What will K&N filter damage?

hornet boy

Nov 4, 2005
Cambs
I want to have a look at a car at the weekend which is standard bar a K&N filter. I have done some searching and seen that these tend to break the MAF.

I have 2 questions:

1) Is it likely to affect anything else and damage the rest of the engine?

2) How easy is it to put the standard one back on, and how much do they cost roughly?

Cheers,
Scott

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
MAF failure I'll bet.

So £260 for a new MAF.

£10 for a 2nd hand Airbox is what I paid.

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
its the oil in the filter that does the damage mate, K&N filters tend to be well oiled compared to other filters, and this is not good for the air flow sensor

though i think m0rk was abit hasty, a new maf can be picked up for around 70quid these days

and they seem to be just poor generally in my opinion, so even some people with a green filters have still had to replace their maf at some point

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Had a few TT's in with K&N's at work, with idle problems, not running well etc. When told it was the filter ruining the MAF, customers would often laugh saying that it is a performance filter and better than the standard!

flashbsd

the induiction vibration from the k&n will be enough to damage it alone.

I personally wouldn't bother, keep the std aitbox un less your wanting the extra 10bhp ;)

Mark@VAGWORX

SEat Regular
May 15, 2003
Nr Colchester, Essex
acidstrato said:
well i cant really see how there'd be anyless vibrations through different filters

although that said the dynatwist has a huge strap holding it down lol

lol....and the standard airbox is securely screwed to the MAF :D

Need to secure my Green Filter to the wing to stop it bouncing around.

Cupra R 231

May 14, 2005
Lincolnshire
I've used a HKS filter....

Its not an oiled filter so shouldn't be probs there..

The filter is held in by a steel basket with a bolt in middle..... You can use this bolt to also securely bolt it into you car. (feels well solid and doesn't move around anywhere....
Only downside is I haven't sorted out a decent cold air feed for it yet and sealed it from the rest of the engine bay.....

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
CupraT said:
We're talking filters which lead onto MAF's. Just pointing out vibrations aswell as oily filters can damage MAFs.

I'll get me coat then.

quite right. vibration is a known MAF killer, so induction kit would need to soft mount. K&N panel filter alone should be ok so long as its not oiled heavily, which they can be when supplied new.

"If in doubt blot it out" (TM)

regards
bill

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Cupra R 231 said:
I've used a HKS filter....

Its not an oiled filter so shouldn't be probs there..

The filter is held in by a steel basket with a bolt in middle..... You can use this bolt to also securely bolt it into you car. (feels well solid and doesn't move around anywhere....
Only downside is I haven't sorted out a decent cold air feed for it yet and sealed it from the rest of the engine bay.....

HKS as im stainless steel gauze?
no ability for these mesh filters to filter dust. lumps and debris yes, dust = :no:

flow well but not a "filter" which you should rely on for dust catching, and the subsequent major wear and tear on valve seats and compression rings.

Beware.

BST

Just as a sanity check here lads....

:whistle: I've had an apollo K&N on my 150PD (which as a diesel vibrated like hell from the off) and at 25k+ have now problems??? :confused:

May well be lucky, but wouldnt want to scar you and spoil your fun... do it :p

Ben.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
acidstrato said:
though i think m0rk was abit hasty, a new maf can be picked up for around 70quid these days

I was lead to beleive that they don't do exchange any more... hence worst case scenario of replacement.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members