anyone with a Tomtom in a mk4?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Not looking to hard wire, but just wondering where to best place to have the charger wire running from the unit down to the ciggy lighter...got one for the wifes car and she says the wire gets infront of / in the way of everything..

TIA .:)

Bubsy

Feb 16, 2007
I drilled a small hole in te back of thetray behind the ashtray. Then run the cable from underneat the passenger side, through the hole and there you go. Hole only needs to be large enough for the TomTom end of the cable

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yep, i have it in the middle of the screen and wrap the rest of the excess wire around the suction pad. Hope that helps

In the middle of the screen, not you as well, I see loads of people with them like that, how the hell do you see properly :ban:

in the corner is better I would have thought :shrug:

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
i put mine in the corner and wired a secound cigar lighter sockeket under the dash for it to plug my garmin into, done the job a treat!!

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
In the middle of the screen, not you as well, I see loads of people with them like that, how the hell do you see properly :ban:

Whenever I've borrowed a friend's Navman, I've had it just above the dash in the middle of the screen. I found it easy enough to see the road from there. It's bad enough trying to see out of the corner with those thick A pillars. :p

John-Cupra_TDI

Aug 27, 2007
Near Glasgow
I bought a universal vent mount off ebay for my Tom tom one. It sits on the right vent in the middle of the dash where its is easy to see/use and doesnt get in the way. Not got any pics, but can take some if anybody wants to see how it looks.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I put mines on the window at the side, in the same position the tax disc sits in the other side... I then run the cable round - kink it a tad so it catches onto the catch to adjust the steering wheel height then into the cig lighter.

The wires are all tight this way, and the catch to adjust the steering is solid so that doesen't budge and the sat nav doesen't block my view. :)

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Mines in the corner on the drivers side. Cable goes from the lighter, over the back of the steering wheel, then down to the where the fuses are by the drivers door, sandwich it inbetween the panels, and run it up the side of the dash (with the door open). It comes out the top by the Satnav, all nice and tight. Looks almost perfect. Takes 10 seconds to do, once you've done it a few times.

MichalR

Sep 2, 2006
Bromley, London

Lol if i didnt have the Tom tom there all i would be able to see is the bonnet so its not as if its blocking any road and its right in my line of vision :D

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I think thats the better idea mate, it won't obstruct view and doesen't look as obvious should a crook wish to steal one.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Whats bollocks about it?

I think it's a little more obvious to see a sat nav smack bang in the middle of a windscreen, rather than sitting a little more discreet at one of the corners?

Aimez

I ALWAYS take the cradle out as well, I work in a airport car parks and we have had people that nick them out of brand new mercedes and other cars, they do hundrereds from all the airport car parks at a time. Just got a letter from the police sayong the guy has gone to prison for 15 months after he got caught!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.