205 Gti Vs Leon Fr Tdi

craigomills

Candy White FR TDI 170
Mar 31, 2005
Derby
I have had a 205 1.9 Gti and loved it to bits ( until it got nicked !!!) I then moved to a brand new 106 GTi when they first came out, and although i own an FR TDi now the 106t would batter an FR TDI through the twisties, what an awesome handling car the 106 was! I miss it big style.!

Billy_123

Jan 23, 2008
Car ordered :)

Thanks Irfan for the great price and the friendly service.

Btw Its refreshing talking to a car salesman thats not pushy.

I cant wait to pick it up :)

See you soon

Billy_123

Jan 23, 2008
I am going to keep the pug in the garage and give it a little tlc as she deserves it.

Bezza1969

I own a 205 gti too

Maybe I can provide some objective opinion, im a newbie too and own an a3 tdi 130 boosted by a cheapie celox box (£27 off ebay!) and a 205 gti 1.9. Ive performance tested both (my a3 compares with a 150 old shape leon tdi) and I reckon the 205 will only win against an FR tdi off the line and maybe in 2nd gear. the 205 was hot in its day but unless yours is a minter, they're getting on now and i reckon the FR will eat the 205 from 0-100, 30-70 through the gears, 50-70 and so on. The Leon will also have more grip, remember the old pug is only on 15 inchers. What the leon wont do is change direction as well, feel like a go cart or give such an adrenalin hit every time you drive it. But then ive driven modern clio 182's etc and they're not as much fun either. The 205 is unique and the Leon is a totally different animal. I want one of those too, but not to replace the 205! Not sure if this helps or confuses! Keep the pug as a classic and buy the FR as a daily driver!

xxNickyxx

Mar 22, 2008
Nairn, near Inverness
I've just sold my 205 GTI and am looking for a Leon Cupra. Personally, no car will beat a 205 as far as the stupid grin you get on your face on back roads!!! The only reason that I sold it was that I was running two cars, and never drove the 205. To be perfectly honest, a Leon and a 205 arent in the same league (just my opinion tho!!), but if you can keep it as a second car, that would be ideal!!

warren_cox

Back from the dead
205's are great (as long as you don't crash in them).

I had a go in one a couple of years ago (a 1.6, not the 1.9), and I was amazed that it didn't feel very fast by comparison to what I remembered. It also felt like it had been built in someone's shed by today's standards!!! That aside it was really fun to drive, and you felt part of the experience. New cars are soulless by comparison.

Billy_123

Jan 23, 2008
Thanks everyone for your comments. :)

I have now had the Leon for around 5 weeks and done just over 2.5k.

I love my new car and as others said it’s a completely different drive.

I guess it’s more of a grown ups car, where the Pug is more of a go kart. The Leon is better at overtaking and more comfortable. The pug is far better off the line and around country lanes. So far I always take the Leon unless I want to play where I take the pug. The seats in the Leon are good and hold you well but I prefer the look and feel of the full leather seats in the Pug. It’s nice having all the safety equipment though, the Pug doesn’t even have abs. This was one of my main concerns with the Pug, if I crash it I am not going to come off well.

tich555

Apr 18, 2008
derbyshire
I have a 1.9 205 gti 1991 and have just ordered a new FR170 tdi Leon, there is no comparison, the 205 is outdated, not as comfortable, slower but is still a classic! That is why I have decided to keep the 205 as well and is now insured with Footman James as a classic car on restricted mileage and agreed valuation policy, so you see I can now enjoy both cars.

Bezza1969

I test drove a Leon Fr TDi the other day and can now give proper figs. 30-70 was only 6 secs or so on the speedo in 3rd gear. The GTI never beat 8.1 seconds using 2nd and 3rd. Having said that the GTI can still surprise the odd newer car if you hang onto 2nd and 3rd, but it is 18 years old now and some of the horses have escaped! Both are great cars. The Leon is definitely one of the first and best diesel hot hatches.