Options for New Turbo for Mk4 Ibiza PD130?

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
and no, I don't think it's a valve problem or something,,, on a tdi, the boost goes backwards like it does on a petrol but there's no need for a dv cos there's no throttle valve to preserve from damage.

Marky P

I'm not sure which pipe it was, the mechanic said it had a funny metallic connection. Does that make sense?

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
the one on mine that kept blowing off had a big, large metal ring in it, maybe that's the one he's referring to,,, but then, for these things there's no need to put your car in the hands of a clueless mechanic,,,

what's the name of the part again please?

Marky P

I've just spoken to the mechanic and he said that it was the pipe between IC and the turbo. But because of the weird fitting there was no way you could get a clip on it. it kinds of slots together rather than one pipe being inside another.

He mentioned something about engine or gearbox mounts that if they were worn then that might cause undue stress on the pipe?

Marky P

oh and the name of the clip pictured above is a jubilee clip in english.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
I've just spoken to the mechanic and he said that it was the pipe between IC and the turbo. But because of the weird fitting there was no way you could get a clip on it. it kinds of slots together rather than one pipe being inside another.

He mentioned something about engine or gearbox mounts that if they were worn then that might cause undue stress on the pipe?

BS cos if he knows how to do his job he'd be able to put a damn clip in there,,, how is it supposed to stay under pressure if there's no clip!?

The engine/gearbox mount could be true cos if the engine moves a lot, being the IC secured firm, the pipes would move and it 'could' be that they loosen up. Makes a bit of sense at least,,, BUT, you deffo notice the engine vibrating if an engine mount goes shot,,, I'd suspect that he's tryin to shaft you from behind,,, phone in, ask if the pipe is a soft one [there's some which are in hard plastic and some others which are made out of rubber-like stuff], if it is, take the car out and go buy a jubilee clip [thx btw] which costs less than £1,,, you can do the job yourself,,,

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Check to be sure, NEVER trust a machanic. Then, if it is the hard one, go to seat and buy an IC pipe clip, all the connections between the pipes have one, just make sure it's the correct size, I remember muddy here having a problem with blowing IC pipes and it was cos the dealer messed up and swapped the clips between one connection and another so the sizes were very similar but enough different to make the pipes pop,,,

Marky P

Has anyone got one of those parts pictures showing the turbo etc? I can try and find out what I need!

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
you can't get a jubilee clip on because it uses a socket connection on the turbo joint the mechanic is not telling porkies a little surclip holds it in place!
really bad connection type, ask them to replace the surclip when reseating joint as suppose to use them only once.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Carlo

A lot of the pipe connections are not suitable for jubilee clips, the pipes have a metal end/insert which fits into the housing, then a big circlip goes over the top to hold them together.

Hard to explain, but there is no easy way a jubilee clip could be used on these joints.
MarkyP's mechanic is right.

The metal "insert" or "end" on the pipe has two small lugs, which the circlip holds onto to stop the pipes coming apart. However these lugs are quite soft, and can wear away or get damaged, if that's the case then the pipe needs replacing.
First thing to try is buy new circlips (careful to get the right size, there are several, and ETKA listed some wrong part numbers when I needed some for my Ibiza - best just buy a mixture of sizes they're not expensive) - and before fitting them, make sure the pipe joints are pushed COMPLETELY together. If they are not, the circlips will sit "on top" of the metal lugs rather than behind them - which means they won't grip, and can also damage/wear the lugs.

This is probably all hard to understand if you haven't had the joints apart yourself to see them...

Last edited:

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Lee I know what you mean, but *at least on my car* I have some IC pipes which are made of rubber. There's a koint near the IC which has two pipes, an internal, large metal ring to straighten the joint and an outer rubber part that goes over both rubber pipes,,, I had the rubber part blowing off continously last year so I put there a jubilee clip,,, do I have to take a pic for you to believe me? I can if you want,,,

Maybe this is just for the 110 or it was a dirty job by the previous owner?? :shrug:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Carlo yes I believe you - but I think they started using some newer types of joint on the Mk4 Ibiza that is not on yours.

They are still soft rubber pipes, but with a special metal fitting in the end.

Marky P

Muddyboots,

thanks for that - it sounds like you have bitter experience!

They put a new pipe on the first time around - I would have assumed that came with new clips?

I got the car back yesterday and he said he's put some sort of additional wire clip on - the type they use on race cars (???) My mechanic does look after a number of rally cars so I tend to beleive him.

I'll ask if a new clip was used?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.