LCR Tyres... Falken FK-452...

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
i have run 452's on my ibiza.... and they are not that good. Not remotely as grippy wet or dry to bridgestone s03's

cheap as chips, but you do seem to get what you pay for.

245-35-17 452's being physically 10mm narrower than my 235-40-17 SO3's too.. :think: :confused:

Compared to Eagle F1 or Toyo though Bill, not sure how much those Bridgestones cost ... could this also be weight related? I'm guessing the Ibiza is a fair bit lighter than say, my Leon Tdi?

From what i've found on normal road surfaces and doing a mix of driving ... they certainly don't seem any worse than either of the other two tyres i've had and they're almost 30 quid cheaper.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
i have run 452's on my ibiza.... and they are not that good. Not remotely as grippy wet or dry to bridgestone s03's

cheap as chips, but you do seem to get what you pay for.

245-35-17 452's being physically 10mm narrower than my 235-40-17 SO3's too.. :think: :confused:

Yes but they are twice the price per tyre and we're not all running mental 500bhp 1 tonne racing cars on track only. :blink:

coopra R

Feb 6, 2005
Glasgow
s195.photobucket.com
Got Falkens fitted all round yesterday :)

Despite being new and needing a few miles road use.... I immediately noticed that they are very grippy...no traction light 2nd & 3RD despite a bit of welly !

Tried a few high speed bends-no sliding-seem to compliment my set up nicely!

Can't wait till they warm up..WOOHOO ! :drive2: :redface:

BTW....they look good too ! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reviews guys...helped make my mind up on these..:worship:

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
Got to admit robdon helped me make my mind up as i was thinking of getting these al along but didn't want my tightness to sway me too much, so was going to comprimise and get the dunlops till rob comfirmed that the falkens were equally as good

:worship::seatgod::cheers:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Compared to Eagle F1 or Toyo though Bill, not sure how much those Bridgestones cost ... could this also be weight related? I'm guessing the Ibiza is a fair bit lighter than say, my Leon Tdi?

From what i've found on normal road surfaces and doing a mix of driving ... they certainly don't seem any worse than either of the other two tyres i've had and they're almost 30 quid cheaper.

compared to both Toyo T1S and Eagle F1's, FK452's not as good.
S03's work well but now sadly obsolete :(

tried a 'lot' of tyres on my ibiza trying to find a setup which gripped well enough as was durable enough.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Yes but they are twice the price per tyre and we're not all running mental 500bhp 1 tonne racing cars on track only. :blink:

and what better test of a tyre than one which has to be list 1a, road legal, and cope with the most extreme conditions... fk452's only +ve point is their price.

track use is both wet and dry use, and wet grip is shocking. F1's totally different league in that respect without question.

;)
:p

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
compared to both Toyo T1S and Eagle F1's, FK452's not as good.
S03's work well but now sadly obsolete :(

tried a 'lot' of tyres on my ibiza trying to find a setup which gripped well enough as was durable enough.

Maybe it's something to do with the weight of the car and the surfaces they use on the track being a lot 'finer' than the crap you find on most public roads? Or maybe you're actually pushing the tyres to their proper limits because of the way the car is set up and the fact you're skilled enough to use them to their limits - it might just be that?

Admittedly i'm no race driver, that said i'm hardly light footed either on brakes or accelerator and these 'feel' as good as either of the two prior makes .... time will tell i guess.

The remains of the last set of Toyos i'm running on the front have definitely worn past their best and will be getting replaced with the Falkens.

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
I have to agree not all tyres suit all cars

It has now i would say been pretty much proven the faulkens are great on a Leon,
but as you say are maybe not as good on the Ibiza
It is as always a matter of trial and error.
And personal preference

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Driving tyres hard on a race track gives very little indication how they'll behave on a public road, not a relative test at all.

Having driven down my favourite roads in a 'spirited' fashion on the Dunlop Maxx, a few days later I went again on the Falkens, similar conditions and was very surprised at how good they were, same grip levels as the Dunlops and if anything the sidewalls on the Falkens are stiffer. Dunlops are £95 each - Falkens £65 each! Lots of EVO boys are very happy with the Falkens too.

Dangerous Dave

Dec 11, 2006
Guy at work has just put a set of Falken 452s on his car, I'm ordering a set of the new F1s for mine tommorrow (Early reports are the new F1s are a good step ahead of the GS3Ds especially in the wet). I will report back the difference after driving both down a favorite road after the tyres have had 500miles to scrub in.

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
I had two falkens fitted to my LCR this morning. I must say that I'm very impressed so far. They make the car feel a lot more planted than the old Rosso's...Not sure how they compare to Toyo's, F1's and Pilot Sports though as I haven't had the chance to give them a whirl...

Oddly enough the tyre fitter said they were the hardest tyres he's ever had to fit (due to the width). Bill, didnt you say something about them being slightly smaller??

Last edited:

Cupraloon

I quick update on the FK452's went out in the torential rain this morning, with bated breath, and the Falkens did not dissapoint, the car felt like a totally different car to the tyres that were on it, very composed and sure footed, on very wet and greasy roads.

I even tried to promote a front end slide on one perticular sharpe bend by giving it a big bootfull in 2nd which used to have the other tyres sliding and scrabbling for grip, on even moderate throttle openings, and the Falkens held on tightly...

I'm not a person thats easy to impress, but I'm very, very impressed with these Falken FK452's and will deffo be fitting them again when these ones wear out, and for what they've cost an absolute bargain...

Excellent :cloud9:

the_prophet

Jul 28, 2006
two bein fitted to mine tommorrow morning, already got a set on the front which have worn out. got gsd3's on the back. Would have preffered goodyears all round but i just can't turn these down at this price when they realistically offer the same performance for most of us, at a much better price. £80 fitted.

Al_G

Jan 12, 2006
Manchester
two bein fitted to mine tommorrow morning, already got a set on the front which have worn out. got gsd3's on the back. Would have preffered goodyears all round but i just can't turn these down at this price when they realistically offer the same performance for most of us, at a much better price. £80 fitted.

How many miles did you get out of the last set mate? All the tyre fitters I've spoken to have said they are good but a very soft compound, hence why they are so cheap...Wonder how true this is...

the_prophet

Jul 28, 2006
well my falkens were brand new when i bought mine in dec'06 and there only getting replaced now because the tracking was out. car had 26k on when i bought it now on 35k so thats 9k and i reckon would have got about another 2 or 3k out of them had it not been for the tracking killing the inside edges. not too bad considering the price and the 3.5k unc fester got out of his toyo's.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.