Cams

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
I had my work done at Stealth Racing, got schrick 268 cams not too wild but about the limit the standard ecu can take..... most people will tell you 260 cams are the biggest but vince at stealth ensured me 268's will work and well they did!

Had a ported and polished head and all set up with a remap, isn't cheap and you probably talking more than what you paid for your valver if you brought it in the last year or two!

Yeah i am looking at prices and seeing the cams come up at £650 plus.....I am lucky that my valver is still young so time is on my side....so have got time to save for the work and parts..Plus things always have a way of presenting themselves....a cam...(sorry Jase, pair of !) might just jump up and slap me round the face at a bargain price.:whistle:

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
cat cams have got a very good name for themselves with the VTS and 106 GTi boys, I got about 3 or 4 mates running them and all produce good power. If you go to Stealth, Vince will probably tell you to go for Schrick tho lol.

Try TSR before the new owners they use to do a copy of the schrick cam but cheaper so did Newman cams I think.

I spent in the range of £2k getting mine done

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
cat cams have got a very good name for themselves with the VTS and 106 GTi boys, I got about 3 or 4 mates running them and all produce good power. If you go to Stealth, Vince will probably tell you to go for Schrick tho lol.

Try TSR before the new owners they use to do a copy of the schrick cam but cheaper so did Newman cams I think.

I spent in the range of £2k getting mine done

wow, thas a lot of cash dave...fair play mate.

If i am going to do it then i want to do it right. to be honest that link is the cheapest ive seen so far, but will check out the others you mentioned dave. WIll also drop midland vw a call tomorrow do get an idea of price on the head work. How very bloody exciting.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Ok,

So after seeing those cat cams yesterday for £460 have spoken with the midland vw IN CANNOCK and they have quoted me £240 for a new cam belt and tensioning roller and install of the cams…

I asked the question about the polishing and he has said the main gain will come from the cams and that its not essential, although if I wanted it doing…all in for £1k.

What you think ?

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
Not sure I would spend 1k on making my daily driver less daily driver friendly Dan.
What cam are you looking at and how much more poke are you going to be getting for the cash?

I got quoted £1500ish for a 36k milage 1.8T install running 180bhp before christmas - is that not worth considering instead?

Ollie

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Never really thought about a conversion Ol as my engine only has 65k on it and it seems to be sound. Just want a bit more of a kick out of it.

There is a link a few post’s up to the Cat Cam’s kit I have seen and £240 to get it all fitted seems ok as need the cam belt doing anyways.

I could live with £600 for a bit more fun……when I think about all the other little bits and bots ive done…

Exhaust system £300, decat £80, induction kit £70…..I am only £100 odd off that anyways if you see what I mean…..if a few things go my way in the next few weeks I think I am just going to go for it.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
its highly recommend to have the head as well, imrpove the flow! is that price with a remap? didn't know midland vw had a rolling road.

Before going for cams get a filter, 4-1 manifold, decat and exhuast i managed 170bhp with them mods. then progess to cams and headwork, end of the day u need them mods as well to get the best from using cams. So do them 1st!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
i'm with ollie, my mate has it on his abf golf, and even he admits it has made his daily driver a hooligan! the power is good, but you got to weigh up the pro's and con's (not trying to put this dream down or nothing mate, just giving home truths!)

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
well i drove around for about 2 years with the cams and it's something you can live with if you love the lumpyness etc.....

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
hey, thanks for the honesty chaps.

You know i spoke to midland VW a while back about a 4-1 manifold and the said not bother....hurmmmm....I have a decat and full exhaust system already and at the last RR i pulled a 155....Think my problem back the was lack of air though but have sorted that out now with a feed.

Huurrrrmmm, i am confused.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
tbh with what you telling me that midland vw are telling you is putting me off them!

Not to do a ported and polished head with cams, not to have a 4-1 manifold... shocking

All this talk about cams got me thinking of throttle bodies again and I haven't even got my car back on the road after almost a year lol. Just looking into KMS management because I know a lot of the french lot love it and I'm impressed with the figures they getting so have a look init :)

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
Not sure I would spend 1k on making my daily driver less daily driver friendly Dan.
What cam are you looking at and how much more poke are you going to be getting for the cash?

I got quoted £1500ish for a 36k milage 1.8T install running 180bhp before christmas - is that not worth considering instead?

Ollie

installing cams and a head polish with a remap will yeild what, 30 - 40 bhp :shrug:

:think:
£1500 for a 1.8T with half as many miles, 180 bhp standard, have i read that right that includes the engine? if it does thats a good price for a full conversion! :yes:

add a stage 1 remap you'd have 210+, then start adding breathing mods, air filter / full exhaust and you'd be getting nearer 230 bhp.....

i know what id be doing [B)]

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
tbh with what you telling me that midland vw are telling you is putting me off them!

Not to do a ported and polished head with cams, not to have a 4-1 manifold... shocking

All this talk about cams got me thinking of throttle bodies again and I haven't even got my car back on the road after almost a year lol. Just looking into KMS management because I know a lot of the french lot love it and I'm impressed with the figures they getting so have a look init :)

I am between a rock and a hard place when it comes to stuff like this dave. I dont have the knowledge myself so have to ask and when you chaps say one thing and the garage where i take my car says another i dont know what the hell to think ?? its very confusing....on the 4-1 manifold thing he said that he had RR'd cars before and after and had no differance. He also said that engine movment can snap them ???:confused: see what i mean mate when you get told somthing like that by someone who you trust with your car and have a very good name it confuses the hell out of me...I also think why not tell me that all this suff is golden to get more cash out of me ??

But once again big thanks for all this advice, its priceless !

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
installing cams and a head polish with a remap will yeild what, 30 - 40 bhp :shrug:

:think:
£1500 for a 1.8T with half as many miles, 180 bhp standard, have i read that right that includes the engine? if it does thats a good price for a full conversion! :yes:

add a stage 1 remap you'd have 210+, then start adding breathing mods, air filter / full exhaust and you'd be getting nearer 230 bhp.....

i know what id be doing [B)]

1.8T's sound limp, valvers scream with joy.....then go bang.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.