LC Running Rich - Not Any Longer

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
I had a same issue due high to timming pull, i had normal fuel in it, then after a while of v-power the timming have come down to around 3, where as before i use to get 8.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
what fuel was the map for? what fuel was in the car?

high timing pull won't make it run rich though

0.828 * 14.7 gives bang on numbers for "Safe best power"

so I don't get it?

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
question by MORK

way too much timing pull

how are the plugs? recently replaced?

As per the service schedules. Car seems to drive ok though. Just out of interest i have heard it said that timing correction of upto 3 is acceptable, what does it go up to ?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
As per the service schedules. Car seems to drive ok though. Just out of interest i have heard it said that timing correction of upto 3 is acceptable, what does it go up to ?

CR is 9.8..........

when were your plugs last changed?

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Not sure when the plugs actually changed, you think worth a look? Since the correction is worse on cyl 3 you think it could be the worst plug?

What would i be looking for with the plugs?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Not sure when the plugs actually changed, you think worth a look? Since the correction is worse on cyl 3 you think it could be the worst plug?

What would i be looking for with the plugs?

Might as well change em, you may want to get some cooler version, i had the denso irdium and they burnt out plus the 3rd coil pack went with it. now ive got the bosch platinum and they do the job well.

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
thats next on the list then. Can any one tell from the logs if my lambda after the cat is working properly? I believe the front one is as it was replaced once.

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Seriously Happy Now but its been a long road

Well after all of the above problems, i got around to taking the car back to Seat Bristol as everyone seemed to be telling me that it was the MAF.

After running tests it was decided that Seat would require the car returned to stock in order to investigate the fault code problems. Initially they were happy to do this but after speaking to Will at Performance Torque were not afraid to admit that they were out of their league and as such were not confident in flashing the ecu back to stock.

At this point i must say a big thank you to all at Bristol Seat, who were supportive throughout and most importantly did not charge for the diagnosis even though it was inconclusive.

But a much bigger thanks must go to Will at Performance Torque, who suggested that it could all be down to the massive reduction in back pressure caused by the new down-pipe and sports cat.
Basically it appears that the turbo was spinning up much faster than the ecu was planning for so it was having to dump extra fuel in to compensate and the problems spiraled from there.

A custom map was all it took solve the problem and bring the timing pull back to 1.5. Will was also able to slightly dial out the low rev boost in the lower gears so the car no longer wants to rip my head off just for blowing on the accelerator.

I now have a car which seems much more progressive. I know we all love the turbo surge, but mine was quite extreme (3rd gear was hard work in the wet!!) and made it difficult to drive smoothly.

I will give it a while and report further once i have gotten used to how the car is driving with its new map.
The main thing is that with the timing and fueling sorted, the car will now pass an emissions test.

Thanks to every one who offered their advice on this matter.

Matt

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Matt

Really pleased that you have finally got it sorted. I was totally stumped with your symptoms to be honest.

It was refreshing to read that Will at P-Torque was happy to spend some time on this problem as I have heard so much about people who wash there hands once the nice exciting £400 software is loaded!!

Brilliant news mate...

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Good to hear, sorted mines as well, due to excess back pressure, now the low end torque is back, followed by a new TIP, made it far better on top end.

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
Thanks for the kind words Matt.

Matt was running well until fitting his new full exhaust system, and in my opinion its crucial to have a custom map to suit when changing the back pressure off your turbo.

Reducing back pressure effects many different factors, especially when running a map suited to a stock set up.

Anyway, pleased you are sorted :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.