1.8 20v n/a cams

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Are they any different to 20vt cams out of interest?
Reason I ask is that not many people have actually changed cams in the 20vt, I suppose due to remaps etc giving decent increases. I was wondering if anyone has considered them when going for a slightly larger turbo to obviously give the best chance of gains for top end revs.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
it has been done and from what I have heard pushes power at top end at the expence of low end

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
forget the guys name,but wasn't there a lairy N/A 20v in a mk1 that was very very good in a mk1 golf ,one of the club GTI forum guys,sort of 200bhp on throttle bodies?video against a ......... round a track

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
its top endy all ready though....

I know.. The higher lift at TDC I hope to increase cylinder fill sooner, so am hoping for some mid range gains too.
New large TB and intake mani goes on first tho.

Not silly top endy tho, just sustained, progressive to the imposed limiter @ 8200rpm. Its got meanfull torque from 4K thru to 8K, flatline (ish)
Badger%205%20RR%20Run-small.jpg

Last edited:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
it was graham vanstone (mad20v on clubgti)

very special engine though, handbuilt by a guy whos name i forget, RobT or Bill will remember

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Handbuilt by John Reed - famous for Hotrod engines on south coast, portsmouth perhaps - over 10K invested as it really was a one off, awesome bit of kit, can be seen in this months retro cars actually.....did 208 atw ! at TSR a couple years back whereas mine is something like 200atw now. Stonking.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I think his name was Graham Vanstone........

There's also a black Mk1 gti which had 20v on t'bodies.. (rolled it at Kames last year, but continued sprinting it when we rolled him back on to his wheels)
std cams in that one I believe... rare 2.0ltr 20v all alloy block version.
Lives up in Manc area I believe.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Vanstones now sold to local guy in Bristol (Paul)
Has suffered a wheel falling off a couple of times.... for some hub failure reason..

New engine for Paul as Graham suffered a catastrophic valve failure which nuked his motor.

dan-ish

Audi Techie
Jan 26, 2005
darwen
There's also a black Mk1 gti which had 20v on t'bodies.. (rolled it at Kames last year, but continued sprinting it when we rolled him back on to his wheels)
std cams in that one I believe... rare 2.0ltr 20v all alloy block version.
Lives up in Manc area I believe.

It runs shrick cams now think it makes about 190ish at the wheels

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members