APR or Bells Auto???

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
AAAAAARRRGHHHHH!!! im just getting to the stage where ican't be bothered now... but the apr guy seems to reckon it will work...

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
determining where the power is to come in has more to do with the physical constraints of the hardware rather than the mapping

ie - you can't ask a k03x to produce maximum boost (and therefore torque) at 5000rpm - so most of the choices are already made for you...

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
The MAF does the readings and then the lambda does the fuelling to match , so in effect a filter , cai or induction kit would not need remapping as there is sensors to do that job for you
Sarah

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
CUSTOM remappring is not a bespoke remap for your car, It's clever marketing, a closer description would be "Tailored version of Generic" or "Tweaked as best they can to suit you car".

But you can get live-mapping which is totally custom to your car, so perhaps this is where the confusion lies? To me, a custom map is a map that is unique to your car. This is something I looked into some time ago when I was considering turbo charging my Celica. Any 'Custom' map I looked at involved a lot of work to get it exactly right and perfect for my setup.
I'm now learning that VAG tuners are exploiting this idea somewhat and advertising, as you say yourself, a tailored generic map as a custom map. Just seems wrong to me.

Stage 2 maps run with Higher boost, use 4bar FBR for more fuel and require exhaust mods and intercoolers etc. They are set up for these mods and on an LCR they extract another 10bhp or so.....they also sustain peak figures further into the rev range.

I know all about Stage 2 and I never meant my post to sound like I was asking what the difference was, as I understand that. What I was getting at is if all maps are able to adapt themselves totally to your engine and any changes, there would be no point in having a Stage 1 and Stage 2. I guess it was a rhetorical question to make a point.

bellautos

Ill try and answer some of these the best i can because this long thread has took some reading.

A performance air filter can be fitted b4 or after a remap it wont make whoot to the programming.Other mods like mork said FMIC exhaust etc etc is a different story.

Dodson's DV is leaking air slightly so needs a repair or stronger spring fitted.

Vagcom is not 100% accurate on a tuned car as many people have said b4.

No i don't map cars by just looking at the torque figures in Vagcom i look at many other parameters as well.

IF i have to open a ecu and it fo*ked it i would pay for it,My tools do read/write the EEprom and Eprom by OBD but in SOME cases this is not enough to TOTALLY remove the remaining data left by time trials.
People have seen my soldering and if in honest even tho i say so my self you cant ever tell ive took the psop off

No EEprom in the world can instruct itself to write over itself....
the switching routine that is built in might be the same, but it will still have remnants of the performance trial built in
My point exactly m8 how can a eeprom timer reprogram its self back to stock.

peeps should think about this

where would the stock eeprom data be held while the ecu was running was running a time trial ?

The processor in these ecus don't have space for data to be stored so the eeprom can only be a timer to switch between maps in the eprom or posp.

In the psop or eprom there is space at the bottom for data/code to be held.
The eeprom looks at this data and uses this data to control the timer and maps the car is running from.

Here is a picture of a VW beetle after a revo time trial has expired, this data is STILL in the engine eprom and some other data in the Eeprom.

So if this is factory why would the factory put revos name in there code ??loooooooooool
But me sticking up for revo here,
they ONLY state on there that is goes back to a FACTORY standard performance, and YOU the customer take this as factory data,, which is wrong of you.

I'm not saying APR is the same but i would think that they are not 100% stock
( may be I'm wrong and if so I'm sorry)

It all reverts back to the timer in the eeprom and the data in the psop

Last edited by a moderator:

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
Im going to Pete once I have the money, he will also tweak it further down the line for free if you do get any more mods.

Yeh i'v decided to as well, he's been A+ with help, gona phone him tomorrow n get booked in. He def seems to know exactly whats going on.

Cheers Pete!!!

bellautos

My prices are cheap eniough without a deal. looool

Untill we move to the new MOT station my garage is a very small back street garage, Where i make files for a lot of well knows remap companys in the uk.

So you dont get free coffee, no nice play station to play while i tune your car.
And my prices reflect this.

I will however on your car if nesseary remove the trial data for free on this occasion only and this is only to see the final outcome.

I dont normaly remove time trial data for free as it was not me who put it there in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

bellautos

Chris is not on commition no ,, but i may buy him a pint if he is ever in my local looool

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
lol i doubt he'll offer a discount as i might need extra work done because of this apr trial... but im gona be going down next week so prob bit soon for u...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.