***Replacing ko3 advice/tips/shorcuts***

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Thinking of replacing the k03 this week/weekend, but abit nervous of something going wrong. Main concern is getting access to pipes, like oil lines and water lines, are any of these fragile and concern breaking/cracking?:headhurt:
Any tips/suggestions/shortcuts?:rolleyes:

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
if youve got the new turbo to hand, thatll make life a whole lot easier as youll be able to have a look where everything is before hand and see what size spanners, allen keys etc youll need...

other than that, its just an awkward fiddly job in all honesty, you shouldnt break anything doing it all, just note that a couple of lines are actually bolted to the turbo for support aswell as the securing bit on the end...

and get a whole load of gaskes

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
The replacment ko3 dosnt have have the bolts so i cant check what size keys, looks very fiddly and time consuming,
im struggling to remove the broken stud from exhaust housing:redface::doh:
wish the turbo was side mounted instead at the rear.:headhurt:

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Will be getting the bits 2morow, would it better get it from dealers instead of gsf parts?

So far i have these gaskets for oil return line.

Code:
Part Name	Part Number	Quanity	
Oil -return gasket sump	058145757A	1	
Oil -return gasket turbo	058145757B	1	

Down pipe stud	N 90767801	4	
Manifold to turbo gasket	06A253039E	1	unsure with 
Turbo to downpipe gasket	1J0 253 115 A	1	unsure with

Can some tell me which one is the turbo to manifold gasket? :06A 253 039E or 058 145 757 C

Do you need to replace the rings for oil line feed and water lines?

(My ref: http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/se/IB/2001/238/49/4666775/#35 )

Last edited:

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
Will be getting the bits 2morow, would it better get it from dealers instead of gsf parts?

So far i have these gaskets for oil return line.

Code:
Part Name	Part Number
Oil -return gasket sump	058145757A
Oil -return gasket turbo	058145757B

Can some tell me which one is the turbo to manifold gasket? :06A 253 039E or 058 145 757 C

Do you need to replace the rings for oil line feed and water lines?

(My ref: http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/se/IB/2001/238/49/4666775/#35 )

yes replace all the washers that are for the oil and water lines... i made a mistake of not doing them at first and had a water leak... probs best to find the list for k03s conversions for all the parts...

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
How long would it take you remove /fit the turbo?

hard say... 1st time i did it it took a me a while as i was above/below car all the time, the thing that took my time up was the mani bolts, but i did once take all the mani off and turbo out in 90 mins as i was in a rush... it is easy once you know as its just bolts and allen key bolts to undo...

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
hard say... 1st time i did it it took a me a while as i was above/below car all the time, the thing that took my time up was the mani bolts, but i did once take all the mani off and turbo out in 90 mins as i was in a rush... it is easy once you know as its just bolts and allen key bolts to undo...

Do you have take mani off totaly (is optional).? Did you remove the downpipe or just dropped it down?
How much did it cost you in gasket/seals?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Gasket and seals come to around £30 if you get the full load. Get plenty of crush washers for the lines because I have to take mine out again to replace them as I'm leaking!! :(

I would take the mani off as it is only 13 nuts and makes getting the turbo out a hell of a lot easier!!

so do you have to get them invidual or can get whole set as a package? (save me time)

cant seem to find gasket for manifold to block.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Just got ordered the gaskets, worked out to be 24 inc 4 dwn pipe studs and the washers on come in pack of 20 only.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
struggling to get exhaust off the turbo. what tools did you people used? the sub frame gets in the way!!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
I used a spanner for the top ones from the top of the engine and I think I used spanners for the bottom too. You can do it just don't be afraid of scratching your arms ;) Mine are knackered!

Ive manged to get top 2 off, but cant get bottoms due to access, one socket slipped and damaged part of nut (hope it dont slip!!) :cry::cry:[:@]

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Just be careful bud because if you strip it you will have a nightmare getting it off!! Do you have swan neck spanners? I think this helped me a bit. I don't think I used sockets at all for them.

I know, :headhurt:
you mean dog bone spanners? how long are your spanners?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.