• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Nationwide Autos Or Kwik Fit?

Gordomc69

Going to put my MK4 Ibiza, 56 plate into one of these places for a free brake check.

Any advice/words on these two and which one should I use, if any?

Cheers

Aug 24, 2007
yep, all your discs and pads need replaced ;)

Standard diagnosis from Kwik Fit :D

Gordomc69

yep, all your discs and pads need replaced ;)

Standard diagnosis from Kwik Fit :D

I just asked around and Nationwide seem to be the best bet :D

Nationwide it is, they'll do the AirCon too.

Happy Days.

"All your brakes are shot, needs new pads and discs, your exhaust is also blowing and it cold realy do with a service. Oh i also see your MOT is due next month shall we do that while you wait?"

Im guessing it will go a lot like that!

Find a local independent where prices are much better and your less likley to have your pants pulled down

" Im afraid the the vehicle is unsafe to drive and we cant allow you to leave either"

bizzaboy

"....your exhaust is also blowing and it cold realy do with a service. Oh i also see your MOT is due next month shall we do that while you wait?"

Im guessing it will go a lot like that!

Find a local independent where prices are much better and your less likley to have your pants pulled down

" Im afraid the the vehicle is unsafe to drive and we cant allow you to leave either"

That's pretty much what happened THIS WEEK when we took my wife's car into Vauxha11 for a routine service (Dealers). They even told us to sign on the dotted line to state we were driving the car away without having the work done by them - so they were not liable for any accidents!

We immediatrly drove the car to a local independant garage that fixed the "issues" raised at 1/4 of the price - with official Vauxhall parts too. It really is worth the extra time locating a reliable local garage.

Gordomc69

Why dont you just have a look and see if the pads are low and discs are cracked/ big lip?

I am unbelievably clueless when it comes to cars, it's my first car and I couldn't tell my arse from my elbow!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
honestly, I think that people should be shot that can't do that.

it's no harder than checking your tyres

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Take whatever they say with a large pinch of salt. Nationwide once told me my Golf needed a new exhaust as the hangars were moving (like they're meant to) :rolleyes:

Gordomc69

For a kick off, well over the top.

If it is easy peasy then you give me a breakdown on how to do it, real lehmans terms.

I've read through guides on here and the net and it is double dutch to me.

I've got all the pics for you to have a look at, look here and you tell me if I need them done...

rbgxky.jpg

e0llkh.jpg

10xzktl.jpg

25f7gr5.jpg

2wc195g.jpg

To me they look bad, I've no idea what I am looking for however.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Those pictures are like how I see after six pints.

look for a whopping great lip on the discs (I think you can see that in the pic)

and you just need to look at the pad to see what thickness is left...

Gordomc69

Those pictures are like how I see after six pints.

look for a whopping great lip on the discs (I think you can see that in the pic)

and you just need to look at the pad to see what thickness is left...

Be a cheap night out with you then eh?

I'll have a look.

They squeak when I break, like a high pitched noise, I take it this could be several things?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
squeaking when you brake can be dirty brakes, but more often the pads are about to wear right out.

danny20vt

going back to basics

like this :rifle:

or this :laser:

anyway on to the question in hand, just a couple of months ago the dad in law took his Kia Sadona to kwik fit for a pair of front tyres, that will be £205* please sir! :yelcard:
he then asked for a "free" brake check, that will be £675* sir for 2 tyres, 4 discs, front and rear pads, centre exhaust and a back box :redcard:

needless to say neither tyres, brakes or exhaust were done there:ban:

*please note, prices are a guess as i can't remember what i did yesterday yet alone a few months ago but they were around this price!

Lecatona HPFP (High-pressure Fuel Pump Upgrades)