Any help appreciated! ASAP

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
I changed my green s2000 open cone filter tonight for the exact same filter but a red one, at the same time i serviced my forge 007p dv with the service kit i received from forge recently...

When i start the car the revs keep dropping and it splutters away until it finally cuts out, it absolutely stinks of unburnt fuel and when i plug it in to the torque app i get these 2 fault codes

-

P0638 - Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance

P0221 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit Range/Performance

I have searched the forums and google in regards to the above faults but couldnt find a solution. I have tried starting it with the MAF unplugged and its exactly the same.

I thought maybe i had serviced the 007p incorrectly so removed it and double checked the forge PDF and everything was right, and the piston moves freely and it holds pressure when doing the pressure test. I have even put my the old OEM airbox back on to see if that helped any.. which it didnt.

Any help appreciated guys as im pretty much stuck now :(

If it makes any difference the battery was disconnected for a good hour while i changed the filter and serviced my DV the first time round

Thanks
Ryan

EDIT : - I have also checked for split pipes and hoses and cant see any at all.

Last edited:

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Found my old bosch DV, fitted that and its still the same... im sure i have an old MAF upstairs somewhere from years ago that i could try... but i cant see how it could be the MAF if it still stutters and cuts out without it plugged in?

Any other ideas anyone?

Last edited:

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Id hope not, I replaced all four 3 weeks ago and when they went last time the car ran it just drove really rough.. now it just cuts out after 5/10 seconds.. the car literally sounds like its choking

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Nope they're the only two, replaced the CTS a few weeks back as well due to dodgy temp gauge but that didnt fix it so got a stat ready to be fitted at some point..

Disconnected the battery again and put every back standard also reversed my n249 bypass. Started it and it spluttered a couple of times, revved itself to about 3500-4000k revs then kept revving itself up and down trying to keep itself running so turned it off, where as before it got to the point of just dying.. I've looked everywhere for split pipes and nothing looks a miss, I'm completely stuck

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Ok since reconnecting the battery and running the fault checker again i now also have P0121 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Range/Performance Problem, as well as the other 2 faults

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Tried disconnecting the coils 1 by 1, made no difference except threw me up some error codes regarding them when i re scanned it. Cleared the faults and they never came back so im pretty sure that rules the coil packs out?

andycupra

status subject to change
have you tried putting the old filter back on? as this is whats changed..
i presume there is nothing you need doing to the new filter, such as removing an insert or something like this?
Is it definately connected properly? as if you remove a filter completely you can get issues such as this, no pipes popped off when you changed filters?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
You need vagcom software. See if you can find someone local with it. Check any wiring you may have disturbed. Codes all relate to TB wiring.
Fingers crossed it just needs resetting with vagcom

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Yes Andy old filter back on and no difference, tried everything I can think of and double checked all hoses! I will check all the wiring and connectors around that area tomorrow as like you say pat the codes are relating to sensors/wiring! The car is completely unusable as is, so need to wait for some day light and try again tomorrow.

Any other ideas come to mind let us know in the meantime, thanks for your help guys

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
I have checked all the wiring this morning, also unplugged the throttle body sensor, made sure it was clean and plugged it back in, double checked all the hoses in the area and everything is ok there. Since disconnecting and reconnecting the throttle body, the car is still stuttering on idle but can be revved freely up to 3500k rpm then it hits a brick wall and doesnt go any further

I cleared all the faults then re scanned before starting the engine and this fault returned immediately

www.dtcsearch.com/p0638/?from=Torque

After a minute of revving to see if it would clear itself, the accelerator pedal stopped working completely and it just stuck at around 1200-1300k rpm

It seems like something i have touched or done has improved it ever so slightly.. Could the connecter to the throttle body itself be faulty?

Cheers guys

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Also i couldnt clean the TB as i dont have the tool to get it off but popped the intercooler hose off attached to it and tbh it didnt look that dirty from what i could see?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.