HELP Gearbox Troubles!

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Right here we go on the way home tonight i lost the ability to select both 2nd and 4th gear on my 2.0LItre ABF Cordoba, it just wont engage the gears and kicks them out.

I am thinking this is pretty terminal and is going to need a rebuild. Does anyone want to make my night by telling me it could be something small?

Cheers

PiRoMaNiA

Right here we go on the way home tonight i lost the ability to select both 2nd and 4th gear on my 2.0LItre ABF Cordoba, it just wont engage the gears and kicks them out.

I am thinking this is pretty terminal and is going to need a rebuild. Does anyone want to make my night by telling me it could be something small?

Cheers

Ill see u in 5 mins with a hammer and a spade.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
lol Cheers for the offer of 'assistance' dude

UPDATE

Taken a look under the bonnet and there is a great big piece of metal flapping around above the gearbox that wasnt there before, I am guessing this is why 2nd and 4th have gone, can anyone tell me what this is?

I'll get pics in the morning

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Unless the selector is fooked (get a pic up) id bet on the syncro ring being on its way out, for what its worth, my old 16v did 3 or 4 trackdays, a few rolling road days and 45k and went through three gearboxes by the time i traded it in.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Got the pics, I am thinking that this snapped piece of metal maybe the gear linkage. Heres the pics.............

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

Sorry the pics arent too clear, but you should be able to see whats gone. Any ideas on the cost of a replacement part?

Cheers

murray1302

This appears to be a problem with 02A cable change boxes - in particular ones from the SEAT factory. I've had two VW Caddy TDI's and one broke this lever on three occasions and the other once. Became so regular I even carried one in the van for roadside repairs!

murray1302

As the lever is inexpensive I'd suggest carrying a spare. They seem to crack/break very easily. A note of caution to others - there are several versions of these levers, and they do not interchange.

There is a positive side to all this: when replacing this part you can make sure your cables are correctly adjusted & aligned, and this will improve the gearchange

Murielson

Cheers

On recollection was there any indication that you may have been about to have a gear change problem before this fault showed itself?

I test drove a Cordoba Estate that I am thinking of buying last night and the 'gate' seemed quite loose and I am wondering if replacing the part you are referring to might fix this problem. Just feels like the gear selection could be a bit more certain.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
On recollection was there any indication that you may have been about to have a gear change problem before this fault showed itself?

I test drove a Cordoba Estate that I am thinking of buying last night and the 'gate' seemed quite loose and I am wondering if replacing the part you are referring to might fix this problem. Just feels like the gear selection could be a bit more certain.

What engine was in the estate,?as i am sure that the 1.4 and 1.6 engines are rod change and not cable change like mine. I have had two Ibiza's with rod change boxes and the gate did feel loose compared to the cable change on my cordoba. I am not sure about the diesel engines so hopefully someone else could post as to the mechanism they use.

As for the signs that it was on its way out i used to miss the change in to second and fourth and initially thought it was me being lazy when i was changing gear. Now engages much smoother.

Murielson

To be exact:

1999(T) SEAT CORDOBA, 141k miles, Manual Diesel Corboba Vario (Est), 1.9TDI.

murray1302

A Tdi will have a cable change. Open the bonnet & check for cracks / broken spot welds on the lever. If it's beginning to break do a deal at a much reduced price & then spend a tenner on a new lever!! :whistle:

Murielson

Had a look at my gear change set up and looks exactly like CKs pic, except not broken. Can I assume that this is a 02A set up?

Haynes gives me a selection of 3 alternatives that it could be but nort a very good description of where to find the engraved markings to confirm.

I also note that there is a procedure for adjusting the gear change linkage for 020 and 085 options that invloves the use of an adjustment collar and setting a clearance to 1.0 +/- 0.5mm.

For the 02A option 'to accurately adjust the operation of the gear selector and shift cables, precisely machined jigs are required to set the gear change lever in a refernce position. It is recommended that this operation is entrusted to a Seat dealer.

As my problem appears to just be a little extra play in the gear lever I need to know how to proceed and which option I have. Many thanks for any info in advance.

Just using this same thread as appears to be about the same topic so hope this makes sense to all.

murray1302

You have an 02A gearbox. All TDi's have this type of gearbox.

There is some adjustment possible at the gearbox (in the area of the lever that breaks). Wear can occur at the gear lever, and the cables have been known to stretch (quite how this can happen baffles me though!).

Murielson

Thanks Murray.

The Haynes manual indicates no adjustment without special jigs etc so do you have any advice for the keen amateur besides take it to Seat?

Must stress I do not have any major problems just slack in the gear stick and possible missing gears if not enough attention paid. Would like it sorted after just getting hold of the car so I can monitor if any new issues occurring or existing problems getting worse.

ferjoc0

Hi There,

Im new to this forum but my Fiancee has a 1999 1.6 litre Seat in Australia, and we're having troubles and i wondered whether someone with your sort of experience with Cordoba's might be able to assist me with some advice??

In a nutshell, it has just done 50k. In the last three months we have replaced two window regs, (A$500 each), dissi leads (A$600) and just today an alternator (A$600!!!!).

I'm keen to know if these cars typically require serious work (gear box or engines etc) anywhere between say 50k and 70k - 80???? Are they famous for any mileage points where major problemns are renowned for needing attention?

I'm just trying to work out how much more money we should spend on it before we give up?
I've also not had any luck finding a supplier of parts over the Internet like i have for Landrover - saving me many hundreds of dollars.

Any advice you have about the likely longevity of this car (very mild driver) would be very mcuh appreciated.

If this message has not found the correct person, or is not appropriate for this forum, please forgive me.

Thanks in advance!
Jock Ferguson