For anyone who owned an mk3 and upgraded

Apr 4, 2024
Was it worth it?

I'm on the market looking for a used 2.0l Cupra Leon: I'm currently fighting between the mk3 and mk4, where I see the mk4 devaluing very fast compared to the mk3, on top of some nagging issues the mk4 brought (namely the new center console and interaction with it).
Am I wasting my time and go for the mk4 without double-thinking about it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I think I’d stick with mk3 to be honest. I’ve had a mk3 Leon Cupra for over 2y now. I’d go for the pre-facelift too in my opinion. I prefer not having a GPF, and having a physical handbrake, not the electronic one. I do miss the virtual cockpit though, but, in the grand scheme of things, it’s minor.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Am I wasting my time and go for the mk4 without double-thinking about it?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Personally I prefer the MK3 but for you I would suggest driving both cars first and see which you prefer.

Yes the MK4 has many VAG Bugs but I think they are getting to sort most of them by now but the setup is different, however again you need to sit in the car and use it to find out what meets your requirements,

Reactions: TheSwede

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
The MK3 I'd have again tomorrow. The MK4 looks nicer, rides and handles better but it's human interface and software is fundamentally flawed, which is something very difficult to get used to. They might be able to fix some of the software bugs, but you are always going to have to take your eyes off the road to make the most essential adjustments to heating, cooling and exterior lights.

I see they've changed the NCAP test to include touch controls for basic functions as a added risk, reducing the car's safety score - so we might see the return of some common sense in future.

Apr 4, 2024
I see they've changed the NCAP test to include touch controls for basic functions as a added risk, reducing the car's safety score - so we might see the return of some common sense in future.
I think the market has been taking its sweet sweet time to read the room :rolleyes:

Personally I prefer the MK3 but for you I would suggest driving both cars first and see which you prefer.

Yes the MK4 has many VAG Bugs but I think they are getting to sort most of them by now but the setup is different, however again you need to sit in the car and use it to find out what meets your requirements,
Absolutely good point. I'm already chatting with the dealer to have a test drive of the mk4, probably next week already.

mk3 is a bit different, as I can only see one at a dealer an hour's drive from where I live

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
will check on that, have only been looking at the major aggregators until now.
You can have a look at one being sold by a private seller. That’ll give you a feel of the car, n see if you like it or not. Then try find one at a dealer if you want go down that route.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
In the early fall of 2023 I received a business proposal from our local dealer to exchange my Mk3 Leon Cupra R manual for a new Golf mk8 R 20 years Edition, white with 0 km on the odo in their show room.
My Cupra has done 30000 km (20000 miles). I test drove a Golf mk8 GTI Clubsport. About the same car as the Golf R mk8 or Cupra Leon mk4.
Despite the good price, I dropped out of the deal at the last minute. I don't get a better car, more power in the mk8 R but heavier than mk3 Cupra R. I am not at all impressed of the infotainment, too many bugs, few switches/buttons.
I really like my mk3 Seat Cupra to much!! The Golf mk8 or Leon mk4 can't compensate that. Felt that the new one unfortunately was developed in the wrong direction. In addition, it was not available/had a manual gearbox.
So far very happy with my decision.

Before my Cupra I had a Golf R mk7 manual for 4 years, very nice car.

I like DSG (have one in my Alltrack) but prefer manual in a sporty car.
/Peter

Apr 4, 2024
I like DSG (have one in my Alltrack) but prefer manual in a sporty car.
Thanks for sharing, that would be the same for me, as for my wife, she prefers auto, so I feel like a good compromise is to have a decent enough dual-clutch gearbox...

But then the question arises, because if I'm reading it right the mk4 sounds like a lesser upgrade to the mk3, then what would be a good alternative choice without having to rob a bank? I had a look at the i30N right now, and while the price surely is alluring, it does look more like a track car than a daily driver (road noise and suspension harshness, interiors quality, to name a few).

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Hmmmm, i30N... I'm a VAG enthusiast so I think you should buy a Cupra Leon mk4 if you don't want a mk3.
I don't know anything about Hyundai, probably will never own one :).
Mk4 is a great car but not perfect as I mentioned.
The mk4 Facelift perhaps wiil have some added buttons instead of touch handling? Golf mk8 Facelift will.

Last edited:

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
MK3 Is a great motor and lots of possibility to make changes to suit your personal preferences.

The other thing (as I will not be getting rid of mine till it dies) is that the more modern cars (MQB Evo platform) are going to have more issues with electronics and that is going to hurt when your warranty runs out.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
MK3 Is a great motor and lots of possibility to make changes to suit your personal preferences.

The other thing (as I will not be getting rid of mine till it dies) is that the more modern cars (MQB Evo platform) are going to have more issues with electronics and that is going to hurt when your warranty runs out.
I don’t think I’d be brave enough to run a VAG car on the MQB Evo platform without a good warranty in place.

Reactions: KoNG and tracktoy

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Just found out my new cupra will be coming with a five year warranty, so it sounds like VAG agree - at least for the Cupra brand so far...

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Just found out my new cupra will be coming with a five year warranty, so it sounds like VAG agree - at least for the Cupra brand so far...
That’s good. Manufacturers are offering 5-7-year warranties on new cars now, depending on the manufacturer. Especially Japanese brands.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
That’s good. Manufacturers are offering 5-7-year warranties on new cars now, depending on the manufacturer. Especially Japanese brands.
It’s interesting that Toyota reduced their standard five year warranty to three years back in 2021. However, once the original three year warranty period is up, Toyota extend the warranty for free with each subsequent scheduled full and interim service carried out at a Toyota dealership until the car is 10 years old or has covered 100k miles, whichever happens first.

Good to see that Toyota have faith in their vehicles and have the confidence to do this 👍. It’s also a good way to tie the customer into the dealership network and the Toyota brand, which I dare say increases customer loyalty and repeat custom when an owner is ready to replace their car.

Carnifekt

Mar 29, 2024
Lincolnshire
I think I’d stick with mk3 to be honest. I’ve had a mk3 Leon Cupra for over 2y now. I’d go for the pre-facelift too in my opinion. I prefer not having a GPF, and having a physical handbrake, not the electronic one. I do miss the virtual cockpit though, but, in the grand scheme of things, it’s minor.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 2018 300 Facelift without the GPF? The only reason I ask is because it's what I've been eyeing up to upgrade to next year :)

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 2018 300 Facelift without the GPF? The only reason I ask is because it's what I've been eyeing up to upgrade to next year :)
My understanding is GPFs came on copper badges (18-plates and onwards) so any facelift 17/67 plate is still no GPF, right?

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Sep 2018 was the introduction of the GPF.

Reactions: Carnifekt
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members