205 Gti Vs Leon Fr Tdi

Billy_123

Jan 23, 2008
I have a 205 GTI 1.9 and have owned it for nearly 10 years. I am now seriously thinking of buying a new Leon FR TDI.

I think the Leon looks great and it’s not common. I want the TDI as I have a round trip commute of around 65 miles a day.

I have taken the Leon FR TDI out for a good test drive. However I never really pushed it to see how it handled in comparison to the 205.

Anyone have any views on this?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Hi mate,

Welcome aboard. Are you asking for views on pushing an FR TDi on a test drive or on what a Leon FR TDi will be like vs a 205 GTi?

Performance wise there probably wont be a massive amount in it, and handling wise, the Leon will no doubt be worse, but comfort, safety etc on the Leon will be light years ahead of the Pug.

The 205 GTi was an awesome car in its day, but compared with new cars, it is lagging a long ways behind.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
I'd say overall grip is probably more in the FR, and on the edge the FR would rule over the snap happy grip on the 205.

Having said that - i've not driven an GTI for at least 10 years now, so may have forgotten how good they were.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I have a 205 GTI 1.9 and have owned it for nearly 10 years. I am now seriously thinking of buying a new Leon FR TDI.

I think the Leon looks great and it’s not common. I want the TDI as I have a round trip commute of around 65 miles a day.

I have taken the Leon FR TDI out for a good test drive. However I never really pushed it to see how it handled in comparison to the 205.

Anyone have any views on this?

I think you're the best person to answer this question as many people like me haven't driven the 205 GTi for a number of years, get another test drive in the Leon unaccompanied and see what differences there are, but I'd imagine they are like chalk and cheese.

silverfox

Feb 19, 2004
far far away
Visit site
I drove a 205 GTi fairly recently and, in there day, they were brilliant little cars. My FR TDi is probably twice the size and weight of the pug but not far behind in terms of performance, possibly quicker at certain speeds due to the torquey nature of the engine.

As you will know from your test drive, the interiors are incomparable, whether you like the interior plastics or not. It's, generally, a nice comfy place to sit, not to mention climate control, cruise control, etc, etc.

I think the Leon FR TDi would make a practical, economical replacement for the old school hot-hatch 205. If you want the same sort of handling and (thirstier) performance then go for the Cupra

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I drove a 205 GTi fairly recently and, in there day, they were brilliant little cars. My FR TDi is probably twice the size and weight of the pug but not far behind in terms of performance, possibly quicker at certain speeds due to the torquey nature of the engine.

As you will know from your test drive, the interiors are incomparable, whether you like the interior plastics or not. It's, generally, a nice comfy place to sit, not to mention climate control, cruise control, etc, etc.

I think the Leon FR TDi would make a practical, economical replacement for the old school hot-hatch 205. If you want the same sort of handling and (thirstier) performance then go for the Cupra

I'd say if you want the same sort of handling and performance go for the Clio Sport 197. Not as quick as Cupra but the handling and performance delivery would be more similar, plus you have the safety aspect, mod cons and reliability of a new car (setting the scene here to come along with some french car jokes)

Billy_123

Jan 23, 2008

Really what I am looking for is a car that is economical to and from work.
Then when you want a blast down country lanes once in a while its great fun.

Last edited:

Billy_123

Jan 23, 2008
I'd say if you want the same sort of handling and performance go for the Clio Sport 197. Not as quick as Cupra but the handling and performance delivery would be more similar, plus you have the safety aspect, mod cons and reliability of a new car (setting the scene here to come along with some french car jokes)

Looked at the Clio 197 but it drinks too much fuel.
Leon looks better.

