Split R vs 007

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
im afraid your abit mistaken matey

the 007p has no diaphragm either, its a single piston valve like the hyper boost valve...but over time (many 1000s of miles) the seals go and it will begin to wear/cease up and stop opening correctly. exactly the same happens to the baileys one as well

this is why the 007p is serviceable, you can fit a new seal and regrease the piston so its as good as new

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
tried the split-R last night on MrsB Lupo cos I was curious..
cars chipped (CC) so runs higher boost liek most. K03s. RamAir inducted.

I adjusted the split-R so it would open to the atmos port on fully open. Was expecting it to not woosh at all, as the port is so small and the main venting is back to recirc via a much bigger hole, but bugger me it wooshed.. More of a Tshhhhh kinda noise than a Woooosh kinda noise, but it deffo worked as a noise(ier) DV over the 007P which it ran before.

Drove it on/off boost to provoke the Tshhhhh noise, and most noise was just on and off the throttle, not revving motor high between gear changes. Goign thru town it did wind some peeps neck around to look for the "boy" and his "wooshy turbo car" - Thankfully MrsB lupo has tints so I was incognito :p

The reason I had this one to hand was a guy brought his ibiza round for me to check it out as it was'nt loud enough, or as loud as expected. he had sourced it elsewhere. (his previous car being a twin turbo HKS equipped monstor, so I suspect nothing much would get close to sounding like one of those)

My static vacuum pump testing barely lifted the piston up before it leaked by and dropped down again. I honestly did'nt think it was going to work, so I had to try it on MrsB Lupo to convince myself. It does work.
thinkng maybe the settings of it may have been different to what I set on the lupo...

It deffo is noisier than an 007P on a RamAir car, Tshhhhhh Tshhhhhhh Tshhhhhh when you want it. Personally I got bored of the noise after 10mins, and MrsB was'nt impressed so 007P is back on again with its more subtle boosting/venting noises.

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
if the split-r could be wound down to prevent atmo occurring, why would it come with a blanking plug to replace the trumpet?

the only reason i could find for the ratchet type adjuster is to increase load for higher boosting cars?

im not questioning your knowledge bill as you know more about these engines and how they work than most of us put together but im just trying to work out the logical side to the valves behavour......

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I can just see Bill rooding it up down the Gloucester main road.

Whooshy cars really get on your tits really quickly.... just pootling around brrapp tish braaap tish when all you want is to 'get' there

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
if the split-r could be wound down to prevent atmo occurring, why would it come with a blanking plug to replace the trumpet?

the only reason i could find for the ratchet type adjuster is to increase load for higher boosting cars?

im not questioning your knowledge bill as you know more about these engines and how they work than most of us put together but im just trying to work out the logical side to the valves behavour......

I was curious to the split-r as its not something i choose to sell, but a local guy wanted me to check his out that he got elsewhere, and it did'nt work as I was expected so removed it for an 007P whilst I got to the bottom of it. the top adjuster, be by design or by accident (forge can answer this) can be adjusted to top the piston rising high enough to open the atmos port, so it can be adjusted to prevent the atmos vent. Yep there's also a supplied blank to properly seal that port off.
Unlike other forge valves the brass piston relies on its fit to the ally body to create a "leaky" seal, so vacuum levels can lift it at all. Unlike other valves where you can push the piston up, block off the vacuum pipe, and its stays held up by vacuum, the split-r will drop back again, as its piston is a "leaky seal" design. no o-rings, no grease.

The criticality of the valve vs leaking under boost is going to be like running an007p backwards, as boost pressure acts direct on the piston, trying to open it. Hence adjustment to stiffen the preload to ensure seal. wind the pre-load adjuster all the way down however, and it wont open the atmos port up.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I can just see Bill rooding it up down the Gloucester main road.

Whooshy cars really get on your tits really quickly.... just pootling around brrapp tish braaap tish when all you want is to 'get' there

hell yea.
wondering what my new HUGE forge DV will sound like as its ports are massive compared to 007's

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Is it a BadgerBill Forge Special??

Good write up Bill, especially liked the bit about the tinted windows!

All you 007 boys, and Split-R lads, i'm old the good old 006!

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
I was curious to the split-r as its not something i choose to sell, but a local guy wanted me to check his out that he got elsewhere, and it did'nt work as I was expected so removed it for an 007P whilst I got to the bottom of it. the top adjuster, be by design or by accident (forge can answer this) can be adjusted to top the piston rising high enough to open the atmos port, so it can be adjusted to prevent the atmos vent. Yep there's also a supplied blank to properly seal that port off.
Unlike other forge valves the brass piston relies on its fit to the ally body to create a "leaky" seal, so vacuum levels can lift it at all. Unlike other valves where you can push the piston up, block off the vacuum pipe, and its stays held up by vacuum, the split-r will drop back again, as its piston is a "leaky seal" design. no o-rings, no grease.

The criticality of the valve vs leaking under boost is going to be like running an007p backwards, as boost pressure acts direct on the piston, trying to open it. Hence adjustment to stiffen the preload to ensure seal. wind the pre-load adjuster all the way down however, and it wont open the atmos port up.

thats fair enough then bill....just wanted to know.

so do you think that the split-r will be unreliable?

Deleted member 12147

I asked this on another thread but was wondering if anyone has tried a Split-R with a CAI? I am thinking of buying both of these. At the moment i have a 007p and a Jabba induction kit and i get a nice subtle whoosh sound (standard boost) I was wondering would a Split-R and a CAI sound better (louder) than a 007p and a CAI?

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Yes, the CAI will have nothing to do with it though as the venting will come from the split r, and not the recirculating sound which is heard from the airfilter., as thats the opening point.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
thats fair enough then bill....just wanted to know.

so do you think that the split-r will be unreliable?

I dont see why it would, maybe a little setup to do to dial it into your car perhaps.
long term wear and tear on brass piston to ally housing and its sealing abilities, remains to be seen over time.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I asked this on another thread but was wondering if anyone has tried a Split-R with a CAI? I am thinking of buying both of these. At the moment i have a 007p and a Jabba induction kit and i get a nice subtle whoosh sound (standard boost) I was wondering would a Split-R and a CAI sound better (louder) than a 007p and a CAI?

given its a dual port DV, it does make the usual CAI noises as it both venting to recirc so CAI will amplify this noise, and then venting to atmos for the Tshhhhh noise.

Thats what it did on MrsB 1.8t lupo I tried it on.. Runs a RamAir CAI (which is one of the loudest CAI's about) - The Tshhhhh atmos was louder than the 007P , on the same RamAir induction. Cars chipped so has lots of boost to dump.

tomodono

there is some clever people on here who obviously know there stuff, but at the minute im getting a 50-50 weather or not to fit a BOV, so i would like to know can it be done, yes or no?

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
don't fit a 100% atmospheric bov. the engine is not designed for it and eventually you will have issues. it could take 2 seconds or 2 months but when it does happen you'll get no sympathy from us.

if you insist on a bov, then get the Forge split R valve

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise