The Good Old Dump Valve Debate....Put To Rest?

Strike

As some of you may have been aware i have tried a Bailey atmospheric dump valve on my Cupra.

It has run sweetly for about 1000miles with no problems... yet, meaning no change in boost pressure or management lights etc.

Bailey have said that this particular valve only works on 1 in 100 Golf 1.8T's so i feel quite special :p

It normally fits in the front of the engine bay which would be good to keep it cool but unfortunatly due to the Samco hose kit, it has had to go at the back again :(

The noise from it is 10 times better and you can make the dumping noise when stationary which is nice for cruises and shows :) It is also apparent that a lot of the noise still comes from the dynatwist kit. But its still mint.

I must point out that i have an APR chip, and am unsure as to the effect this has had on the success. :confused:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
So Bailey make & sell something that works 1% of the time..... that's product development for you

1000 miles is one hell of a long test sessions - you've sold me on it

I take back all the reasoned arguments put forward over the past 4+ years about:

Air Fuel Ratio
Turbo Damage
Engine Damage
Cat Damage

I guess you've done all that to presume your car is 'mint & running sweetly'

Strike

m0rk said:
So Bailey make & sell something that works 1% of the time..... that's product development for you

1000 miles is one hell of a long test sessions - you've sold me on it

I take back all the reasoned arguments put forward over the past 4+ years about:

Air Fuel Ratio
Turbo Damage
Engine Damage
Cat Damage

I guess you've done all that to presume your car is 'mint & running sweetly'

That was constructive and not in anyway sarcastic :confused:

I had it fitted at Awesome GTi who obiviously know a lot less than you about 1.8T engines.

Strike

everyones a comedian,

I thought this was the the constructive technical site, or am i wrong?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Strike said:
I had it fitted at Awesome GTi who obiviously know a lot less than you about 1.8T engines.

obviously........

I only know what I've read, seen & done.

I'm suprised that Awesome who are a good firm would 'risk' fitting this to a customer car (that runs Bosch EM & a MAF)

maybe they're unaware of why it can't ever work

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
Don't take it personally :) no offence meant. As for m0rk being sarcastic 'never' it's the first time I've known him to be like that over whooshy dump valves.

Strike

m0rk said:
obviously........

I only know what I've read, seen & done.

I'm suprised that Awesome who are a good firm would 'risk' fitting this to a customer car (that runs Bosch EM & a MAF)

maybe they're unaware of why it can't ever work

I'm not sure if its 100% re-circ, will get the receipt out when i get home and put the code down. There are two companies involved here then, bailey and awesome.

Tell you what i'll go get myself plugged in and see whats coming up and post it here, assuming i can find the time that is :rolleyes:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
Strike, im sorry mate but, they dont work. (in the accepted sense that working means operating to a positive outcome without detriment to its surroundings)

we (the forum) have been asked this question quite literally over i would guess at 1000 times (and thats going off 1 in 10 members asking it)

there is a very lengthy post by a Prodrive employee (max torque) who studies/writes fuel maps/ecu's about how and why they do not "work"

im very surprised awesome are selling this and fitting it to peoples cars.

even if its the gfb/new dimensions copy that allegedly "recircs when you need it to" they still dont work

we just get tired of hearing it (and you are not the only one mate :) )

Strike

I am very well aware that this has been asked over and over, just because i don't post much on here doesn't mean i'm a newbie.

Look at the title people then look for the word yet in the post.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
oh - and getting plugged into vag-com won't determine if it's working or not, but may (if you're very lucky) give you enough information that it's over fuelling - but you'll have to be running with load at the time.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Sorry Strike but i have to agree with all the above posts, personally speaking i'd remove it before it causes any problems. It's that old case of it's working fine no problems... but for how long??

CupraPower

Jan 29, 2004
Woking, Surrey
Visit site
You dont need an atmospheric dv for the noise your after.
Just get an Re-circ, CAI and ecu remap.

I might try to get a video clip of my car. As it sounds like an atmospheric. All fitted correctly for last 2000-3000 miles.
Thus avoiding nearly all the potential problems.

Ian

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org

pint_of_stella

Sep 24, 2004
Woking, Surrey
I know very little about engines, but even I know that its not a good idea to fit this to your car. Your venting air that isn't meant to be vented!? All the best though.

Buy a scooby

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
If you want a whoosh get this...........

wotsits.jpg

'cos you only get a whoosh with a wotsit. :thumbup:

I thought everyone knew that :hide:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
Strike said:
I am very well aware that this has been asked over and over, just because i don't post much on here doesn't mean i'm a newbie.

Look at the title people then look for the word yet in the post.

wasnt trying to imply you were a noob mate, just trying to warn you over the possible consequences of fitting an atmos valve

:cheers:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members