Weitec Coilovers Now Fitted - Drive Shaft Popped Out!! STEERING TROUBLE!!

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
Afternoon All,

Well, finally finished fitting all 4 coilovers! Got the car to the height I wanted. Got in, started her up and went to drive away only not to move and hear a horrible grinding noise everytime I got to biting point! It's coming from the left hand side. So off came the wheel again, and the drive shaft appears to have popped out. I think it's come off the left and not the right because the left drops down quite a way where as the right doesn't and you have to get spring compressors on to get the strut out the hub. Anyway, there is a reason for this post. .....

Do I need to remove the CV joint so I can pull the suspension away to line it up and slide it back in? Not sorting it until the morning (gonna catch the 2nd half of the footy!) Has anyone else encountered such a problem before? Any advise?

Thanks all,
Ross

Last edited:

silversport

1.4 Power....
Feb 12, 2008
im sure there is another guy on here who has his mk4 lowered and his drive shaft kept popping, summin tells me his name was phil or summin but i know his car had a body kit on.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
how low is it? can you take a level pic? camera level with the top of the wheel.

it's most likely that, or you've pulled on something fitting them

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
^^^^^^^yep, I sugested the same to him quite early on in his thread back then but it took some convincing to get the garage that lowered his car to sort it for him

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
I'm not at home at the mo but if I can't get it fixed tomorrow I'll post some pics. I'm hoping that it'll just slide back in when I take off the cv joint. It's not that low. The kit I've got does between 35-65 n I've got the adjuster cups about half way down. The backs are all the way down.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
There are loads of people on here with way lower rides than yours and their driveshafts stay put fine.

Seriously, check the retaining clip on the gearbox end of the shaft is fitted and clickes in when you stuff the shaft back in.

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
It's not come loose from the gearbox bit. When I get to biting point it turns but just isn't in the wheel. I think if I lowered it all the way down the bottom of my engine would touch the floor lol.

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
iv lowered mine nearly all the way and not had a drive shaft pop out as of yet.Do ya mean the outter joint which has the cv boot around it. does the inner one bolt on to a flange that goes in the gearbox.

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
Nah it's my 21st tomorrow so I've got the day off work. Got a house full of people at the mo n gettin aled so we'll see if i'm fit for some mechanics in the morn lol. I'll let ya all know how I get on. Can't see it being too much of a problem though!

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
Well, went out to the car at about 10:30 this morning. Took off the bolts underneath the hub so I could pull the suspension out a bit to try and slide the drive shaft back in place. It was having none of it though and I couldn't see what I was doing as the rubber boot was on. I didn't want to have to take this off but ended up doing so. Good job I did because the CV joint had turned nearly all the way to the side so it was basically impossible to get it in without taking it off. Once I'd got it off it was a bit of a struggle to get it in but with a bit of pursuation with a wooden mallet it went in. Just need a new CV joint clip as the old one is buggered and I can't get it back on. Got some Toyo' Proxes T1-R coming in the morning fully fitted and balanced for £150 (2 front ones). Here's some pics anyway...

What you all think about the height? The back is all the way down and the front is about half way down. Looks pretty even to me though....

PS - I know, it needs a clean lol!

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00638.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

CIMG1564.jpg

seatIbizaafternewsuspension.jpg

seatIbizaafternewsuspention.jpg

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
looks good how long have you had them on for?the back looks a little hight sayin there right down.I removed the space to make it even lower if there new they will settle down it will look even lower.Keep them greased up aswell.Are your wheels 16s? if i had 17s then they would be right down iv lowered mine so my under tray is about a inch of the floor got about 6 turns left till there right down iv not had any drive shaft problams yet.Did you get shorter anti roll bar links with your kit?

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
looks good how long have you had them on for?the back looks a little hight sayin there right down.I removed the space to make it even lower if there new they will settle down it will look even lower.Keep them greased up aswell.Are your wheels 16s? if i had 17s then they would be right down iv lowered mine so my under tray is about a inch of the floor got about 6 turns left till there right down iv not had any drive shaft problams yet.Did you get shorter anti roll bar links with your kit?

Finished putting them on today and only drove it about 20 metres (from my neighbours garage to my house). Don't wanna drive it until I've got my new tires on as I'm currently illegal lol.

Mine's on the standard 16's n yeah I was thinking it doesn't look THAT low but I'm fairly happy with it. Just want to get it out and test out how good the new springs are! Need to get a cable tie round my rubber CV boot as the old clip has come off and won't go back on!

Didn't get new ARB links.... the bit it screws into was still in the same place so I didn't have any probs getting them back on..

Only reason the drive shaft had come out was because I'd probably pushed the housing that far down it popped out. Might be somthing that Muddyboots wants to add to his guide (or is it just me being clumbsy!?)

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
so that means it will get lower then when they settle down mine dropped alot after a bit now my tyres are in the archers now might take it up abit theo.I got told that the anti roll bar rubs on the drive shaft if its to low.I found that the drivers side was harder to do and i hit the cv boot and split it with a hammer but lucky i had some super glue and some black sealer in my tool box lol.

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
Help!

Ah Right no worries. I now have another problem. I don't need my car today thank god but I had to move it out the drive this morning and the steering felt Like it was tuning in a bucket full of tar. It felt worse than not having power steering! Think is, it felt fine when I drove it from my neighbours to my house yesterday! Summet to do with the cold? Any thoughts?