Why are Pirelli tyres so bad???

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Cheers for all the replies guys!!! keep them coming,:D and thanks for reminding me to sort my avatar!!!! Maybe i will think the same if i put goodyears on the car. I thought the road noise was greatly reduced since putting the pirellis on??!!:confused: But as i said i cant fault them.

I ask this coz most LCR's i see weather they be on ebay or parked on the road have pirellis on.
TBH until I started on this forum I never paid too much attension to tyres etc.
I had shite tyres on my last car but didn't know much about tyres so just stuck with them.
This forum is good for alot of things but bad for the bank balance

breezy2511

I've had my car for over a year now and have had to get four new tyres already. They came with P0's on them, and having an OCD that everything has to match, I carried on getting them. But the tread seems to go on them so quickly, but that could be to do with my driving.....

lol :)

FLK

May 14, 2005
UK, Staffordshire
I found the Pirelli's pretty bad even when I had two new fronts fitted by the dealer when I first got the car, they clearly couldn't handle the power even in the dry.

I've started the change to Asymmetrics this weekend but had to put them on the front as my GSD3s are made in China and had predictably distorted but the garage advised that I kept the worn rear GSD3s on the rear due to the vibration I'd get if they moved them to the front. I would have replaced them but money is getting tight at the moment and I need new brake pads on the front along with an MOT and tax coming up.

I have to say though the front GSD3s still kept their grip level well even in the wet with the middles worn down to the indicators and they were worth the extra cost, hopefully the Asymmetrics being German made will be okay now though. I'll have the rears replaced in a few months but I guess I'll still need to avoid China made ones unless Goodyear have sorted the problem out with the new Asymmetrics?

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Had P6000 "ditchfinders" :D on my last Cupra for about 1000 miles until I could afford to change them. Along with Avon ZZ3s, they are the worst performance orientated tyre I've driven on.

At the moment I've got Eagle F1 GSD3s on the rear and Bridgestone Potenza RE050s on the front, grip is superb in conjunction with the Weitec coilovers.

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
Had P6000 "ditchfinders" :D on my last Cupra for about 1000 miles until I could afford to change them. Along with Avon ZZ3s, they are the worst performance orientated tyre I've driven on.

At the moment I've got Eagle F1 GSD3s on the rear and Bridgestone Potenza RE050s on the front, grip is superb in conjunction with the Weitec coilovers.

I'll second the Avons being not that good. I had them on a 306 Dturbo and they couldn't handle the immense 90bhp!

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
oh good ill keep them at that pressure and keep and eye on them. I put in what it says on the fuel filler door. My other tyres i had seemed to wear pretty even with this pressure in them

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Ive moved up from a golf gti(mk4) with eagle f1's to the LCR(225) and on roads i know well and in the wet at the same speeds my golf had more grip although with a hell of a lot more body roll than the LCR and this is meant to be a sportier version so il hopefully be trying F1's again on the Leon. In the dry they feel like good tyres though.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
anyone tried using Vredestein Ultrac Sessentas?

Haven't tried them personally but they have an excellent reputation. Its worth noting that tyres that work well on say an Impreza, are not automatically going to be good on a Leon. Steering and suspension geometry plays a big part in overall grip and different cars will favour different tyres.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.