Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CupraSport

Mar 8, 2004
Bolton
Visit site
Ok,
My car is coming up to need some new fronts, I have pretty much decided which ones I am going to get thanks to the threads here and peoples advice so thank you all it being a toss up between Dunlop Sport Maxx maybe the Sport Maxx TT and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical, either ones I am guessing will be fine working in conjunction with the Pirrellis I already have on the back or would you swap them round. Loads of life left on the rears cannot afford all 4 tyres to be replaced but want the rim protector offered by both the above tyres and they perform equally as well as the Rosso's apparently.

Question I have is this, will 235's fit ok on my car (Standard cupra rims) fitted wider tyres on my Ibiza when I had it semed to help the car, and did not cause any issues.

If so can I put the new wider tyres on the back and the 225 section tyres at the front untill I get another pair of 235's for them??? is this possible, would it affect handling in a negative way, would I get rubbing on the arches or anything else.

I will prob be replacing this week so any help coments would be great

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Don't know the answer to your original question sorry, but do you realse it will seriously affect the accuracy of the speedo?

CupraSport

Mar 8, 2004
Bolton
Visit site
Don't know the answer to your original question sorry, but do you realse it will seriously affect the accuracy of the speedo?

As the rolling radius of the wheel will remain the same the speedo accuracy should also stay the same. I am only proposing a change in the width not height.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
As far as I know 235's would go on as JonnyC has them on his 8x18 TD Pro Race 1.2's, but I have not seen anyone else do it on OEM wheels. Be aware that 235's are a lot more expensive than 225's though.

CupraSport

Mar 8, 2004
Bolton
Visit site
Are 235's worth the extra though? as it's an extra 30-40 quid a corner.. It more the point of running 2 diff sizes as well that worries me, I know they do it on rwd cars but on FWD it concerns me a little

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
more tarmac on the ground for more grip. but not sure how well it would work for 7.5's. Im going for some 235's but they are going to be on 8 inch wheels, and on a diffeent ET to the cupra wheels.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
more tarmac on the ground for more grip. but not sure how well it would work for 7.5's. Im going for some 235's but they are going to be on 8 inch wheels, and on a diffeent ET to the cupra wheels.

Which ones Dan? The ones you showed me last night? I might go with 235's as well.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
yes.

ps; my local place charges 5.99 +VAT to fit each tyre to each wheel. (valve and balance)

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
I was always under the impression that if you go up (as in 225 to 235) than the profile needs to go down from a 40 to a 35 to keep the rolling circumference the same, or similar. I am sure there is a table on it somewhere, giving more precise figures.
I wouldn`t however ever put different sizes front to rear. If you were ever involved in an accident you insurance company will probably refuse the claim.

CupraSport

Mar 8, 2004
Bolton
Visit site
Ok,
My car is coming up to need some new fronts, I have pretty much decided which ones I am going to get thanks to the threads here and peoples advice so thank you all it being a toss up between Dunlop Sport Maxx maybe the Sport Maxx TT and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical.

I will prob be replacing this week so any help coments would be great

Any comments on which tyres to go for? I'll prob put them on the back and move the rears to the front. Wear them out faster so I can have all corners the same (hate having diff rubber)

Poverty

The only thing it would affect handling wise is that the rear end might break easier due to having even greater grip on the frnt. If this worries you just stick the new ones on the back.

Has anyone fitted 245/18's yet?

CupraSport

Mar 8, 2004
Bolton
Visit site
The only thing it would affect handling wise is that the rear end might break easier due to having even greater grip on the frnt. If this worries you just stick the new ones on the back.

Has anyone fitted 245/18's yet?

I thought that as well... But they where going on the original rims, looks like I'll be sticking with 225 section rubber...

Dunlop Sport Maxx or Egale F1 Asymnetrics????

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
I had several issues of uneven wear on GSD,s on my LCR. Puts me off getting them on the K1. Personally i have found the RE050A,s to be a good tyre - plenty of grip in the wet and dry and they seem to be lasting well.

nickydobreanu

I will go for uniform 225/40/R18. However, many friends of mine are using 225 with 7.5J for the front wheels and 245 with 8.5J for the rear wheels. Many say that the difference helps the undrsteer not to be so present. I prefer to play only with the ET, I said I'll go for 35, instead of 51 (OEM). Usually, the tyre dimension must be found in the car's documents, so be careful and do not risk too much. (like it was stated above with the insurance etc.)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members