Seat Leon TSI FR Vs Seat Leon TFSI FR

Feb 12, 2022
Hi everyone, I am currently looking for a seat leon Mk 2 (2005-2012). I am not sure on which model I should choose as the TFSI which is 197 BHP stated by auto trader and the TSI FR which is 208 BHP stated by auto trader. Also I have read on other forums that the EA888 engine is way more unreliable than the EA113 as I would like to tune this car and push it more power than stock. Any thoughts on which model is more reliable and thoughts on which is the more reliable engine? thank you

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
If you're in the market for a 2.0 petrol Mk2 Leon I would try to stretch your budget to a facelift Cupra or Cupra R.

The choice you lay out is essentially between a pre-facelift petrol FR and a facelift petrol FR as that's where the changeover in engines happened. If the FR is the only car in your budget then go for a facelift with the 208 bhp engine. It's an all-round nicer car than the pre-facelift.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the 208 bhp 2.0 engine in the facelift FR. It's essentially the same engine used in the Mk6 Golf GTI, which if you're considering a mk2 Leon is also a car that's worth a look, IMO. It should map to around the 270 bhp mark as-is and will go north of 300 with some basic upgrades (intercooler and induction).

You would want to make sure the cam chain guides and tensioner are in good condition and replace if needed but other than that there's nothing to worry about really.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I have had my pre face-lift FR from new and it's been pretty much faultless. I have maintained it meticulously though at a very good SEAT dealer. Only faults have been an ABS sensor and the radio coming on by itself. The car still feels quick, not blindingly so but quick enough. What don't I like, not much but i would say the radio is not that great but easily changed and the steering wheel is not the best ergonomically. As a reference I also have a 718 but to be honest prefer driving the LEON. Try to get one with Bluetooth and therefore the larger MFD.

Feb 12, 2022
hi, thank you for your message, just wanted to ask a few more things if that is okay, how is the gearbox on this car mechanically and when changing gears with it? I also wanted to ask how much I can push the pre-face lift FR without straining the engine immensely? thank you
I have had my pre face-lift FR from new and it's been pretty much faultless. I have maintained it meticulously though at a very good SEAT dealer. Only faults have been an ABS sensor and the radio coming on by itself. The car still feels quick, not blindingly so but quick enough. What don't I like, not much but i would say the radio is not that great but easily changed and the steering wheel is not the best ergonomically. As a reference I also have a 718 but to be honest prefer driving the LEON. Try to get one with Bluetooth and therefore the larger MFD.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi AZ sorry for late reply

I haven't had any issues with the gearbox. Its not the shortest through, but is smooth and light. Mine is completely standard engine wise, may be best starting a new thread on engine mods. I know years ago owners were getting huge Power gains. Also for info, i had ne new Dunlop SportMaxx R2 Tyres last week (18s) and paid £175 for the pair fitted.
If the car you look at has an Armrest, open it and make sure the hinges haven't broken (one of mine did) . Also check the mirrors fold in correctly both with the switch and on the remote (hold down wnen locking and open windows should close and mirrors fold). If you hold the button down when unlocking the car all 4 windows will open and stop when you release the button. My mirrors used to unfold but now i use the switch which isn't a major problem.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.