Smoked lights

1835harri

The legend
May 21, 2007
Llanelli, SW Wales
hey all, just got my new rear lights the other day. slightly tinted. not full on smoked. what you think. Thinking of spraying my black bits next? any tips. im not taking it to the garage, cause i can do it myself and its a waste of money. anyne done it before that can show me some pics.
cimg1141er7.jpg
cimg1143yk0.jpg

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
yeah cheers for that man ! ! fiddly trying to get the ones in the boot out. lol one bolt that was hard to get to.

Tell me about it, I had the OE's to remove then the fully smoked on one side, them on the other and then had to remove one again and fit the matching fully smoked. Did really well until the very last nut and dropped it down the hole. Took ages in my mates to find a suitable replacement nut. :lol:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
at hat price ill give it a go myself :-o

I didn't think they were too bad a price. Knock off £30-£40 if you sell your OE lights. They can always be sold on when you sell your car etc...

If you do them yourself I'm sure the finish will not be as good. I tinted some indicators and laquered them. They looked ok from a small distance but up close kinda looked a little speckaly.

I'd but another standard set to practice on as it would be a pain to remove if you fecked up. :p

Cupraloon

Thinking of spraying my black bits next? any tips. im not taking it to the garage, cause i can do it myself and its a waste of money. anyne done it before that can show me some pics.

I've been considering doing my black bits on just the door's and apparently you can buy primered trims from seat, ready to paint, but after the hash up i made of painting my delocking cap, which i'm going to have to redo, i'm a little apprensive.. :whistle:

Btw, the lights look good fella...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
a colour code would only cost 150 - 200 for a professional to do.

Considering the Primed side bits are £24 each thats £100 for parts add on 30 for materials and you might aswell get someone professional to do with a perfect finnish.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I did my tailights on my Arosa, took a few hours and I keep getting asked where I bought them from. Pretty easy to do yourself, all about preparation. Lets face it if a numbnuts like me can do it anyone can !

Mr Az

Wants it wide & low
Nov 15, 2007
Bucks
www.myspace.com
So how would you go about tinting them yourself? sand the inside of the lense? (sorry for the noob questions) And where can you get the spray?

Rookwise

Meeeep Meeeeep !!!!!
As beezasport said. You can get tinting spray from most places like Halfords, Demon Tweeks etc. One of the most comon brands is Folia Tec although there are plenty of others and not just in a smoked tint either. I remember doing my old 82 Mini's rear lights in Blue tinting spray.

Then just buy a small can of clear laquer and go over the light unit.

As also mentioned. Its might be best to get a spare set of lights to practice on. Best place is Ebay or a scrappy as main dealer price for each rear light unit (4 in total) is £65 each (£130 a side)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members