• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Stearing Light Fault

awins

Please can anyone help me im not technically minded, I have a Ibiza 1.4SE and from time to time after starting the engine the Stearing Light remains light on the dash and the power the stearing is not assisted.
Its been back to the dealer on several occasions but they havnt been able to cure the problem. The car is only just four years old and started doing this about eighteen months ago.
The odd thing is that if I stop the engine then restart it, the fault clears itself and all is fine until the next time.
This is becomming more and more anoying please does anyone have any ideas of what this may be.
Many thanks Alan.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
If it's diesel and happens on colder mornings, try this, after the heater coil lamp goes out wait for 2-3 seconds and you should hear it's relay switch -there will be a click under the dash, if you now start without getting a steering alarm I think i'ts the battery staring to lose some juice and maybe a charge would help, hope this helps it's taken me 3 years to figure mine out

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
I get this on my 1.9tdi. I bought it in Sept 06 and around about Nov/Dec 06 it started showing the fault.
As you say, turning off and restarting always solves it. It only happens in colder/damp wintery weather. This year it has been a lot better (touch wood) than it was last year.

I have started doing as suggested above and waiting for the steering light to go out on the dash before turning the engine over. This seems to have lessened the problem. There is a very old thread on here about it, that mentions damp getting into the PS pump. I am sure someone mentioned £800 or so to replace, so I haven't bothered.

Anyway, here's the thread:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82233&highlight=power+steering

awins

Cheers thanks for your advice I forgot to mention that my car was a Petrol would that make any difference I wonder. Looking back at the other threads it seems like a common problem if I can find the wiring connector to the pump I will try to give it a spray with some type of WD40 I will look in Halfords.
More advice is more than welcome ps im new to the site.
Cheers Alan.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.