swaying motion in the cabin, the coilys really do smooth out the road surface but lessen the roll, far less braking dive and acceleration lift. Feels a lot more nailed to the road.

Pressing on through some of my favourite roundabouts, I couldn't get it to break away on me, (might be different in the wet) but today in sunny dry conditions the car was effortless to control and felt like a much nimbler car than it's size would convey. The Cupra has a good chassis under it anyway for a hot hatch at least, and the KW's do aid and compliment the handling rather than change it too radically.

Though under boost you still suffer from the inevitable under-steer but it's reigned in much more than before and is more easily controlled. I'm sure the 19's do effect the sharpness of the steering and 18's would no doubt be more suited for track conditions, however no complaints from me the KW's really hit the mark in fast road conditions.

The Density Line mount I sourced from Issam@INA is a superb investment a solid rubber mount, it does have the slight negative drawback of increasing the vibration in the cabin as you pull away but this effect soon disappears as you get under way. I expect the full polyurethane mounts such as the VF Engineering kit would be even harsher than the rubber DL mount.

The wheel hop is controlled now and everything feels far more solid when you give it some right foot. The most surprising improvement was gear changes, they feel more solid now and easily engage where as before it could at times feel sloppy as the engine rocked back and forth.

Bottom line, I totally recommend the V1's for the Cupra and a good dog-bone mount such as the Density Line further compliments the kit.

Pics to follow. ;)

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Before

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Looks good Mark. Looking forward to the full side on shot.

Need to pick your brains about the dog bone you got fitted though. Have you got details of it?

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
That looks ace. thats like the perfect ride height, should come like that from the factory :p

If you dont mind me asking how much was it all fitted?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Looks good Mark. Looking forward to the full side on shot.

Need to pick your brains about the dog bone you got fitted though. Have you got details of it?

Aye didn't get chance, someone was parked alongside it later on and I couldn't be arsed to move it somewhere to get a full side on shot. So i'll do it tomorrow here at home.

Dog bone was sourced from Issam at INA. I actually got it off him well before xmas but due to one thing or another I didn't get round to it. The job looked a bit of a mare for the pathetically un-mechanical like myself, so I knew it would have to be an Awesome job at some stage. :D

You can see mine fitted here

main.php

main.php

More info and fitting guide here - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4195875

As for price and availability you'll have to speak to Issam over in his forum.

The mount is a full replacement, rather than an insert/upgrade kit.

Vibration as you pull off is noticeably increased into the cabin and some people might not like it, but the overall result is apparent. Everything feels a great deal tighter now and not slopping about. When it's on the dyno at RS Tuning on Saturday I hope I will see less engine travel under load.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
That looks ace. thats like the perfect ride height, should come like that from the factory :p

If you dont mind me asking how much was it all fitted?

Thanks, pleased with the result. Plus the option is still there to adjust it further, lower if taste dictates or higher. I'll see how it settles over time, might wind it up a bit more if it drops more. But I'm quite happy with the look and drop so far...low rider [B)]

It's weird seeing how low it is now, it used to sit almost as high as my mum's Honda Jazz on the drive, now it looks like it's sat a foot lower than the Jazz. :blink:

Will be much easier to clean the roof now. :D

KW Variant 1 kit for the Cupra 1P (Mk2) supplied by Awesome is - £1082.55 inclusive of VAT which includes the fitting and a geometry realignment and check too.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Cool, dont think ill be splashing out quite so much on my car yet :)

To be honest if you can't stretch to the KW's then do consider the alternatives such as the cheaper AP's. They lack the stainless steel inoxx struts which prevents premature corrosion, but I believe they are built in the KW factory to a high standard and offer a good value for money alternative I expect they would work out roughly half the price of the KW's fitted.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Yer, everything conspired against me late last year and early this year what with health problems and then work commitments, I never got round to it.

But it's all good at the moment touch wood! :whistle:

Will see what your opinion on the mount is when i see ya on Saturday at RS Tuning. Should be a good day.

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Looks sweet mate.

Improving handling is defo something I am considering as not overly impressed with standard set up, however, over a grand probably a bit pricey for me but can understand why you would want to indulge :) Thanks for the alternative option btw

Sorry to crash you post a little, i'm a bit thick, can you explain a little more about the dog bone as not heard of these before.

In the past I have improved cars with struts, springs and a brace.

Have you also got a strut brace? Or is this dog bone thingy something similar?

Sorry for being such a noob!!

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Will see what your opinion on the mount is when i see ya on Saturday at RS Tuning. Should be a good day.

me too.
is the engine rocking noticeably different to look at mark? its the one thing i dislike about rr days, the fact the engine looks like it is going to flip over :blink:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Looks sweet mate.

Improving handling is defo something I am considering as not overly impressed with standard set up, however, over a grand probably a bit pricey for me but can understand why you would want to indulge :) Thanks for the alternative option btw

Sorry to crash you post a little, i'm a bit thick, can you explain a little more about the dog bone as not heard of these before.

In the past I have improved cars with struts, springs and a brace.

Have you also got a strut brace? Or is this dog bone thingy something similar?

Sorry for being such a noob!!

The dog-bone is the specific mount that ties the engine to the rest of the car. The dogbone mount is set into the cars subframe and then attached to a pendulum arm which in turn attaches to the bottom of the engine.

The standard mount uses a much softer rubber and is not a fully solid piece. There are also 'insert' kits available that pop a polyurethane insert into the area not taken up by the stock rubber mount.

main.php

Solid One on the left is Density Line, the other is the stock mount.

However in my case I've opted for the Density Line mount that Issam @ INA offered, which is a totally replacement dogbone mount, containing solid rubber and also the rubber it uses is of a stronger durometer of rubber than the standard mount.

The benefit means the engine should not swing on the mount under load as much as it would on the stock mount. With high power cars, this generates wheel hop when the cars front wheels starts jumping under hard acceleration and also prevents excessive strain on engine components such as the exhaust downpipe being broken.

In the image below you can see the replacement mount, which is the big round rubber part.

main.php

The only real negative that people may discover is to stiffen everything up, means that more vibration when pulling away is transferred into the cabin. Once under motion this goes away and is not an issue but it's worth noting that by increasing the strength of the mount it will cause that vibration.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
me too.
is the engine rocking noticeably different to look at mark? its the one thing i dislike about rr days, the fact the engine looks like it is going to flip over :blink:

I won't know until Saturday for sure when it's under load. The engine and transmission mounts are still standard, but the dogbone should reduce the effect I hope.

That will be the real test I expect.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members