Windows went down in middle of night on their own!

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
Very strange, but I came out to my alarm going and all the windows were down. I tired searching here, because I remember someone had this problem before, but couldn't find the thread.

What could be wrong? Very worrying especially if you leave your car in a public place - satnav etc could get stolen.

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
Nope they are fine..

Even if someone did 'try' them, its even more worrying that the windows would go down and help someone trying to steal your car lol.

geoffc

Very strange, but I came out to my alarm going and all the windows were down. I tired searching here, because I remember someone had this problem before, but couldn't find the thread.

What could be wrong? Very worrying especially if you leave your car in a public place - satnav etc could get stolen.

That happened me last year, with a Golf GT TDI 170.....I was wandering about, with my keys in my pocket. I disabled the remote window closing thing. Happened twice!

Ni Cupra

Inferi black cupra
May 23, 2007
happened on my car couple of weeks ago, thankfully it was in my mates shed as it had been raining quite heavy. the 4 windows went down about 2 inches but it hasnt happened since.

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
Happened on my MY07 FR TFSI a couple of weeks ago. Woke in middle of night to alarm going off. Came down to check and next door's security light was on so suspect someone had had a go and then run off. Found all windows down and alarm going. Doors were also unlocked. Closed windows and re-locked, and been fine since.

A tad worrying - I thought VAG had fixed the issue where someone can do something to the driver's lock and it opens all the windows and unlocks the car...

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
if you keep key in the lock in the unlock position the windows go down.. sounds like someone tried your lock to me with another key if that's even possible??

Maximus2000uk

Theres another post all about this. Use the search function.

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester
This has just happened to me. At about 2:00pm, I noticed that all four windows were a third of the way down.

I don't think they were down overnight or this morning, but I can't be sure, as it's parked on the drive at the side of my house. I don't think so, as it's been raining but the seats aren't wet. If it was this afternoon, I didn't hear any alarm. There's no sign that the locks been tampered with, and I haven't had the key in my pocket.

Is this something I should get looked at, do you think?

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
I think what we need to do, is if you notice the windows are down, check to see if the car is still locked. .

If its locked and windows down... then to me there is a problem...

If its unlocked and windows down, then there is the potential that the unlock button was pushed and held instead of the lock button when you left the car ... (i know i've made that mistake sometimes.).

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
my windows whent down the other week too also at night my mum noticed ont he way back from her dog walk not on the way out? no alarm or nothing tho? it was raining lightly but no water got in? is this a normal problem? it hasnt happened since tho?

134nk5

Aug 21, 2007
Mine went down the other week and my seats got soaked , think it was me with keys in pocket though. The doors were still locked. if you do open them by pressing down the unlock button by mistake the doors will lock again after 30secs , can you get the windows to go back up again ?

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
Happened again!

Hi all, this morning I had this happen again on my MY07 FR TFSI and I was stood right by the car when it happened. Our work vehicle was parked next to my car on the drive - a Citroen C2 Enterprise. I pressed the unlock button on the Citroen key to unlock the van (and definitely did NOT touch the Leon key - it was still in the house!) ... and hey presto, the Leon unlocked and all the windows went down (alarm did not go off though, as happened last time).

Now, that seems a pretty serious issue to me, if another vehicle's remote key can interfere with the Leon and unlock it - by why do the windows all go down?

I re-locked the Leon (and the Citroen C2), and tried to get it to do it again, but it was absolutely fine after re-locking and would not unlock again. with the Citroen key.

Is this just a total coincidence, or is there a possibility that other vehicles' remote keys are causing Leons to unlock and the windows to go down?

It turns out that the night a few weeks ago when I awoke to my alarm going off and the windows down, and next door's security light on, that next door had actually come home very late, so locking her car (a Honda Civic) may just have UNlocked mine.

Thoughts anyone...

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Now, that seems a pretty serious issue to me, if another vehicle's remote key can interfere with the Leon and unlock it - by why do the windows all go down?

I'm not sure how car alarm fobs work, but I guess the different between a short press (unlock) and long press (windows down) would either be a change in frequency or a longer transmitted signal. Probably the latter.

Maybe Citroen (for example) uses a longer length signal for a simple unlock of their cars.

It could be that the transmitters in the Citroen (for example) arn't very good and can change frequency slightly and interfere with the Leon.
Or the Leon receiver isn't too fussy, maybe even likes the extra attention?

I'm quite tired so this is complete speculation, probably complete bollocks too...

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
That sounds feasible, and might explain why it seems my neighbour's Honda Civic's remote key unlocked my car unwittingly when she locked hers (although we can't prove this - she didn't notice my car unlocking when she locked hers, even though it was parked right next to hers, so can't be sure).

I cleaned both the C2 and the Leon today and locked/unlocked the C2 several times but the Leon behaved perfectly today. I wish it would do it consistently, then I could prove what's going on!

Have to say, aside from this issue, I'm really pleased with the Leon. The DSG gearbox is a bit scary at times (it seems to get "stuck" in neutral sometimes, particularly between 2nd and 1st when I go to pull away at a roundabout when I haven't quite stopped), but other than that it's the best car I've ever had (it's my 4th Leon, the others were Cupra TDi's or FR+ TDi's). I live in a road in a modern estate, full of Honda Civics and Golfs, and my car stands out amongst them. Interesting to note that someone further up the road has recently upgraded his Mk IV Golf GTi to a brand new Leon Cupra - he stopped this morning and said this first occurred to him after seeing mine in the drive!