Weitec Coilovers Now Fitted - Drive Shaft Popped Out!! STEERING TROUBLE!!

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
Right, took half a day at work and came home to try and fix the steering. Took both front wheels off and couldn't see anything that would affect the steering. So I borrowed my neighbours laptop with VAG-COM on, plugged it in and did the auto search thing. It brought up 2 fault codes, one saying something about alternator voltage and the other I can't remember, anyway, I cleared the codes and it's started working again :confused:. So I went for spin round the block and all seemed fine. Lets just hope it doesn't randomly stop working again when I'm going round a corner :drive2:

Anyway, off to get my Toyo's fitted! :) No more nasty suprises hopefully!

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
i really dont no whats up wth your steering maybe you knocked something when fittin them.Dont forget you need your car trackin now its been lowered lucky for me we have a laser trackin machine at work.i gave it a few days then i tracked it up now the steerin wheel is spot on the rears cant be justed up theo not far out really.

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
Yeah I got my tracking done at a local garage using the old school tools n my wheels are pointing to the right now so going straight forward my steering wheel is to the left a bit. Think I'll get it done again somewhere with more sophisticated tracking tools lol. By the way, do tyres need breaking in? Just I managed to wheel spin last night in 2nd in the dry. Or perhaps they're overinflated a bit? I'll check it out soon as!

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Hard to say. Last year I had a track day the day they were fitted in Rockingham. That was a 150mile + journey and they were fine by the time I got there.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
How long you reckon? My old budget tyre's gripped better lol! They are literally brand new though.

It may sound like an odd concept, but if you buy brand new tires and slap them on your car, then try to drive the nuts off it, you're going to come a cropper. The reason, believe it or not, is that all tyres need a running-in (or scrubbing-in) period. When tyres are made, the inside of the tire mould is first lined with a non-stick coating. When the tires pop out, some of that releasing agent sticks to the tires themselves. What you get is a nice shiny new tire, with 'shiny' being the operative word. The releasing agent can take as much as 500 miles to scrub off. Now for the everyday Joe, this isn't really so much of an issue, but for people who are fast drivers, or think they're fast drivers, this can lead to a distressing loss-of-grip mid-corner and a visit to something large and solid.

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007

Ah that's bloody ages!! I don't go razzing round corners that fast (well, now I've got my Coilovers I might :p) but I do like to give it the occasional blast! Ah well, may have to go on a road trip somewhere soon!

wacko_jacko

May 15, 2008
Haywards Heath
DON'T GET DIFFERENT ARB LINKS unless they are the standard ones again lol.

Do u no of anywhere that sells just the rear shocks as i found out today both rears are leaking! grrrr

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.