480+bhp seat ibiza

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
depends on what you call laggy ?
the graph starts at 3000rpm ?

lol, in relative to K03 terms its laggy.. :D

in relative to IHI VF34 it is'nt, but pulls a lot lot more top end as well.

Inevitable for low end to be compromised for top end... but I think 480+bhp makes up for some sub 3.5K power deficit. :D ;)

Triple D

:-o blimey bill, i remember seeing this on the rollers at JBS the other year when it was about 350 bhp, it must be un imaginable to see/ hear it now,

Casper

swoooooooosh
Jul 7, 2005
****, traction must be real hard to find :)

I think my friends numbers will be revealed in next 2 weeks - Seat leon with Autronic SM4 and gt30/40r plus other goodies (should be around 550hp, but we'll see.

Bill, that kind of power must be really brutal in a car light as ibiza. Can't even imagine...

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
****, traction must be real hard to find :)

well surprisingly not as bad as the headline figures would suggest (in the dry)
progression of power delivery and less torque being significant.
dont get me wrong its manic, and 1st few gears are more tyre smoke creators. :p

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
:-o blimey bill, i remember seeing this on the rollers at JBS the other year when it was about 350 bhp, it must be un imaginable to see/ hear it now,

well the JBS neighbors have had a rude awakening of the dyno next door/opposite. Funeral directors next door, and I think the noise woke the dead when the pens vibrated off the desk, and the tyre Co opposite's tyre rack vibrated from the exhaust noise from the ibiza..

boy are they going to luv this car and others of the same ilk.. :hide:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
bill,just how much quicker round coombe is it than the jetta?just curious as to time/money/greif/.obviously you're racing it now,so theres other factors on track.
is it that much quicker??

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
bill,just how much quicker round coombe is it than the jetta?just curious as to time/money/greif/.obviously you're racing it now,so theres other factors on track.
is it that much quicker??

in time terms on road tryes, not massively quicker no...
1m22s best jetta lap on sticky R888's

1m18s in ibiza on road tryes - 4 secs from well over double the power.

not a lot is it.

Scarily, the new Norris Designs EVO of Rob Ballard is ballistic! 1m14.6sec lap on quali... road tryes remember. Has been driven round combe on a test day at 1m13s point something by Gary Prebble.

Different league.... but also some DNF's so early on. Fast but fragile perhaps.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
in time terms on road tryes, not massively quicker no...
1m22s best jetta lap on sticky R888's

1m18s in ibiza on road tryes - 4 secs from well over double the power.

not a lot is it.

Scarily, the new Norris Designs EVO of Rob Ballard is ballistic! 1m14.6sec lap on quali... road tryes remember. Has been driven round combe on a test day at 1m13s point something by Gary Prebble.

Different league.... but also some DNF's so early on. Fast but fragile perhaps.

4 secs is alot in a race though(between jetta and ibiza),and the evo is 4 secs quicker still!!! mentalists:D

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
it stormed up behind me during quali when I was missing my boost... sqw it approaching as I went up avon rise and as I got into quarry, feck me it was right behindme. Awesome piece of kit.... IF it finishes races

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Bill are you into your top speed runs or is it more of a track car where speeds will be lower?

Have you thought about gearing for acceleration as opposed to top end? Or would that cause too many problems traction wise? Are you using the standard box and gearing as it is?

They are phenomenal figures for such a light car, could only imagine motorbike performance being similar.

Well done and keep it up, that 500+ figure will be with you soon :blink: :D

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Also Bill what are the reasons behind not breaking the same in torque? Is it just down to the cubic size of the engine?

Your torque figures are similar as to what you were with IHI although i do understand it is far more sustained. Is it just the way it has been mapped to give driveability or is getting past 400/450lbft just not manageable on a 1900cc engine?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Think Bill is away on Holiday for a week now.

Think the gearbiox issue was talked about a while back and Bill said something along the lines of.......

Torque is lower is to save the gearbox, alternatives are thin on the ground and the 'special' Quaife dog box cost him muchos ££ way back when and he never liked the way it worked (and never worked properly)......I would guess that being a known weak point of the set up Bill is trying to extend it's life span.... :shrug:

Sure he will correct me if I'm wrong

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
Is there a reason for Bill to not run an aftermarket ECU and external wastegate?

Saw Tim's Ibiza today running MoTeC and external WG. What a toy that is!

The%20toy%20to%20have.JPG

Tim's%20Ibiza.JPG

Tims%20very%20serious%20Ibiza.JPG

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Is there a reason for Bill to not run an aftermarket ECU and external wastegate?

Saw Tim's Ibiza today running MoTeC and external WG. What a toy that is!

Tims%20very%20serious%20Ibiza.JPG

the reason I am not on aftermarket management at the moment is no need. Mapping stock ecu is fine. Tims was'nt ever a cupra, a 1400cc shell or something to begin with so started from a different point. Motec is a great system tho and he's done a very good job at self mapping.

His turbo is mounted other way round, exhaust hot side on passenger side, as no contraints on what he was bulding as it ws shell up.

fast tho innit. (to the limits of the trasmission! 5th went bang on him too he txt me on last monday trackday)

Torque us more than our feeble transmissions can cope with.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
impressive figures v.nice.

reving past 8k tho blimey

bigger turbo takes airflow to spool which is rpm from a small motor such as 1.8t.

remembering the turbo size running to get these figures is more for a 2.5ltr motor than an 1800/1900 one.