Seriously considering converting to the DERV side! Advice needed

Tall-Paul

Previously ph2858 :D
Nov 12, 2006
Manchester and Preston
My car started out as a ovni 03 sport tdi and was fantastic. i previously had a 1.6 golf and the saving i made by going derv were great, mainly fuel but also tax and insurance. I dont think it'll be standard for long though! Enjoy!

jamesmckelvie

Jun 25, 2004
you can't beat it for economy, I can get just over 300 miles to half a tank, and the economy on the mway is great, coupled with the power you be hard pressed to find a better car.

mattcogg1981

Dec 21, 2006
Burnham on sea, Somerset
Went on with Tdi 130 tonight and he let me have a spin!It is so different driving a diesel - u have to change gear much more often but the rush of the turbo is awesome! Gone from putting a deposit down on Saturday to thinking stuff it and going the whole hog and am now buying it this Saturday!

mattcogg1981

Dec 21, 2006
Burnham on sea, Somerset
Remap is a definite option I just want to tune it the right way! What I need is a beginners guide to tuning! Trawled through some of the searches but nothing 130 sport specific! What would people do first? induction kit/pd160 air intake etc?

Advice please

Matt

Triple D

search some of my old posts matey, had a pd130 fr, hybrid turbo the lot ;)

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Remap is a definite option I just want to tune it the right way! What I need is a beginners guide to tuning! Trawled through some of the searches but nothing 130 sport specific! What would people do first? induction kit/pd160 air intake etc?

Advice please

Matt

Depends on how much money you want to spend.....upgrade the clutch, remap to about 200bhp.....hybrid turbo.....fmic.....lower it, front/rear arb......strut brace.....etc etc

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
first mods on a tdi130

312mm Brakes
Coilovers
FMIC
Clutch
Cupra air intake
Custom remap

Wheel spacers
ARB's and strut brace
Upgrade wheels/tyres

or just whack on a hybrid from Allards...

Tall-Paul

Previously ph2858 :D
Nov 12, 2006
Manchester and Preston
This is what i did to my 130pd sport: (in order)
Alloys 17"
Cupra bumpers
Milltek exhaust
Eibach coilovers, farb and powerflex bushes
Strut brace
pd160 air intake and K&N Panel filter
FMIC
Clutch
CC remap

If your planning a remap a would definately recommend an exhaust and induction mods first. But if you really what to go for it then get a FMIC and new clutch!

mattcogg1981

Dec 21, 2006
Burnham on sea, Somerset
Seems everybody does it differently I don't want to get obsessed with making it faster I want to build it up properly. Can anyone give me prices of suggested mods above?

Matt

P.S I pick on my new car in 36 hours - woo hoo!

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
312mm Brakes - £250 from golfturbo.com [fit them yourself]
Coilovers - £400 plus fitting
FMIC - £600 [fit yourself]
Clutch - £750 all in
Cupra air intake £30
Custom remap £ between £300 - £500
Mufflerectomy - £100 tops

Wheel spacers £90
ARB's and strut brace £50 for strut, Jabba rear ARB £200
Upgrade wheels/tyres

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
as the cupra doenst have an ugraded clutch, or remap, coilovers, arbs etc.

plus the cupra is group 15 insurance, mine was far cheaper than getting a cupra. and my insurance only rose by 10%

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
when you get it decide then, you will know what you will want to improve then do these then the less important ones will appear next in line... i have a few things in my "to-do" list for the near future but everybodys to there own, so make your own choice in your own style and time....

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
as the cupra doenst have an ugraded clutch, or remap, coilovers, arbs etc.

plus the cupra is group 15 insurance, mine was far cheaper than getting a cupra. and my insurance only rose by 10%

the cupra doesn't need an uprated clutch or remap IMO, the cupra suspension is hard enough IMO and ARB's are quite cheep if you really want a bit of red stuff under the bonnet

for us oldies a cupra will only cost 400 quid to insure anyway :whistle:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I'd definitely recommend doing the 312mm brake conversion before anything else, it makes a huge difference by giving you so much more confidence in the car.

Triple D

The way i did it was as follows,
strut brace on the front the day i got it
cat back milltek non resonated,
312mm brakes,
down pipe and race cat (milltek)
suspension,(sachs race shocks and eibach springs)
Forge FMIC,
rear strut brace
wheels (17" cupra wheels in dark anthracite)
ALLARD VT2 hybrid turbo and mapping
at the same time as the turbo was fitted, removed the EGR valve and changed all the pipework from turbo to FMIC to metal ones, and from behind the headlight to the intake was also changed, then had a spa boost and egt gauge fitted,
uprated sachs organic clutch fitted a week after the turbo

that was about it tbh,
then changed the wheels to RS6 reps in september time last year, also changed seat sport strut brace to forge one.
Then changed the discs and pads in january this year to zimmerman x drilled and red stuff pads.
then in february 2007 i wrote it off driving like a tit :(
RIP

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.