Tomtom

RobLeon20V

Oct 5, 2004
Cornwall
I know a few people on here use tomtom and ipaq.
Anyone upgraded from navigator 2 to navigator 3?
I've found that navigator 3 is total crap to be honest, i constantly have to soft reset and navigator 2 used to run perfectly, also that free speed camera software wont work properly with nav 3! Gutted!

Anyone use any different navigator software id be tempted to try summit new...
Rob

jonny2scrans

you could try Mapsonic software?

i use it on a palm tungsten t3 and its been very reliable so far

just try a search for it on ze web or have a look on ebay :thumbup:

RobLeon20V

Oct 5, 2004
Cornwall
no, dont have the latest version, i used 3 once went back to 2 - i needed a new product code because i had the main board replaced and now tomtom said we cant give you a key for tomtom2 because you upgraded to 3.
Just installed 3 and im p1ssed off - will get that update nice one mate forgot about that

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Brought TT2, crashed occasionally on my ipaq H2210.
Heard reports of TT3 having "issues" but with the upgrade so cheap I upgraded. Find it a much better product. Only gripes, the map locations are sometimes "wrong" when planning routes - Winwick, Warrington comes up as Winwick, Northampton. But it directs you to correct place.

I swear by TT3 - best purchase ever made... after the Leon :)

Goot :)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
TT Go is a nice box of tricks..

Mine will lockup if you dont exuit application before switching Ipaq off. 3.04 was supposed to fix this.. but it does'nt ..DUH!

would get the Tomtom Go now if doing it again. My Ipaq's so slow its frustrating..

Robby

Oct 7, 2002
I'm thinking about this, but after buying a Road Angel, can't really justify the extra cost at the mo. Shoud have just got the TomTom... :(

Mark_2_go

Westmids2005
Feb 18, 2003
West Mids
Visit site
RobLeon20V said:
I know a few people on here use tomtom and ipaq.
Anyone upgraded from navigator 2 to navigator 3?
I've found that navigator 3 is total crap to be honest, i constantly have to soft reset and navigator 2 used to run perfectly, also that free speed camera software wont work properly with nav 3! Gutted!

Anyone use any different navigator software id be tempted to try summit new...
Rob

If you upgrade to the latest version then TT3 is great and has more coverage on maps and functionality is much better.

The only thing I found was that TT3 does not read TT2 maps so you will have to get new maps.

TT2 sucks in comparison!!! :hide:

Mark :cheers:

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
Where have you fitted yours?

Sorry to drag this ole thread up but I've just bought a TomTomGo 510 and wondering where in the car folk have fitted theirs?

It comes with a windshield dock but that only allows it to be stuck to the windscreen -won't that be blocking if I stick it on front windscreen or which glass have you attached it to? I'd like it on top of dash if poss. but on a Leon thats curved. Any pics of TomToms or any other sat navs and where you've put them??

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2006
iirc my TomTom came with a metal disc that you could stick to your dashboard and then stick the window cradle to it.

tbh I stick mine as low as possible in the middle of the windscreen (over the middle vents) and it's not in the way. You can get clips that let you mount them on the vents or to the actual dash. Brodit (http://www.brodit.com) are normally very good clips.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
I've got Tomtom Navigator 5.0 on a HP rz1710 IPAQ, its pretty darn good. I've had to reset it a couple of times, but no big deal. I just needed something quick after the crappy Michelin software I was using directed my onto something not much more than a farm track, so having a tantrum in the car I launched the memory card in to the field.

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Sorry to drag this ole thread up but I've just bought a TomTomGo 510 and wondering where in the car folk have fitted theirs?

It comes with a windshield dock but that only allows it to be stuck to the windscreen -won't that be blocking if I stick it on front windscreen or which glass have you attached it to? I'd like it on top of dash if poss. but on a Leon thats curved. Any pics of TomToms or any other sat navs and where you've put them??

I don't know how flat the bottom of the 510 is but I have a 300 which I put on the dash by the A-pillar. The charger is connected to a 12volt socket behind the dash and runs up the side to the bottom of the A-pillar.

Tomtom is then fastened to the dash with velcro pads. Dosen't move at all when driving and once removed leaves only two small velcro pads visible (which get covered up with a stuffed Bagpuss) so no sucker mark or bracket for the Chavs to spot.

Doesn't bloke the windscreen either.
TomTom.jpg

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
iirc my TomTom came with a metal disc that you could stick to your dashboard and then stick the window cradle to it.

tbh I stick mine as low as possible in the middle of the windscreen (over the middle vents) and it's not in the way. You can get clips that let you mount them on the vents or to the actual dash. Brodit (http://www.brodit.com) are normally very good clips.

Doesn't appear that theres a metal disc included with my 510. May look into some clips though those brodit are they Uk based..? maybe Halfords do something similar?
Atm having problems charging the TT the mains charger cable that came with it is so loose it falls off?! This can't be right.
Thanks for your help.

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
I don't know how flat the bottom of the 510 is but I have a 300 which I put on the dash by the A-pillar. The charger is connected to a 12volt socket behind the dash and runs up the side to the bottom of the A-pillar.

Tomtom is then fastened to the dash with velcro pads. Dosen't move at all when driving and once removed leaves only two small velcro pads visible (which get covered up with a stuffed Bagpuss) so no sucker mark or bracket for the Chavs to spot.

Doesn't bloke the windscreen either.
TomTom.jpg

Thanks for the photo -that looks neat. The 510 base is not exactly flat its tilted sits up at you slanted. Will have a play. ATM can't get the software activated and the PC won't talk to the TT and the power cable with home charger si so loose it falls off! Once I sort that out will find somewhere to mount the thing! Cheers.

Nov 28, 2006
Doesn't appear that theres a metal disc included with my 510. May look into some clips though those brodit are they Uk based..? maybe Halfords do something similar?
Atm having problems charging the TT the mains charger cable that came with it is so loose it falls off?! This can't be right.
Thanks for your help.

Mine's the 700 which is the old model so maybe they stopped supplying the disc. I don't think Brodit are UK based but I'm sure there is a UK supplier.

With the 700 you can plug the power cable into the back of the Tom Tom itself or into the back of the cradle. I always found the cradle connection to be a better fit.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members