Bit of a worrying noise when pulling away....

Rory1984

Nov 8, 2007
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help, my Ibiza has started making a bit of an odd sound as i pull away, sounds as though something is spinning but also grinding just as i pull away, almost like wheelspin but more mechanical.

No trouble selecting gears so initially though it could not be the clutch but i think if you give it more revs the noise is not apparent. Any ideas?!?!? :confused:

Also the ABS light came on earlier but then went off shortly after, no idea if this is related as i hear this is a common problem too?

Thanks people!

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Check your brake pads, ie that they arent worn right down.

If they are okay it could be the issue im resolving which is sticking caliper pins, which is a fairly easy job check haynes manual, basically wd40 to clean them and their hole up, then silicone or synthetic grease to lube them.

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Havent you got discovery channel, and now you will tell me you have a life!

well for those who dont know;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UFCyrunpY

Truly wonderful plane, along with spitfire, hurricane, mosquito.

Id say its pretty close to bearing sound.

This principle works ok, unless of course you happen to be in a lancaster bomber in which case knowing you have dodgy bearings is somewhat more difficult to ascertain using this approach.

Rory1984

Nov 8, 2007
Lol, always loved the sound of a Mustang myself funnly enough i got my dad the haynes manual for the Lancaster for xmas!!......anyways, thanks for all the replies, i shall look into the wheel bearing, doesn't always make the sound though, would this be the case for a wheel bearing?

Rory1984

Nov 8, 2007
Just a quick update, the noise seems to come and go but is pretty much no longer occurring so a bit of a mystery, the abs light was on due to the abs wiring rubbing on the driveshafts and wearing through, have had it repaired and cabled tied them out of the way now!! my new coilovers did nto have clips for them it would seem!!

Also got some yoko parada spec 2's for the front which are going on tmrw before i finally get the camber and alignment sorted!! SHould stick to the road a bit better after all that!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Cant beat the sound of those Merlins.

just helped finish a check/rebuild on one of them at our dad's place - ex military storage (unused) going in a speedboat :D

been promised a float around in it when it next gets wet so i'll get some vids

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
btw to check wheel bearings, jack up so the wheel is off the ground. Then hold the wheel top and bottom and test for movement, do same left and right sides. basically the wheel should be solid, if it moves (taps, clinks slightly) then its a wheel bearing.

thinks that right isnt it chaps?