Braces and coilovers

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
whenever I was after something for less than the RRP I would usually look on the gaybay. I was after and OMP front/upper strut brace and found one on the bay for 70 quid delivered. Not bad I though...untill I came across a site called www.strutbracer.co.uk and managed to get BOTH front and rear braces for 77 quid delivered! mad eh? still at least I'll have some fairly decent handling by the time i've finished! just bought a full set of OEM spec KYB dampers and a gmax -20mm sping kit. I was gonna get one of them 180 quid coilover kits and deck it but having driven around on standard suspension now I've realised that my 16v actually corners better and has more corner grip than my old 8v did on apex sports dampers/h&r -40mm springs! decked cars don't seem to fair that well round here on these bumpy roads!

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
whenever I was after something for less than the RRP I would usually look on the gaybay.

I here you brother :rocker:

Silicon Samco intake hose - £20

OMP front and rear braces - £50

Viper induction kit for the 8v - £37 ( brand new - someone listed it wrong...BEST BARGAIN IN THE WORLD EVER !! )

The list goes on.

Hope you get some pics on when its all fitted.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Can do one better.... full set of samco hoses RRP is £260, I paid £150!

Full font end from Seat should be £1300, I paid £720

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
thing is with that thread link was that although the company did seem to get the arse a bit, the guy was complaining about manufacturing defects that were nothing to do with strubracer.com. although "it seems you're being a bit fussy" is hardly a proffesional response to a paying costumer who could potentially influence hundreds more potential costumers! i'll just have to wait and see what happens eh! got to wait for all the dampers/springs to arrive yet!

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
I'd be wary of OMP strut braces - bought a front upper for a mk1 Golf some years ago that wasn't even the right shape. The mountings were so shonky, you couldn't even fit the bloody thing. There didn't appear to be any damage to the excessively thick and lumpy powdercoat, so I'm guessing it was welded on the p1ss. I fine example of italian quality control...

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
I think i've gotten lucky with the strut braces! I ordered them late sunday evening and they arrived this morning. the finish/build quility is as good as anything else from omp. paint seems fine and the trial fit showed they seem to fit really well. i'll get em fitted on friday and get some pics up.

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
got the front one on tonight in the freezing temperatures! doing the rear one tomorrow

is it me or am I the only one who has only ever experienced good things from omp? i've had seats, harnesses, steering wheels ect and they were all superb. I must have just been lucky!

anyhoo, here is my shiney new strut brace!
12122008427.jpg

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
I love mine....but mine was off ebay..

i never had the rear fitted as the garage said they creek alot and dont really work.

i suspect they couldnt be ar$ed to fit it.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales

i never had the rear fitted as the garage said they creek alot and dont really work.

They do work and it takes two seconds to fit two bolts in total :lol:

If it's adjustable just adjust it so the holes line up with the screws, bolt it on and I adjusted it a lil but more then about 1 turn max.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I was told that they would have to modify the brace to make it fit ?

mine isnt adjustable though Dave.

:confused:

Put it up against the rear struts and see for yourself. You may just need to drill some holes like on the front one!

Oh and there's a lil bracket that may need cutting off or hitting with a hammer, few people on here have fitted one so they can give you more infor. I used a polo 6n one on mine.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland

Well I have one fitted in my 1.4 and I have to say it definetely doesnt creek and I will back up what Dave is saying and it does definetely work!! Stiffens the rear up, really helps if your car is lowered. I noticed a huge difference compared to before it was fitted.

Put it up against the rear struts and see for yourself. You may just need to drill some holes like on the front one!

Oh and there's a lil bracket that may need cutting off or hitting with a hammer, few people on here have fitted one so they can give you more infor. I used a polo 6n one on mine.

You just have to drill 4 holes (2 per side) to fit it. And there is a little bracket that you just have to cut off to get it to fit.

loudasfcuk

Does any1 know if this linky will fit my mk2 gti 8v?? I don't mind some fiddiling but no major issues, looking for a reply asap, help please :confused:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.