Why are Pirelli tyres so bad???

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Lots of mixed reviews about this. I put 2.3bar in my last set of tyres and they wore really well. Now i changed to the pirellis and these seem ok on that pressure too. if they wear quick in the middle then i will change the pressures to 29 front and 26 rear and see how this goes.

Any more reviews on Pirellis out there??

TimJK

Audi Techie
Jan 10, 2009
Norwich
www.eacruise.co.uk
With working for audi i see a huge variation in tyres. Some of the best have to be the Pirelli Pzero, Goodyear Eagle F1, Continental Sport Contact 2, Michelin Pilot Sport, Bridgestone Potenza, Yokohama Parada.

I currently have Pirelli Pzero's on my LCR and having only had it a few days found them to be good, but on my dads car he has Michelin Pilot sports (audi a5) and i drive it all the time and have yet to lose traction.

On my last car i chose to go with Yokohama Parada, and apart from being so soft and wearing quick they were awesome tyres.

I was also told about having pressures at 29/26 by the guy i bought the car from. it made about 8000 miles difference.

TimJK

Audi Techie
Jan 10, 2009
Norwich
www.eacruise.co.uk
Oh and to add to that after the pirellis wear down i will be putting some goodyear eagle f1's on, as i took some part worns off a tt on 4mm at work the other day so kept all 4.

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net
i'm happy enough to stay with me p-zero's. they are a bit tricky in the wet but what tyre/car isn't if you push it:shrug: it is tempting to try goodyear gsd3 though just to see what all the fuss is about if nothing else!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
i'm happy enough to stay with me p-zero's. they are a bit tricky in the wet but what tyre/car isn't if you push it:shrug: it is tempting to try goodyear gsd3 though just to see what all the fuss is about if nothing else!
A car with Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric isn't a handful in the wet.
Step out of the dark and into the light, you will be impressed.
Three magazines can't be wrong with their reviews

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Finally im hearing some good things about p-zeros!! im still having no trouble with them. I had a long journey yesterday in bad weather and thought they were brilliant!

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Can anyone tell me if its true that the LCR front wheels are on a slight camber??:confused: so even if you get the tracking checked there still going to wear the inside tread down:shrug:

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net
Can anyone tell me if its true that the LCR front wheels are on a slight camber??:confused: so even if you get the tracking checked there still going to wear the inside tread down:shrug:

tyres should wear evenly to the eye mate, if they don't somethings wrong!!! i wouldn't bother with tracking on an lcr as often the rear wheeels that are out, so a good four wheel laser alignment is the only way forward my friend. i had mine done at Deamon Tweeks in wrexham for £65. the car feels better than ever since!;)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If you have a look at my readers rides section there is pictures of the swing arm/wishbones. These are slotted at the end where the ball joints are bolted in. This gives an amount of camber to these. The OEM standards have these all the way out to the end of the slots.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
The slots do not help with camber adjustment, the last time the car went to an alignment the mechanic loosened the bolts and tried to push the wheel to give more camber but it didn't move. Camber is set by factory to -0.5 degrees front and -1.5 degrees rear and can be changed only by adjustable top mounts or shims :(

~Nautilus

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The slots do not help with camber adjustment, the last time the car went to an alignment the mechanic loosened the bolts and tried to push the wheel to give more camber but it didn't move. Camber is set by factory to -0.5 degrees front and -1.5 degrees rear and can be changed only by adjustable top mounts or shims :(

~Nautilus
Yup thats what I mean, there is camber adjustment on these but they are adjusted all the way out for the OEM specs. The only adjustment you have available now is more + camber, but who wants that!!

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
So regardless of lazer alignment/tracking the tyres will wear a little more on the inside then???

Thats not been the case on any of my 4 Leons although I haven't owned a Cupra R. My current Leon has had 4 wheel laser alignment with primary and secondary angles checked and adjusted. Its wearing the tyres uniformly with no inner or outer wear.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
So regardless of lazer alignment/tracking the tyres will wear a little more on the inside then???
Nothe -0.5 degree isn't enough to wear the inner edge too much. you would need about -2 degrees before you should get this. As above get your alignment done. Mine initially wore the inner edges till I got the alignment done

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Yup thats what I mean, there is camber adjustment on these but they are adjusted all the way out for the OEM specs. The only adjustment you have available now is more + camber, but who wants that!!

Then why don't we "elongate" the slots in the lower control arm with a small drill to allow more negative camber?.... If only that was so easy... :(

~Nautilus

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members