• Guest would you be interested in CUPRA or SEAT valve caps? let us know in the poll

• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Slow Occasional Coolant loss over 5 month, some questions.

Jun 15, 2024
I've posted this a comment on different thread but didn't want to distract had a few extra thoughts on it.

I've a 2016 1.8tsi FR DSG Estate on 68k.
I'm noticing that I'm loosing a bit of coolant over time. I bought the car June from a as a part ex from a PSA/Vauxhall/KGM (Non VAG) dealership, and was it was serviced when I bought it, Sparkplugs/Oil/Coolant etc. I got a 3 year extended warranty on purchase too, mostly due to mild concern on the DSG being not super reliable.

Since then I have have topped coolant up twice possibly 3 times from around/below minimum. neither times the coolant light has come on, mostly either noticed while tinkering/installing mods/routine checks, just new car stuff etc.

1st time around August before a week's camping trip in the lakes from above min.
2nd, end of September before going Rustival 2 (400mile round trip), maybe from half way.
3rd. most recently this Wednesday from below the Minimum.

I've driven around of 3500 miles since I've bought it. And trying to figure out the cause.

I haven't noticed any white smoke from the rear, only the usual on the more recent cold morning starts, but I'm positive I've had people flash me from behind after a few hard pulls getting up to speed on 60 roads, and coming off motorway slip roads. I was thinking it's the coolant tank/cap, as it's the most common/easy to change part. And noticed a bit of red/pink liquid near the tanks overflow wep/chute, a bit a go but not a massive enough to concern me. Can't smell anything burning. I did see steam coming out after one time, but that was after some really bad rain and having to drive through lots of small sections of slightly flooded roads no deeper than 3-4 inches/8-10cm so put it down to that.

All the pipes look good inside the engine bay, but could have some more buried I can't see. It's a stock tune, but I've got a Ram-Air Turbo Elbow, Silicone Intake Hose and panel filler. Pikey R600 Air collector mod, with extra oem blanking plate from the Golf R. Purely for the improved induction sound/turbo noises. When I fitted the turbo elbow I did notice a bit of oil in the stock elbow but again it was just a small bit, probably from the PCV tube on top of the elbow. I also hasn't lost any major amounts of oil. Maybe 500ml

It's sometimes smells little warm after a longer, more spicy drive. But aside from what I assumed is the exhaust cooling "ticks" and the sound of the water pump running for a bit after engine shut off, I can't find anything. Equal heat is coming from both side of the vents so I don't think it's the heater matrix.

I know the coolant tank/cap can be some of the causes. And it's a cheap fix.

Another comment on a different post said it could be the thermostat housing being plastic and being less than ideal with cracks.

While browsing for inspiration for engine dress up kits and billet mods/upgrades on tuners/suppliers websites, I've seen other mods for things like 034 Motorsport - Billet Coolant Vent Union, and knowing the VAG fondness for plastic engine parts wondered if there's anything else that could be causing coolant loss without it being head gasket, (no white foam) or obviously spit hose.

I know I've got the extended warranty to do work if needed, but I'd like to narrow it down before taking it somewhere and putting a claim in. But I can't be arsed doing all that if the fix is easy/cheap like a new coolant cap tank or that 034 union vent. I fixed the DSG Park Selector switch myself. I'm not looking to go for a tune either at the moment due to warranty and the gearbox being the power limit and I'm enjoying the car as is, just want to help it with better parts for longevity, VAG plastics and possibly a front resonator delete for improved exhaust sound and DSG noises.

TL : DR
3500miles Mixed driving in ~5 months and topped up coolant 2-3 times (1.5L?), maybe 0.5L oil I know its within tolerance. Am I being a little paranoid.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.