Fit my K&N Air Filter...

Maximus2000uk

Hey there,

I need someone to fit my K&N air-filter for me. Its a panel one and despite following various online guides, I just couldnt do it!

If someone is based in or around London, and is willing to fit it for a fee, please let me know.

Thanks

Max

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
It should be fairly straight forward to do, I swapped mine over, just a matter of undoing the 5 or so screws around the airbox and dropping the new one in! :)

Am cleaning mine tomorrow so can take some photos if you want?

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Its really not that difficult mate. Just 5 screws (okay the 5 screws a bit long so it might feel as if you are unscrewing them for ages) and lift up the cover.
Alex

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Its a bit of an arse getting the air intake pipe (post filter) back on the engine cover. Have either of you two done it on the TFSI?

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
I'm sure it will be as they're totally different engines. . .

Changing an airfilter is the same in pretty much any car. I've dont it in a few of the cars I've owned. I checked my olf Focus TDCi and my mates Focus 1.8 petrol and they were identical too.

In every car I've done, its been a matter of unscrewing the top of the airbox, taking one filter out, dropping the new one in and rescrewing..

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
yes indeed, I'm not contesting that, they're a piece of piss to change.

it's just that DanGB said "Its a bit of an arse getting the air intake pipe (post filter) back on the engine cover." to which you replied "can't be that much different . . "

all air filter boxes are gonna be the same idea, it's just that it seemed you were implying the two engines are pretty much the same, whereas DanGB was saying there's a certain difficutly with the TFSI as opposed to the TDI

Maximus2000uk

I tried to do it in my TFSI using various guides from this site and it was a pain in the a**e. I did everything properly. but in the end I couldnt open the piece which actually contained the air filter! I could see it through the big piece of black plastic which was on the floor in the garage, but I couldnt work out how to actually unclasp the box!

So, the offer remains. If its that easy to do, then I'll gladly pay for you to come round and do it for me. Im based in Central London.

H8T WP

did you find the screws to undo on the airbox which contains the panel filter?

Maximus2000uk

I think so, but i was then fazed by the clips...8 of them I think, and thats where, after 2 hours of trying, I gave up!

I think so, but i was then fazed by the clips...8 of them I think, and thats where, after 2 hours of trying, I gave up!

There are no clips, they are the hinges :doh:.

1) Take off the engine cover (undo the hose to the front of the grille, the hose with clips at the rear left of the engine cover and unclip and remove the MAF sensor connector).
2) Unscrew the heat shield from the engine cover.
3) Loosen (not remove, they are designed to stay in the lower part of the cover) the screws on the underside of the engine cover.
4) The cover will hinge on the rear "clips" you mention. You need to remove the big hose from the air intake at the front of the car as the cover splits in half on this and if the hose is still attached it won't.
5) Remove filter and replace with new one.
6) Put the screws back.
7) Put the heatshield back
8) Make sure the gromets are in the holes in the engine cover (and not left on the posts - this one got me) and replace the engine cover.
9) Put all the hoses, etc. back.
10) Open and drink beer.

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
There are no clips, they are the hinges :doh:.

1) Take off the engine cover (undo the hose to the front of the grille, the hose with clips at the rear left of the engine cover and unclip and remove the MAF sensor connector).
2) Unscrew the heat shield from the engine cover.
3) Loosen (not remove, they are designed to stay in the lower part of the cover) the screws on the underside of the engine cover.
4) The cover will hinge on the rear "clips" you mention. You need to remove the big hose from the air intake at the front of the car as the cover splits in half on this and if the hose is still attached it won't.
5) Remove filter and replace with new one.
6) Put the screws back.
7) Put the heatshield back
8) Make sure the gromets are in the holes in the engine cover (and not left on the posts - this one got me) and replace the engine cover.
9) Put all the hoses, etc. back.
10) Open and drink beer.

Paul, have you put a K&N in yours??
What's the gain?

Any other MODs?

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
I know mine is a TDI but I got mine of a member on here who had sold his Leon and sold me a few bits and bobs, he fitted it in about 2 minutes... Having said that not sure I would have been happy unplugging things and taking stuff apart!!!!

I know mine is a TDI but I got mine of a member on here who had sold his Leon and sold me a few bits and bobs, he fitted it in about 2 minutes... Having said that not sure I would have been happy unplugging things and taking stuff apart!!!!

I think the TDi must be different to the Cupra, no way it could be done in 2 minutes (and I'll challenge anyone to do in that time).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.