What will K&N filter damage?

manos

I think you can clean the maf sensor with a specially spray (for electronics) and probably it will never damage.

Cupra R 231

May 14, 2005
Lincolnshire
The Hks filter isn't one of those stainless gause types. but I know the ones you mean...
I think they are made by Blitz, and yes they are meant to be complete crap at filtration..
Hks is a strange kinda foam filter but not oiled.
In the jap world they are regarded as 1 of the best at filtration.

hornet boy

Nov 4, 2005
Cambs
So am I right in thinking that nothing else will be affected other than the MAF? Generally speaking.

I would put the original back on as soon as I got the car anyway.

danregs

Leon Cupra 20VT
Oct 26, 2004
Exeter
www.bugproject.co.uk
nothing else should be affected, no.

and, according to the thread i posted above, there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that oiled filters cause MAF failure. and anybody that says otherwise should take it up with K&N as they are getting very shitty and overprotective about these claims of MAF damage.....

....its up to you who you believe!! ;)

hornet boy

Nov 4, 2005
Cambs
Thanks for the info. I'll hopefully have a look at the car at the weekend, and if I get it, I may see if the garage will put a standard one on....it's worth a try.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
BST said:
Just as a sanity check here lads....

:whistle: I've had an apollo K&N on my 150PD (which as a diesel vibrated like hell from the off) and at 25k+ have now problems??? :confused:

May well be lucky, but wouldnt want to scar you and spoil your fun... do it :p

Ben.

yep lucky.

most common failure of MAF's is on diesels

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Cupra R 231 said:
The Hks filter isn't one of those stainless gause types. but I know the ones you mean...
I think they are made by Blitz, and yes they are meant to be complete crap at filtration..
Hks is a strange kinda foam filter but not oiled.
In the jap world they are regarded as 1 of the best at filtration.

ah yea, those mushroom type jobbies. I've seen em.. on Skylines etc.
coatings are added as the thing which catches dust. larger pore sizes is more airflow, but too large is less dust filtration, hence coatings to stick to.

Dry filters (paper being the obvious) will rely on pore size to filter particles. Smaller pore size faster filter blinding, for same given surface area.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
danregs said:
nothing else should be affected, no.

and, according to the thread i posted above, there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that oiled filters cause MAF failure. and anybody that says otherwise should take it up with K&N as they are getting very shitty and overprotective about these claims of MAF damage.....

....its up to you who you believe!! ;)

Over oiled filters WILL allow coating to be sucked out of filter and across MAF sensor element.

Simple fact.

BUT... and there is one. Oil contamination of MAF's and subsequent failure as said by Bosch themselves is oil breather system venting into the air tract. DV blows these fumes around and you can and do get an oily MAF despite a totally clean inlet side to it.. only engine side is oily.. :)

danregs

Leon Cupra 20VT
Oct 26, 2004
Exeter
www.bugproject.co.uk
ibizacupra said:
Over oiled filters WILL allow coating to be sucked out of filter and across MAF sensor element.

Simple fact.

BUT... and there is one. Oil contamination of MAF's and subsequent failure as said by Bosch themselves is oil breather system venting into the air tract. DV blows these fumes around and you can and do get an oily MAF despite a totally clean inlet side to it.. only engine side is oily.. :)

yep i would agree with that 100% :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise