Charge pipe popped off!

Chriswaite130

Byebye TDI, Hello VTEC y0
Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
Hi peeps

I got my cambelt and waterpump changed today - no problems. But the mechanic did say that a clip holding the pipe on leaving the turbo was about knackered, and looked like it could pop off soon. Lo and behold, on the way home - it did. At least i think it was that, there was a big bang, but i couldnt see any smoke?

Im useless with these kinda things. Iv done a quick search but nothing really helps. Just wondering if this has happened to any of you? And how much it would cost to fix roughly?

Thanks

Chris

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Either your mechanic is a fortune teller or he had to remove the pipe to do the work and in the process he broke it, then stuck it back in and told you it looked dodgy :no:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Kind of makes you wonder what else he broke and but back together badly :(

Your boost pipe can be repaired with a large jubilee clip that costs about £5

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
The top intercooler hose would have been removed to get access to the cambelt. The clips are never as strong if they are removed and then put back. However the poping off of the pipe could have damaged the tongue which secures each pipe together....if this has damaged, it'll keep poping off.

T. Spark

And charge you for something so simple? Id not say so no!

Have you lost any power? loud hissling noise? any more white/black smoke out of the back? Anything look 'lose' in the engine bay?

Chriswaite130

Byebye TDI, Hello VTEC y0
Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
Yeah I lost power, was a huge bang too. I didnt notice much smoke but tbh I didnt accelerate at all! Sounded like a tank though. Iv just noticed a thread been put up about the same problem, but if anyone uses any better clips to stop it from happening again. Might be worth keeping an eye on this

andy33

I've had exactly the same problem today, accelerated in second gear, there was a loud bang and it now feels as though the turbo is not cutting in at all, the engine runs fine apart from this, cant hear any hissing noises, and I didn't see any smoke at all
Its a 2002 ibiza 130 sport, cant see any hoses off, but there is a small hole in the large pipe(3 inches in diameter) coming fromt he turbe on the underside, cant really see it but can feel a hole there, cant feel any air coming out when the car is idling though, not sure if this is the problem?? Car doesn't sound any noisier than it did before.
Any help gratefully appreciated!!

CORBY

May 1, 2007
Sunderland & Washington
This happened to me a while back, the second pipe up from the intercooler popped off, there was a bang sound but no smoke. I tried to put it back on but it kept popping off because the ali lugs were worn, I just went to a seat dealers and got a new pipe for that section, think it was about £23.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
We tried to get one made for the petrol Cupras but Forge wanted 20 people minimum..I think there was around 10 after several months..and by then people had got rid of their cars :(

andy33

My car is completely standard, no remapping. I know very little about cars, where is the pipe that kept popping off and how easy is it to get to??

CORBY

May 1, 2007
Sunderland & Washington
If you take your engine cover off and look in the front left of the bay there is a pipe that comes from the intercooler into the egr valve at the top left of the engine itself, check all that pipework, mine came off nearer the intercooler. Good Luck.

This happened to me in town one night, the second pipe after the forge front mount intercooler popped off! but it would click back on ( it was one of the orginal OEM pipes second before the inlet manifold!) and as soon as u went over 0.4 bar of boost, instand pop or bang garentee'd! i solved this by clicking it together then getting a jubilee clip and putting it around it holding the clip from moving/ popping off from pressure, 3 months have passed! all is well ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.