ABF engine and cams

killer205

Jun 2, 2007
hi

i have just been looking at some KR cams for the ABF engine which is the same engine that is in the ibiza and the golf right?

if so dose any 1 know what sort of power it will give if i put them cams in it.

cheers

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
by KR cams I'm guessing that means that they're cams taken from a KR engine which is a 1.8 16v as fitted to mk2 golf gti's and corrado's. If this is what they are then there is no benefit whatsoever in fitting them! what is quite common is when poeple have a 9A engined car (late 2.0L 16v corrados ect) that only has 130 odd bhp, then fitting a set of cams from an ABF (or KR, can't actually remember) will give a 20bhp gain taking power to 150bhp.

killer205

Jun 2, 2007
by KR cams I'm guessing that means that they're cams taken from a KR engine which is a 1.8 16v as fitted to mk2 golf gti's and corrado's. If this is what they are then there is no benefit whatsoever in fitting them! what is quite common is when poeple have a 9A engined car (late 2.0L 16v corrados ect) that only has 130 odd bhp, then fitting a set of cams from an ABF (or KR, can't actually remember) will give a 20bhp gain taking power to 150bhp.

thanks yea that dose make sence now do you know any where i can get cams for the ABF ibiza engine

cheers

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
KR cams are said to bring the power in around 1k rpm earlier but its a trade off in top end.

you can get cams for the 16v from Piper Cams, Kent cams, Shrick, Cat Cams to name a few...

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
the ones i've heard the best reports about seem to be schrick! best person to ask would be dinky dave as he has a 190bhp n/a abf in his car!I personally am not gonna bother with cams as for the £500-£600 they cost i would have the head ported and polished and get the inlet/exhaust ports matched and would result in more power whilst retaining the standard smooth idle and fuel consumpsion. also by doing that if I ever did decide to fit cam's i'd get a lot more power!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
KR cams are said to bring the power in around 1k rpm earlier but its a trade off in top end.

you can get cams for the 16v from Piper Cams, Kent cams, Shrick, Cat Cams to name a few...

and isn't it just the inlet cam? i think brendy did this when his belt went pingu.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
I think he did both IIRC

I went with an entire good kr head and mixed and matched all fittings but the actual innards of the kr head were from the mk2 golf. more torque and same bhp as figures before it went as jase so delightfully put it, PINGU! :cartman:
I traded in for the cupra before I had time to ge tthe inlet flowed, I reckon there was a very good increase (relatively speaking) as the inlets on the kr are narrower than the abf with scope for a fair amount of metal removal.