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

I would say its great fun, but its a different type to the 205

It holds the road well and has plenty of power

Irfan

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

205 is more skin of your pants type drive

the loen would be more comfortable easy drive but when you put your foot down it really goes

Irfan

MatthewB

Oct 14, 2007
The 205 is a more "seat of your pants" drive, it'll feel quicker than a Leon because of the lack of weight and modern sound proofing, and it'll bite you in the backside quicker if you don't respect it. Had one years ago and I regret getting rid of it. Would love to get another to restore, but it's time/money/lack of garage.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Bear in mind the 205 GTI was a Polo sized car and that the mk2 Leon weighs at least 50% more, has ESP and independant rear suspension mated up to an understeery VAG chassis and that's what Irfan means by them being different. The Ibiza Cupra would be a nearer comparason to the 205 albeit the Beezer has much harsher suspension. I remember my old 205 GTI, which I had back in 1991, was the only hot hatch I've ever had (and I've had my fair share) that didn't have to slow down for speed humps!

There's an article comparing the mk1 Golf GTI with the mk5 GTI in Performance Tuner magazine which makes interesting reading, not a direct comparason to what you're looking for but you'll get the drift.

How do 205 GTIs hold up today anyway, mine was 2 years old and rattled like a good 'un, I had to drive with my left elbow on the passenger seat when I was solo to stop the thing creaking and rattling!!! Damn good fun car though, but terrible fuel economy IIRC.

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester

Then your choice is spot on. I commute about in my FR TDI, happily pottering around. Any time I get a moment, I will run her to the red line down a local set of country lanes. It actually does a great job doing that :D

Billy_123

Jan 23, 2008
How do 205 GTIs hold up today anyway, mine was 2 years old and rattled like a good 'un, I had to drive with my left elbow on the passenger seat when I was solo to stop the thing creaking and rattling!!! Damn good fun car though, but terrible fuel economy IIRC.

The Pug is great thanks. Just don’t like putting over 350 miles a week on an old car. It drinks fuel like there’s no tomorrow. I have the limited edition laser green with full leather. You are correct that it rattles a fair bit. Think a lot of this is because the ride is so so so hard. The Leon FR seemed so quite and smooth in comparison. :D

The 205 is a more "seat of your pants" drive, it'll feel quicker than a Leon because of the lack of weight and modern sound proofing, and it'll bite you in the backside quicker if you don't respect it. Had one years ago and I regret getting rid of it. Would love to get another to restore, but it's time/money/lack of garage.

As you say the worse thing with the car is the back end loses grip before the front and you can find yourself coming out of corners backwards. I am sure this is how so many off these have been written off. Hopefully with all the safety equipment on the Leon nowadays such a thing doesn’t happen easily.

From all the responses I have had so far I reckon FR TDI is still the best for me. :D

Thanks

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

Billy dont forget to get a quote from me

think you will be supprised how much you can save :D

Irfan

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
I had a 205 GTI 1.6 many years ago and I still say to this day that it's the best - certainly most fun - car I've ever driven. I absolutely adored it and so regrette getting rid although it was starting to cost me a fortune. I've had several different cars since, and although it's obviously a completely different league, I'd say my current TDI Sport is the car that's been the most fun to drive since the Pug...

MatthewB

Oct 14, 2007
As you say the worse thing with the car is the back end loses grip before the front and you can find yourself coming out of corners backwards. I am sure this is how so many off these have been written off.

You make lift off oversteer sound like a bad thing! :D It inspired so much confidence going into bends that a few people went in hot and lost their nerve half way.

An old Peugeot mechanic once told me - "don't worry about the rattles, it's supposed to sound like that, if it stops rattling then something's broke" :D

Billy_123

Jan 23, 2008
Billy dont forget to get a quote from me

think you will be supprised how much you can save :D

Irfan

Cool Thanks.

Will try and give you a ring tomorrow. Guess your available normal working hours?

Btw before I do buy do you know of any changes to the car coming up in the near future? I am only asking as on the seat.com website there is a FR edition as well as the normal FR.

Thanks

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

Cool Thanks.

Will try and give you a ring tomorrow. Guess your available normal working hours?

Btw before I do buy do you know of any changes to the car coming up in the near future? I am only asking as on the seat.com website there is a FR edition as well as the normal FR.

Thanks

Billy

i will be in from 9am to 7pm

And at the moment there are no plans for any changes

Irfan